Might have a new travel companion soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every Road Leads Home

Reaction score
It's been about 6 years since I've had my last dog, longest stretch in my life with out one.  I was really sick for the last four and as much as I wanted one, I didn't think my sedentary lifestyle would have been fair for a dog.  I'm not at the point where I need to be walking a lot more than I do and I think a dog will really help motivate me to get out there and start doing more.  

I'm working with a local rescue to get this guy from a high kill shelter down south. He's about a year old.  He should be here first week in July if all goes according to plan.  He's currently going through heartworm treatment and once he gets the all clear he will be able to travel.  The rescue was already in the process of getting him up here and offered to let me foster him for a month to make sure he's a good fit.  I'm confident he'll be a great dog and can't wait til he gets here!

Attachments

• Cammo.jpg
    Cammo.jpg
    28.7 KB
He has such a serious little face right now. Can't wait for him to realize he's found a forever place in someone's heart. Looking forward! :)

For me, the ratio of joy to a pain-in-the-but for dogs is about 100 - 1 in favor of joy. There is no doubt in my mind I will live longer and better because I have a dog.
Bob

good for you!
congrats to you both :)
thousands and thousands of dogs put down every year for lack of homes - he's a lucky boy!

I'm so happy for you, I'm aso happy you are at a better place in your life you can take another being in. Having a dog that requires exercise is a win win situation. I am 62 and in better shape than I was years ago because my dog requires lots of exercise.

Diane, Ivy, and Cricket

Those southern dogs are great - a friend has 3 of them. I don't know what it is , but a girl I know who works at a Vermont shelter told me that the dogs they get from down south are almost always much more socialized than our Yankee dogs and get adopted very quickly, so big congratulations on that .

Such a handsome boy....good luck, I hope it works out for you both. I also believe dogs helps us heal in many ways, and we live longer because of it.

I am not allowed pets in the house I currently rent but I can't wait to get on the road and get myself another dog.

And he's finally home with us!  He had quite the journey the last 24 hours being transported up from Georgia to Rhode Island then Rhode Island to our house in Mass.  He rode like a seasoned pro in the back seat of my truck, like he was meant for the job!  Perfect vehicle manners.

Attachments

• 20160709_220204.jpg
    20160709_220204.jpg
    191.1 KB
It's a good thing you are doing, for both of you. Congratulations and Best Wishes. Rob.

Well gotta say he's catching on pretty quickly.  First picture was last night, he wasn't sure if that dog bed was for him or not.  Tonight he decided it was looking too good to pass up.  He's already house trained, stays off the furniture, knows sit, paw, down, and he's getting better with stay.  No food aggression and not scared or startled with loud noises.  Dirt bike was going full bore up and down the street when we were outside and he didn't even flinch and shop vac doesn't bother him a bit.  

Put  him out on a 100' piece of rope to see if he'd come back when called.  He wasn't interested in being more than about 40' away and comes right back when I call him.  Most the time he's content just sitting or laying next to us where ever we are.  

Think I have myself a new best friend.  Looking forward to the many adventures ahead with him.

Attachments

• 20160709_220417.jpg
    20160709_220417.jpg
    191 KB
  • 20160710_225112.jpg
    20160710_225112.jpg
    215.8 KB
He looks like he's snuggled down and called it a day. :sleepy:   Queenie would still bark and growl even if he is a cute rascal   :dodgy:  She's just like that.      TJB

Uggh, bad news for Camo. He bit a friend of the family yesterday and drew blood. I actually didn't even believe him when he said it because Camo's been so good. I thought maybe his claw scratched him. Then my cousin came over this morning, petted him, he was wagging his tail no issues what so ever. Few minutes later he lunged right at him and bit him hard on the elbow. This time I saw it. The agreement I signed with the rescue said to notify them immediately if they bite anyone, so I knew I couldn't overlook the 2nd one and contacted them.

They agreed to pay for him to go to some training/behavior modification school and get a full evaluation by them. I thought that was a really good response from the rescue. Even worse, he's now lunging at anyone other than my gf or me in full attack mode. I could literally pull a steak out of his mouth that he's chewing, i'd never have guessed in a million years this would be a dog that would bite anyone. Feeling pretty bad about it, got really attached really quick. Hope the trainer's can work with him. We want a dog that can travel with us and not be tied down and locked up 24/7 and can't do that if he's going to be unpredictable.

And I just got stung by a bee! What a morning!

I'm so sorry to hear that.
Hopefully the trainers can rehab him, and/or find a safe, secure home for him.  You would think the rescue group would have given him a full evaluation before he was released for adoption, but no one predict 100% what any animal will do in all situations.
I have a dog that can't be trusted with other dogs, and it sux - no dog parks, always watching for loose dogs running around when we're out walking, etc.  We all make allowances for our furry family members but life is much easier with a stable, well socialized dog.
Good luck going forward.

Latest posts