Mini-van where seats fold flat/level in back with no bump?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamBandFan

Reaction score
Anyone know the mini-van that creates the best FLAT level area to lay a mattress in the back with back seats folded down?  Where there is no lump or downward slope that most folded seats create?

One issue with my current sedan car is when I fold down the back seats there is a slope so when I sleep in the back my head is higher then my feet (that go though the pass through area into the trunk).  I somewhat solved this crudely to prop up the feet portion of the mattress, but not ideal.

Also wondering what hatchback cars and SUV's on the market create the best flat/level area for sleeping with seats down.  Subaru Outback station wagon appears pretty level with seats down, but not totally.  Is there a top favorite car, suv, and mini-van for sleeping in back without modifications like a wood platform or taking out seats?  I did a lot of googling but findings were inconclusive.

Aka "stow and go"

Later Sienna, maybe the Honda?

Dunno about domestic

It depends on the year and the make. In newer minivans, the very back row almost always folds into the floor to create a flat cargo space. In SOME newer models, sometimes as only an optional feature, the middle seats also fold into the floor. Chrysler and Dodge come to mind. If I were getting a minivan, I'd just remove the middle and rear seats and use the former seat storage spaces to store my stuff. There's no point in hauling around seats I'm never going to use.

Thanks for the input. Will look into those models. Removing all the seats would be an option, may have to do that. Then would have to store them somewhere. But that might be OK.

Trying to find best van/car/SUV for sleeping in the back for extended trips as a solo, with having to do the least modifications or removing of things. Not full timing. Newer model car/suv/mini-van are OK. Looking for a car/suv/mini-van that works well both as daily driver and getaway camping car. Reliability, gas mileage, etc...

Sell the seats you don't need if you don't have suitable storage for free

Not the Honda Odyssey! I can remove the second row seats and the third row fold down into the floor, but, the floor is still not level at all. It has a couple of inches difference in the levels of the rear floor and where the second row is located. There is also a climate control return vent in the middle of the floor that shouldn't be covered or blocked.

Beginning to think there is no mini van/car/suv that is level in back with seats down. All slight incline, some incline much worse (sedans). Subaru Outback looks flatter then others but still slight incline. So do the old Volvo station wagons look flat...but probably wouldn't go there due to high repair costs with old models.

Most get around this problem by one of two ways.
Remove the seats and build a level flat deck with plywood if necessary. Store or sell the seats.
Some just use storage containers, steel storage shelving racks single layer, milk cartons as the deck.
Sometimes, just a plywood over a non flat or angled floor or lowered seats, shimmed to level. This is the easiest and most common way, outside of a cargo van which starts with an empty floor, blank canvas.
Most adapt what they have. Lots of examples on YouTube.

Stow and Go is Chrysler/Dodge

For my current mid sized sedan car.  I do take out the seat cushion and the seats fold a bit flatter, but still sloped down towards pass through to trunk area.  I will have to figure out a better shim.  A right sized wedge shape piece of foam could work to level the feet area of mattress, but wold have to find that.

Any suggestions on a good small single person mattress for this set up for one person?  I like really small and minimalist.  I was thinking a cushion for one of the camping cots sold at walmart or amazon might work.  Maybe IKEA has a really small one.  I am over 6' tall though.

I'd ideally like to find a way to sleep in a cheap highly reliable economical car (such as a used Corolla or something) that is also used as my daily driver.   Vs. having to go out and buy a costly van/pickup+shell/suv (even if cheap to buy an old one, still $$$ to maintain it, bad gas mileage, etc...).  And I only want ONE car, don't want a separate camping trip car.  

I just want a comfortable place to sleep in my car for week or longer road trips.  I just hate sleeping in tents these days, don't sleep well in them.

Heck, I'd love to have a separate custom cargo van for these road trips if I was made of money, but too expensive to have two cars.  And I don't want big van for my daily driver since I'm not FT van living.

Appreciate all the suggestions so far!!!

There was a guy on here I think was sleeping out of the back of his Dodge Challenger. And he was over 6' and claiming to sleep well on extended occasional trips if I remember well. Do a search.
He found a way to do it. Find yours with your rig. Remove the back seats all together, install flat surface, add cushions and curtains, maybe an insulated box to sleep in for cooler weather and happy zzzzzzz's.
The road awaits.

I've recently decided not to get a big sprinter due to cost so I am also looking into minivans. The one I want just came out in 2017 so you would have to buy fairly new.. In a few years I plan to get one used. The chrysler pacifica hybrid. The rear seats fold down into the rear storage area to make a flat cargo space. The mid seats don't fold down because that is the hybrid battery area, but if you get the non hybrid version then the middle seats also fold down flat.

I think the Honda Odyssey has room in it and was made for several years. go to Youtube and look for honda odyssey camper

Looking at pictures online the Prius back seats appears to fold down pretty flat without removing the back seat and without the need to build a platform. Does anyone sleep in the back of a Prius without taking out seats or building a platform? Any other hatchbacks anyone know of do this well?

That is great that the Caravan and Town & Country mini-van back seats fold flat. But I checked Consumer Reports and they have poor to average reliability ratings.

My goal is a flat sleep-able area in back without having to remove the back seats or build a wooden platform to sleep on.

Doing some other Googling, the Mazda5 looks to have a pretty flat back area. Not sure about the Subaru Forrester or Outback for flat sleepability without modifications. Only so much you can tell from pictures online. I have found Suburu's to always be overpriced in the used car market....they hold their value well...which is bad if you are a buyer (but good when sell). And they are not quite as reliable or as good on gas as say Honda/Toyota cars.

Anyone sleep in a Camry, Accord, Corolla or Civic? I like the Toyota Highlander a lot - but pricey....I think it folds pretty flat in back...but still has the upward incline. There are lots of small SUV's these days...CRV, Rogue, Rav4, CX-5....not sure how they all would work to sleep in a NON-modified back area.

I'd look at a Ford Transit Connect or Nissan NV too...although pricey. And not sure I would like to use as my daily drive for when home at my apartment. And Consumer Reports doesn't have good reliability data on those.

From what I have researched the Dodge Caravan and the Chrysler Pacifica are the only two mini vans that have a stow and go system. As far as ratings of the 6 major vans the Dodge caravan is rated 6th and the Chrysler Pacifica is rated #2. The Honda Oddesey  is the number 1 rated mini-van according to Edmunds.com. I am picking up a Chrysler Pacifica on Saturday. I am getting a bed and galley kit for it. Check out gonecamper.com 

Hope this helps
Jim

My 2016 Toyota RV4 rear seats fold into the floor for a flat cargo area. I don't remember if it is perfectly flat, though, as I have a cot and galley kitchen set up and don't see the floor now. I do know the rear hatch door cannot be opened from inside....something else you might consider. Do what I did....go to a Toyota dealer, have them stow the seats under and stretch out in the empty cargo area.

I’d like to switch to a minivan. I took all the seats out of my SUC except the driver’s and there is way more space. You can store them if you want. I have always bought my cars new and driven them until they die and get too expensive to keep up (can’t do my own work) But why have seats I’m never going to use. My front passenger seat now has my chemical toilet and lots of extra storage. I often see people living alone in SUVs with the front passenger seat still there. So much more room without. I think the Sienna has flat folding seats but you have to check the year and model.