Miles Irving

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyDogs

Reaction score
Now that I have him running better ...  I will actually start a 'build' thread.

Seeings how the PO did a pretty good restoration of the interior and exterior only about 5 years ago, I will leave a lot of that alone.  For now.
I will just take out the floor carpet (not the wall carpet or ceiling carpet. lol) and put down lino.  Add some more privacy tint to the rear windows, curtains, and check that there is some insulation behind the ceiling panels.  Most of the time my climate is cool so being 'warm' is a good thing.
Then I will build a convertible bed in the rear (short-twin/queen) across the wheel wells, tall enough for milk crates to go under.
A folding work space and kitchen/storage behind driver's seat - convertible for when we use the queen sized bed if hubby goes camping.
Solar going on roof, along with batteries in a bay on Pass.side rear, and controller-etc.
Swap the static vent for a new Fan-fan and hood.
Fridge will have to go on a tray on wheels and be lashed down somewhere..

Working on how to re purpose a lot of the things I got for the trailer build.

And REALLY looking forward to future trips in this handsome van.
BlueRam.jpg

(yeah, I know I need more/new pictures.. ssshhhh.. I'm working on it.  mechanicals before eye-candy)

Attachments

• BlueRam.jpg
    BlueRam.jpg
    64.3 KB
Looks good. Well laid out plans and a goal. More pictures when you get time.

Rob

Thanks Gunny-  Yeah pics.. very soon. Promise :cool:

I also plan on adding 'house leds' to the exiting convo lighting frames as secondary lighting.. so one can run off house battery the other, separate system can run off the engine battery.
Also, I <i>think</i> I can use the magnetic screen gadget I got for the trailer on the side barn doors.. which will mean a large screened opening (yay no bugs) and also, by default, screened tip-out windows. (also yay!) And, even if not- the van is old enough that the steel door frame surrounds the windows.. so I can magnet screening on if I need to.
I know the front seats swivel.  (swapped them out, as the 30yr old driver's seat was a little beaten down- dogs can have that one) Which will be great.
Got lovely 'chrome' window vent-shades for the front windows.
Must admit, the Hank build and the trailer fiasco taught me things about what I do and do not want.

and looks like the dogs and I will be spending some time at the local surplus building supply re-purpose store...   again.. lol
At least the staff there - adore my kids.. :)

GypsyDogs said:
(yeah, I know I need more/new pictures.. ssshhhh.. I'm working on it.  mechanicals before eye-candy)

Tease!   ;)

Looking forward to a well built rolling home.   :D

So did some snooping- The PO, when he did his restoration, put in fresh new pink (shudder) fiberglass insulation behind the wall panels and ceiling panels. Not being ready to GUT the interior and try to salvage all the beautiful work he did.. I think I will leave it for now. Being a van, and not an RV, it won't be all leak-prone and stuff, so I am not too worried about water getting in. Maybe when I am ready to do a remodel later. I don't really see how the fiberglass will magically get out from behind the panels and attack me in my sleep.. lol
Though I am considering replacing the ceiling insulation, as I will need to pull some of the panels anyway- to do the solar.
Also some good news, the carpet (on the floor..not the walls or ceiling.. lol) is NOT glued down with that #*%&@$ epoxy. The guy just put a thin edge bead and then stapled it down. WHEW. Though he did only use 1/4" cab ply for subfloor.. Once I get the carpet up.. I will figure out what to do about that. Pull/Addto I know I will want something a little more substantial to connect things to.

Woo hoo, new (mo bettah) project! I was wondering how much of the trailer stuff you'd be able to repurpose, hope most of it, that stuff is expensive.

GypsyDogs said:
I will just take out the floor carpet (not the wall carpet or ceiling carpet. lol) and put down lino.  

Was it hard to remove the Lava Lamp?   :D

Following along!

At least yours has the motor installed.  :idea:

ARG- Ordered a carb kit and float (see 'Fuel-sigh' thread in mechanical..) and even sprung for the prioritized shipping...
In the hopes that it will be here in time for the 3 day weekend. aaaaannnd.. Nope. lol expected eta somewhere from 5/26 - 6/1 Via USPS from east coast.. (I'm in Oregon...) Well, I guess I can work on interior and change fuel filter and stuff.

Heh- figures.

Being right of the middle of my fiberglass removal myself, I support you leaving yours alone of your interior is already built out nicely. When and if you ever decide to remove it, I'll be here for emotional support : )

GypsyDogs said:
ARG...snip...I guess I can work.....

I hear ya.  I got a pad I keep of things to order on-line or get at the hardware store. At least three times during any one particular part of the project---and I mean something as small as the front of a drawer---an interruption must occur to get a part/material/tool. Therefore one must keep at least five various tasks going at once in order to maintain forward progress. 

4-4-ScienceCircus-Unequal.jpg

Got this project mostly done..
Old static vent removed.
Surface cleaned
Rust (damn you po, Caulk the Screws..!!) scraped and rustkillerprimed.painted..
dicor
New Fan.Fan installed.

Tomorrow.. EternaBond overlap seal, then rain hood.

and the obligatory pic of how to remove screws while staying mostly in the shade.. lol
IMG_2334.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2334.JPG
    IMG_2334.JPG
    593.1 KB
Now This is how you install a 'bulllet-proof' roof vent.

The straight install
IMG_8169.JPG

And the final
IMG_8170.JPG

That should do..
(You suppose I should send a pictorial to a certain trailer manufacturer??)

Attachments

• IMG_8169.JPG
    IMG_8169.JPG
    713.8 KB
  • IMG_8170.JPG
    IMG_8170.JPG
    665.4 KB
(You suppose I should send a pictorial to a certain trailer manufacturer??)

yes. highdesertranger

Actually, wouldn't be a bad idea to show corporate how easy it would be if that particular shop had their heads where they should be!

Latest posts