Solved hanging curtains behind seats in my van!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChileGirl

Reaction score
I recently bought an older Sienna to use for camping and road trips. Hanging curtains was my biggest challenge.

I followed some advice I read on this forum (I *think* it was this forum) and bought some of these clips for the side and back curtains.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E2S3HC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used elastic parachute chord for the curtain "rods," with the clips attaching the cord to the headliner. As long as the cord isn't too taut or I don't pull on it a lot, the clips hold pretty good. 

But then I came to the curtains behind the seats. I got a tension rod, but the Sienna walls are angled, and I couldn't figure out how to keep it up. I thought about brackets, but I couldn't find anything that would work. I don't want to drill into the van walls. 

Today I thought of a solution. I went to Lowe's and got some straps like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-1-1-4-in-16-Gauge-Wood-to-Wood-G90-Galvanized-Masonry-Strap/3376236

The ones I found are about 10 inches long. I came home and snipped one into two pieces, then put the pieces in the vice and used my brute force and then a rubber mallet to bend it into an S shape. Then I slid one end into the gap between the headliner and the plastic wall, put the tension rod up (with it sitting on the other end of the S) and used some duct tape to make sure it doesn't slide off. 

My curtains are far from perfect. I made them from cheap flat sheets I got at Wally World, beige on the inside and lined with black for the outside. I attached some lace I found in my sewing box to one set of curtains so I could tie the front curtains together and keep them from sliding around and blocking my view. I didn't think of this until after I finished the rear and back side curtains, but I'm going to attach something similar to them to keep them together when I'm moving. 

I'm attaching some pictures to show you how I did it. Not very sophisticated, but I think it'll work. I'm taking her out on her maiden voyage next week, so I'll see then how everything works. So far all I've done it take out the seats, give the van a good cleaning, lay down some old indoor/outdoor carpet I had to cover the seat anchors, and tie down my cot to the seat anchors with zip ties. I have a nice tri-fold mattress that goes on the cot. All my plastic bins slide under the cot for storage. (My luggable loo fits under the cot, too.)

Attachments

• Curtains1.jpg
    Curtains1.jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Curtains3.jpg
    Curtains3.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Curtains2.jpg
    Curtains2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
Awesome! Great pics!

Plus, any workable solution that involves duct tape earns you Geek Points! :)
It looks like the bracket is wide enough that it might be worth using a velcro strap (or something similar), to make it easier to dismount then remount. Just a thought - it rocks as is. :)

I like your space!
Very tidy & homey and great for viewing the Great Outdoors. :)

I've been enjoying my windows, from a wildlife geek POV. :)

That's a good idea, Kaylee. I don't intend to take them down but eventually I will. The velcro would be easier than the tape! :)

I've just hung a big Beach Towel side wise on  wire shower curtain pins.  My curtain rod is very much like yours.

But I'm not that concerned with the looks.  

There are all kinds of colorful decorative beach towels.

Toucans-Printed-Beach-Towel.jpg

I use a black out panel curtainhung horizontally with binder clips attached. One "arm" of a clip slips into the seam where the headiner meets the wall.

Ah... The wonders of duct tape never cease to amaze!  Ingenious use of para-cord, I might have to borrow that idea...   Funny thing, seeing those pointed curtain hangers made my fingers cringe, having hung drapes before I know my fingers and those little pointy things don't always get along... :dodgy:

Duck tape and safety pins hold the world together. :)

all this talk about Duct Tape reminds me of Red Green. I just watched the Sausage episode last night on YouTube. lots of Duct Tape and lots of laughs. highdesertranger

Nice looking curtains...

...and wise advice from Brian.

I just ordered a shower curtain.... will show soon... if it works as expected.

Costco has these amazing blackout curtains for $24, nice and thick with holes big enough for a shower compression rod.  I think they have 5 different colors to choose from.

ChileGirl said:
I recently bought an older Sienna to use for camping and road trips. Hanging curtains was my biggest challenge.

I followed some advice I read on this forum (I *think* it was this forum) and bought some of these clips for the side and back curtains.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004E2S3HC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used elastic parachute chord for the curtain "rods," with the clips attaching the cord to the headliner. As long as the cord isn't too taut or I don't pull on it a lot, the clips hold pretty good. 

But then I came to the curtains behind the seats. I got a tension rod, but the Sienna walls are angled, and I couldn't figure out how to keep it up. I thought about brackets, but I couldn't find anything that would work. I don't want to drill into the van walls. 

Today I thought of a solution. I went to Lowe's and got some straps like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/USP-1-1-4-in-16-Gauge-Wood-to-Wood-G90-Galvanized-Masonry-Strap/3376236

The ones I found are about 10 inches long. I came home and snipped one into two pieces, then put the pieces in the vice and used my brute force and then a rubber mallet to bend it into an S shape. Then I slid one end into the gap between the headliner and the plastic wall, put the tension rod up (with it sitting on the other end of the S) and used some duct tape to make sure it doesn't slide off. 

My curtains are far from perfect. I made them from cheap flat sheets I got at Wally World, beige on the inside and lined with black for the outside. I attached some lace I found in my sewing box to one set of curtains so I could tie the front curtains together and keep them from sliding around and blocking my view. I didn't think of this until after I finished the rear and back side curtains, but I'm going to attach something similar to them to keep them together when I'm moving. 

I'm attaching some pictures to show you how I did it. Not very sophisticated, but I think it'll work. I'm taking her out on her maiden voyage next week, so I'll see then how everything works. So far all I've done it take out the seats, give the van a good cleaning, lay down some old indoor/outdoor carpet I had to cover the seat anchors, and tie down my cot to the seat anchors with zip ties. I have a nice tri-fold mattress that goes on the cot. All my plastic bins slide under the cot for storage. (My luggable loo fits under the cot, too.)

I used paracord, made the loop and binder clips, works great.