Mice!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USExplorer

Reaction score
This is my fourth year on the road, but my first full-timing during the summer months. And man, have the mice been a huge PITA lately here in Colorado.

Two years ago, I worked briefly for a trucking company. While I was away for a week, an industrious mouse at the terminal tore a hole in my firewall and rampaged through my camper, building a nest inside. I gassed it out with a bath towel soaked in ammonia, but was never able to find the breach.

Between then and two days ago, I have had intermittent issues with desert field mice entering my camper to forage. I was usually able to scare them out and drive off. One time, I had to bait the floorboard with peanut butter and use my hand as a human mousetrap. In any case, every incident resulted in a rather unpleasant night.

Meanwhile, the scent trail left by the mice was turning into a scent superhighway. Street signs, lane markers, all that. This summer, almost every well-established campsite had a mouse who would happily romp in and out of my truck. I had to stay in little-used spots or hang out around crazy cat people. God bless 'em.

Last Sunday, the usual happened. The scratching in the undercarriage, the scraping through the breach, the infiltration. Little did I know this pair of infiltrators were the Special Forces of mice.

Screw 'em, glue trap time. I put in earplugs, wake up an hour later. Two mice are helplessly caught on the trap, or so I believe. It's two in the morning; I can deal with this come daylight. Benadryl makes me stupid.

Come daylight, there's nothing left but blood and hair. Alright, glue traps aren't worth a damn. But, I assure myself, the survivors of mouse SAW would sprint for their burrows and have a group cuddle or whatever mice do to deal with trauma. I proceed to drive over a hundred miles with only a little nagging doubt.

Last night, outside Cerro, I park in a wide-open barren expanse, sub-prime real estate for men and mice alike. As soon as I quiet down, the paranoia builds. Sure enough, a faint scritching. Glue trap time.

Once bitten, twice shy. My nemesis (or was it nemeses) emerged, clambered nimbly around the glue trap, and set to work at revenge. I swear, the little turd did his very best to keep me awake. He nibbled boldly on peanut butter inches from my hand under the glare of my headlamp. "Slap!" goes the human mousetrap. The mouse must've had springs or wings, because it simply vanished. In a frenzy, I empty my truck, search every nook and cranny to no avail.

I determine to sit up, wait for it to reappear. He determines to wait until tiredness takes its toll, then noisily rambles into the engine compartment. As soon as I awake, silence.

I throw my bed down outside, under the stars. Sensing that quiet scampering would fail to wake me, he commences chewing plastic under the hood. By now, it is almost dawn.

I climb into the driver's seat, play his waiting game. Time passes; he begins quietly walking around under the hood. Hoping he is in a precarious position, I crank it, throw it in drive, and do a donut, followed by a sudden stop. Down the road to Taos.

Is he here or is he gone? Will a 50 cent snap trap be his downfall? How do I erase the scent trail? A Dollar General clerk suggested an amazingly simple method; a good undercarriage wash, followed by generous spritzing with vinegar. Will I remain legally sane long enough to rid my truck once and for all of this plague? One simply does not know.

Attachments

• P_20180903_014707.jpg
    P_20180903_014707.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • P_20180903_061949.jpg
    P_20180903_061949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
Hi USExplorer

Sorry to hear of your mouse troubles. I think I may have a solution for you though.

Here are two YouTube vids describing different mousetraps that reset themselves, so that you don't have to rebait/ reset them after every catch.

This first link is easy to make cheaply, you don't have to buy the spinning cylinder.

This second trap is a bit more expensive, but the kill rate is phenomenal. Definitely worth a try.

Hope that helps.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Time to invite Jack into your life. Jack Russell. Best lil mouse trap on the planet.

Good company, too!

The Dire Wolfess

There are some other threads around here on this problem.

I had mouse and packrat problems when I was up near Bend OR in May. Home Depot has an entire section on pest control, and I bought some of this stuff. I don't know how effective it really is, but I sprayed it all over the tires, undercarriage of the van, and around in the engine compartment (not on the engine itself). 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tomcat-14-oz-Mouse-and-Rat-Repellent-Aerosol-036830605/302683092
At night I also puts some traps on the ground around the van and dispatched a few. Never got the packrat.

Moxadox said:
Time to invite Jack into your life.  Jack Russell.  Best lil mouse trap on the planet.
There are also breeds called Rat Terriers, which I assume is an apropo name. My father had one of these, and it was the best little fun dog. His name was Jake, not Jack.

I haven't made this one, but it looks like it should work:

My build video:

Moxadox said:
Time to invite Jack into your life.  Jack Russell.  Best lil mouse trap on the planet.
Oh.  Never mind.  I thought you meant me!   :blush:

Yikes. I like mice, but when they come inside, they've done wrong. I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. I'll be taking this into consideration when it comes to how I store my food!

I have an arsenal of solar detractors and repellants to keep those little mofos out of my van and car. They seem to be working and are available on Amazon.

cyndi said:
I have an arsenal of solar detractors and repellants to keep those little mofos out of my van and car. They seem to be working and are available on Amazon.
What is a solar detractor? The little mofos usually come at night and then set up house in the darkest places in your rig. Nocturnal beasties.

My friends have a dog that's part Jack Russell, part dachshund. He doesn't care about anything but playing fetch. Now my buddy's kitten, THAT was good perimeter security. Shots fired! haha

@Rayd888 Regarding the coat hanger trap; there's no way these field mice would enter a bottle. They refused to even enter a covered glue trap three times their size. That's why expunging the scent trail will keep them out of my truck...I'm hoping.

@AMGS3 The bucket trap is suited for eradicating a serious infestation. I'll keep it in mind if I have to camp in an infested area.

@USExplorer - Crap. Then you're best off getting a cat. I had rats in a house I lived in once. It was in the Caribbean where houses are open, so rats would come and go as they pleased.

I got a kitten, and even though one of those rats could easily eat it, the smell of cat alone kept them away from that moment on. Never saw a rat again!

My build video:

USExplorer said:
@AMGS3 The bucket trap is suited for eradicating a serious infestation. I'll keep it in mind if I have to camp in an infested area.
I looked at the bucket trap videos. I'll bet the plank-walker would get the larger rats too, if the ramp is placed on the end of plank as at the end of the video, and a single plank is used which is longer and wider to accommodate the larger rat size. Next summer I'm gonna take one of those to Bend and get that SOB packrat that chewed on my engine wiring. Thank you Angie. +1

^^^^Happy to help Q.

They do make a rat-sized walk the plank trap, too. The guy who makes the videos (different from the guy who makes the traps) made some mods to how he set his up for it to be more effective. Even if you don't have room for a huge rat eliminating set-up, it's interesting.

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

cyndi said:
Are they those horrible things that make sounds that only rodents and Dire Wolfesses can hear? I've thrown out several. I think that's what they must have used in Cuba to rupture the diplomats' eardrums....

The Dire Wolfess

Mouse population booms every year and will soon bust. That’s the worst time.

Be vigilant. Hanta Virus is a possibility. And there are more unknown.

QinReno said:
What is a solar detractor? The little mofos usually come at night and then set up house in the darkest places in your rig. Nocturnal beasties.

The units charge during the day. It doesn't matter where you put them at night. 

I'm on my tablet where linking is a total PITA.

Search amazon for solar predator eyes, a list of products may also appear

Mice will often leave a rig if they find little or nothing to eat. And mice can chew through just about anything except metal and glass.

When I have mice, I place all soft pakaged foods in sealable metal cans, the kind Danish holiday cookies come in. Thrift stores sell old cookie cans for about $2 each. They last forever. With patience, you can even find oversized metal cookie cans in thrift stores. They are the best solution for locking away soft-packaged foods from our rodent friends. :)

Glass containers will work, too, but I don't like to use them because they break so easily.