Might have a new travel companion soon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every Road Leads Home said:
    They put me on Prednisone with my Lyme medication to help the swelling all over my body, wanted me on it for a minimum of 90 days, I made it to day 4 and said never again.  I ended up modifying my diet for the three months to help with the swelling and that seemed to do the trick.  It's a nasty drug!  Not glad to hear your dogs reaction to it, but makes me happy in the sense that it further backs up that it's probably what his issues were about.  
Here's to some happy and healthy dogs moving forward!

I hear you about the prednisone, one of the big reasons we're moving back to IL from FL later this month is they've tried everything to control my asthma here and the lone remaining step is continuous low dose prednisone... and I am NEVER going down that road again.

So glad your pup is coming around, he looks like such a sweetie.

I was on Prednisone for Bell's Palsy, never again unless it's life and death, nasty stuff
Glad the new furkid seems to be doing well

I think there are two mistakes people make training a dog. Being too gentle or too harsh. Dogs don't understand sweet talk. A dog misbehaves and people try to comfort the dog and tell them how much they would prefer they didn't do that. Dogs really don't understand sentence structure. They most understand physical action and body language. When you pet the dog while you tell them how bad they are, what they get is the opposite instruction than you desire. Being harsh to the point of abuse trains the dog to be abusive or violent to others. When in a pack the leader does not say pretty please don't do that. Nor do they usually cause physical harm. It is more a matter of dominance or intimidation.

When I got my dog from the shelter she was what they call resource guarding. If she had something she liked and you got near, she would snarl. I addressed that by flipping her on her back putting a hand around her neck and I growled and snarled at her. Then let her up and we both stopped our aggression. It hasn't been an issue again. Dogs don't understand being disciplined for whatever happened 5 minutes ago. To them you just freaked out over nothing. You have to react quickly. Dogs live in the now. If the dog runs off and then comes back disiplining it for leaving doesn't work. all they know is they came to you and you freaked ot. better be real carefull coming to you.

Another thing she did was bark at people who were outside of the vehicle. I would pull into a shopping center and she would start. Anybody walking outside was something to bark at. Using stern NO's and a tug on her collar when she would bark at others cured that. She got the message that this was not acceptable and not her job to try to scare away parking lot intruders. Now she curls up and takes a nap when I leave her in the truck. We are both happier.

In most cases it isn't the dog that needs to be trained, but the owner. Many good books have been written. Cezar Millan would be a good start for a read. Your first job is not to be your dog's friend. You are it's pack leader. After that is established then you can be buddies.

What Danny said ^^^^^^^^ Plus , you're not the leader of the pack if you share your food OR bed with them.................

rvpopeye said:
What Danny said ^^^^^^^^ Plus , you're not the leader of the pack if you share your food OR bed with them.................

I have never had a dog that I allowed on the bed or any furniture for that matter and can't believe how common it is for people to do this.  I feel like it used to be the norm that dogs didn't go on bed or furniture, now people look at you like you're borderline abusing the animal for not allowing it!

My dog gets my leftovers still on the plate, and sleeps in my bed, and will instantly obey any command I give him
I can walk him past your barbecue off the leash and using only voice commands, and he will not bother you at all
Pack animals tend to sleep together for warmth
putting your dog off the bed and refusing him or her the comfort of the pack is making it the pariah
the best way I have found to discipline is to shake it by the scruff and growl, guess what the mother dog would do?
once you teach them a negative command word, you can teach them anything

DannyB1954 said:
I think there are two mistakes people make training a dog. Being too gentle or too harsh.  Dogs don't understand sweet talk. A dog misbehaves and people try to comfort the dog and tell them how much they would prefer they didn't do that.  Dogs really don't understand sentence structure.  They most understand physical action and body language.  When you pet the dog while you tell them how bad they are, what they get is the opposite instruction than you desire. Being harsh to the point of abuse trains the dog to be abusive or violent to others. When in a pack the leader does not say pretty please don't do that. Nor do they usually cause physical harm. It is more a matter of dominance or intimidation.    

When I got my dog from the shelter she was what they call resource guarding. If she had something she liked and you got near, she would snarl. I addressed that by flipping her on her back putting a hand around her neck and I growled and snarled at her. Then let her up and we both stopped our aggression. It hasn't been an issue again. Dogs don't understand being disciplined for whatever happened 5 minutes ago. To them you just freaked out over nothing. You have to react quickly. Dogs live in the now. If the dog runs off and then comes back disiplining it for leaving doesn't work. all they know is they came to you and you freaked ot. better be real carefull coming to you.

Another thing she did was bark at people who were outside of the vehicle. I would pull into a shopping center and she would start. Anybody walking outside was something to bark at. Using stern NO's and a tug on her collar when she would bark at others cured that. She got the message that this was not acceptable and not her job to try to scare away parking lot intruders.  Now she curls up and takes a nap when I leave her in the truck. We are both happier.

In most cases it isn't the dog that needs to be trained, but the owner. Many good books have been written. Cezar Millan would be a good start for a read. Your first job is not to be your dog's friend. You are it's pack leader. After that is established then you can be buddies.
I agree with all of this 100%

I spend at least an hour every day with him and training exercises.  He's eager to please and picks up new stuff very quickly.  I have his stay command down to the point I can leave the room and he won't follow, actually last night I was able to go upstairs and do laundry and told him to stay in the kitchen, ten minutes later came down and he was laying in the kitchen doorway!  He sits before doors are opened and doesn't go through until I tell him it's ok.  Same with the truck, he sits and stays until I open his door and tell him it's ok to come out.  He does need some fine tuning though as he's much better with commands when he's on his leash and in the house vs outside off leash.  But we work a little bit on them every day and he seems to enjoy learning the stuff.  

Also teaching him it's ok to be a dog sometimes.  I don't think he's ever had a toy in his life as he didn't know what a tennis ball was for or a rope to tug on, so been teaching him fetch and tug of war.  I think he's scared to chew on anything, wouldn't even chew on a rawhide bone..... so been letting him know it's ok to chew on his things.  The other day he was playing and chewing on his rope by himself, so was happy to see him being a dog for a bit.   

I taught him to heal when we are walking on the leash so he walks right beside me with slack in the leash and ignores anything around us, people and other dogs.  Then the other half of the walk I let him sniff and do all the things dogs like doing.  

Glad I've decided to see it through with him, the nipping made me a bit apprehensive at first because I had no idea of his prior history but it's looking like that was either a result of the prednisone or being in a new environment with new people or a combo of the two.

Twenty minutes every day at the same time each day and in a couple of weeks he'll get into learning big time,,,you'll be amazed how fast he picks up things you teach him.

I have been following your journey with Camo from the beginning. You have done an excellent job of accessing the problem and then finding the correct solution for the problem. I do have a question not quite along this line. Where do all these people traveling get their dogs? I have tried several times to adopt a dog from a rescue or shelter, and because I travel and do not have a brick and mortar address, they will not let me adopt. Almost every camper I see on BLM land has a dog. Where are they all getting them?

If you know someone locally with a home, have them adopt the dog and give it to you. Lots being given away on Craigslist/Community/PETS.

I do have a question not quite along this line.  Where do all these people traveling get their dogs?  I have tried several times to adopt a dog from a rescue or shelter, and because I travel and do not have a brick and mortar address, they will not let me adopt.  
I had this same problem, most won't even talk to you without a stick and brick. I made it a policy to fin the person in charge first thing, tell them my story and ask if they would let me adopt. If not, I just left. I kept doing it! 

I assumed when the stars aligned, it would all work the way it should. And, I was right!!!

I was in Jackson Wyoming, and after losing my beloved Homer I was finally truly ready for a new furry kid. I just "happened" to be driving down a street and saw a doggy adoption event by a local rescue. I stopped found the boss told her my story, and she immediately said that I offered the ideal life for a dog, lets find me one! And we did!

Cody hsd been a great friend to me and I give him the very best life I can--which is pretty effeing amazing for a dog!!!!

So, my advice is to keep banging away at it, put one foot in front of the other and leave the results up to the universe. When everything is right, you will find the dog JUST RIGHT for you!
Bob

I got Buddy from one of thise foplks giving away pups on the side of the road near a WalMart
despite all the dire warnings, he was healthy and is one of the best dogs I've ever had

Every Road Leads Home said:
    I have never had a dog that I allowed on the bed or any furniture for that matter and can't believe how common it is for people to do this.  I feel like it used to be the norm that dogs didn't go on bed or furniture, now people look at you like you're borderline abusing the animal for not allowing it!

I never had a dog that did not sleep on the bed and get on the couch. That's just the way it as at my parentsX house and grandparents' house and mine. That's also why I always had a leather couch with a washable cover. I can't imagine trying to confine a dog to the floor in a small rv or a van. It would spend most of its time getting stepped on or tripped over.

I don't think there are criminal penalties for "misstating" your living accommodations with animal shelters. You could tell them that you have a 5 acre ranch with a fenced back yard. They don't mail the animal to you. The shelter is trying to look after the best interest of the animal. That is probably exactly what your goal is as well. I think the shelters have their stereo types confused. I see no reason to deprive an animal from a wonderful life based on someone else's opinions.

When I got my dog I had a cabin in the mountains. I told them I had a fenced yard, ( forgive me Father for I have sinned). We spent most of the week living in my RV, and on weekends we went to the cabin, (fence not included). We have been companions for over 8 years now. Neither of us has missed a meal. Nobody would have taken better care of my dog. When I got her a friend made the statement that the dog won the friggin lottery.

My dog has very few rules to obey. She can rest wherever she finds comfort. It hasn't killed either of us yet. I don't need to feel superior to my dog, sometimes I wonder if it isn't the people who are the sub species.

I built a platform in one corner of my truck camper.
It was up above everything else because she always liked to view her domain.
4 '' of foam and a folded up sleeping bag made it major comfy , she totally loved it !

She also enjoyed the right 2/3s of the front seat , especially when the window was open.
We traveled a LOT !

Rats ! Somehow I posted by just drifting the cursor over the button....pics !

P In Her Bag T2.jpg

P-InTruck 1.jpg

16 years old when I lost her....

Oh yeah , she did get her own bunk on the tour bus too!!!!!

Attachments

• P In Her Bag T2.jpg
    P In Her Bag T2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 8
  • P-InTruck 1.jpg
    P-InTruck 1.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 7
Glad Camo is working out for you,ERLH.Me and Vic found a Beagle pup on Craigslist and picked him up on the way back from Mt.He and Buddy (our wire haired terrier)are getting along great.We are dealing with the usual stuff,pee and crap in the floor all over the house.No big deal,he's going to be a great companion to us all.Until a few years ago we didn't even let dogs in the house,now they sleep with us.

For those who are looking for a dog or will in the future.. check out Petfinder.com They are the no-kill non-profit connected to the Humane Society across the nation. You can go to that site, type in as much as you wish about exactly what you want male, female, doesn't matter, age: puppy older doesn't matter.. color, . down to the breed (Standard Poodle for me)... and how far you'll go to get it (50 miles...nationwide) and then you can also select that they email you whenever a dog shows up in your requests.

That's how I got Malibu... email at 8am with 4 or 5 of them him and siblings ...by the time I got home after checking with physical therapist, just Malibu left. He was the cutest of the lot too!

I was just looking at Mini schnauzers on petfinder.com last night and thinking what the heck am I doing. It's been just about 6 months since we lost the last of our herd and that's just about how long I made it last time. I guess that's how long the memory of the pain and expense takes to lessen and the life time of having dogs takes over again.

Latest posts