Mexico??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qayen

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I haven't been here in a while...lost my login when the new site came along and am lazy with internet stuffs. Happy to be back. I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post, or if the topic has been done to death elsewhere on the forum.

I am wondering if anyone has personal experience traveling through Mexico that they would be willing to share.

I am planning to go there myself this winter. I am a solo female (plus dog) and have been living the mobile life in a truck camper for a few years now.

I have some anxieties, mostly regarding a poor command of Spanish, the unknown nuances of a different culture, and dealing with unforeseen problems.

I am really not interested in hearing hyperbole or regurgitated media sensationalism. I have already been told that I will get murdered and raped on multiple occasions, and am not interested in more negativity.

However, I am all ears to advice, tips, recommendations on places to camp, ways to navigate the culture, etc. based on personal experiences.

Oh, and I should mention that I do not plan on boondocking...I will stick to developed campgrounds.

Thanks!
Qayen

I am very tentively planning a week or two trip down Baja maybe in late January after the RTR. So far there are three total interested and one is fluent in Spanish.

We'll be going to San Ignacio bay for whale watching. They winter and birth their calves there and for some unknown reason they bring their calves right up to the small boat and let people pet them. So really I am going for whale-petting!

I'm only going down for a week or two but the others may stay longer, I don't know. At any rate, you MIGHT can caravan one or both ways with us. All are welcome, the more the better and safer.

My plans are pretty tentative, but I really want to do this before I die. And tomorrow is NEVER gauranteed! If not now, WHEN?!!
Bob

I only spent two weeks there but thoroughly enjoyed it. You didn't say what part of Mexico you will be going to. I stayed at four different campgrounds and boondocked the rest of the time. I think Bob will allow me to provide a link to the Mexican travel forum on another site. These folks know the area and can give you precise directions if you can tell them where you are going.

I had a great time, the language barrier was almost non-existent and the people were friendly. I saw several women traveling alone and they all seemed to be having a good time. It's like anywhere else, if you are uncomfortable for any reason....Leave.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/66.cfm

bobj,
Helpful links are always welcome! I'll study that one myself!

Thanks for sharing it with us! :)
Bob

Thanks for the info! You're right I didn't say what part...perhaps my subconcios is still undecided :)

I am tentatively thinking to cross at Brownsville. Gulf coast to Lake Catemaco, on down to Yucatan. Then, into Oaxaca followed by Port Escondido-ish than back to the States via the west coast.

I am considering a few weeks at a language immersioms school somewhere along the way.... so if anyone has experience with that, I'd love to hear it.

I think I will already be there by January, but will stay tuned to the caravan possibilty. My plans are always loose, just the way I like them.

bobj....where did you go for the two weeks?

Qayen, I went to the Baja Peninsula area, I had been visiting a friend in San Diego and it was closest. And at the time, easiest to get into and out of. Much less paperwork needed to get into and out of.

Things seem to change quickly as far as TIP requirements regarding bringing a vehicle into Mexico and paperwork needed if you go into the interior. The caravan thing interests me but not if it were one that had a strict timetable.

There are some folks on the site I posted that can, and will, direct you to almost any campground in any area and probably tell you who runs it. Amazing group of people. Sort of like here, everyone wants to help. And there are solo women travelers that post there.

And Thanks Bob. You help us all so much.. Safe Travels..Bob J

I've done a lot of RV travel and boondocking in Mexico. It's very different from here, in so many ways. There aren't nearly as many campgrounds and RV parks, for one thing. There is a guidebook by Mike and Terri Church that Amazon probably has, don't know if it's been updated.

Here's a website I made about our travels there, mostly about 10 years ago. I would be a bit less sanguine now.

http://www.mexico-with-heart.com/

And here is the beginning of the story of our 2003 trip:
http://www.mexico-with-heart.com/2003/introduction/

To give you the flavor, here is much of that page:

“Aren’t you afraid to travel to Mexico?”

I had heard the question before, but this time it startled me. The young woman asking it was a Mexican-American working in a Wal-Mart in a Texas border town. I didn’t expect it from her. She had never crossed the border, she confided. Lowering her voice so nobody else could hear, she whispered, “May God protect you.”

I thanked her and told her that we had traveled to Mexico before. True, I was a little apprehensive about some things – traffic, finding good places to park our small motorhome, traveling on a pretty modest budget, and so on.

But mainly I was excited about going back to a place where I find it so easy to live fully from my heart. Most of the Mexicans do it, and it rubs off on me. I love it.

I love passing strangers on the street and exchanging greetings. I love the ready smiles, the courtesy, the friendliness, the encouragement that meets any attempt to speak Spanish.

Just being in Mexico, experiencing the beauty and the climate, the people and the history, the food and the handicrafts, fills my days with enjoyment – as well as with some interesting challenges.

Sharing thousands of miles of border with the United States, Mexico could not be easier to get to. Many thousands of Americans and Canadians travel to Mexico every year, and well over half a million live there. But I am surprised that there aren’t even more Americans there.

One reason is probably not knowing what to expect. Rumors of bandits and drug lords may keep some out of Mexico, though such people are hardly unknown north of the Rio Grande. Many Americans who live in Mexico say that they feel safer there than in the United States.

People are often concerned about illness; there are precautions to be taken there too, and even with those, some illness may occur. I can’t count the number of times in all my trips that I’ve had the turistas, even being quite careful. But I don’t want to miss out on things I want to do; I would rather take a few modest risks in the doing of them. And, as it turned out, I didn’t get sick this time.

This book is meant to give you an idea of what travel in Mexico is like, though it certainly can be done very differently from our trip. The book will also – inevitably – show you Mexico through my eyes. As you will see, my husband Kelly and I have different interests than what the guidebooks usually discuss.

I'll be in San Carlos (next to Guaymas on the Sea of Cortez) where there is free camping on the beach. Fishing boats come in every morning and you can buy the daily catch cheap. If you are so inclined, there are 3 or 4 commercial campgrounds, but why pay when there are other gringos next to you long term camping?

The benefit of San Carlos is the proximity to the Sea of Cortez, the fact that you don't need to buy a permit for your vehicle, as San Carlos is in the southern most border area, just present your registration, Mexican Insurance, and Passport. If you venture South of Guaymas, then you will need the expensive permit for your vehicle.

If you exercise common sense, don't drive after dark, and stay out of the bad areas of town, you will most likely not have any problems. I've made 7 trips by land from California to Costa Rica via the International Bridge near Brownsville, so I have a lot of experience in Mexico. Some of it was bad, some excellent.

Check out this site, it will help you prepare:

http://www.mexicomike.com/fuel_in_mexico/mexico_gas_diesel_prices.html

More there than just fuel prices.

Oh, BTW, I am fluent in Spanish, so I don't have many problems when traveling South of the border.

I can't comment on the east coast of Mexico. But, if my experience in Baja and down the Pacific coast of the mainland is typical of the rest of the country you'll be fine. Lots of places to camp. Campgrounds, Pemex stations, restaurant parking lots, free spots. Just don't stay in an isolated spot alone. Rudimentary Spanish is all you need to start. My first trip I knew abut 10 words of Spanish. Mexicans are glad to help you out with your errors and they want to practice their English on you. Mexico is a great spot to spend the winter. Warm, sunny, great beaches and cheap. We're leaving for Baja in 3 weeks. Getting excited. Looking forward to some Tacos al Pastor. BTW: some recommended books are "The People's Guide To Mexico" by Carl Franz, "Camping In Mexico" by Mike and Terri Church and any Moon travel guide on areas you plan to visit. The People's Guide also has an extensive section on street Spanish. Very helpful.

gypsycowboy said:
I can't comment on the east coast of Mexico. But, if my experience in Baja and down the Pacific coast of the mainland is typical of the rest of the country...

We've gone both ways several times, though it's been 6 years since we were there. Far more Americans, campgrounds, etc, on the west coast. but the wonderful warmth and hospitality of the Mexican people we found everywhere!

I am seriously considering going down there ( Baja Peninsula) come Feb myself. Anyone else want to start a convoy (safety in numbers) I am open to it.

Safety in numbers is a great idea! We're meeting friends in NM about then or I'd be tempted.

What about the most important factor - is there any internet access out there on the beach? :)

My nephew went down the Baja coast last winter and was able to purchase cellular Internet service there in Mexico. You wont get as much data as here in the states for the dollar but it will suffice for web, email, images, etc.

I purchased a TelCel usb hotspot in Ensenada. Worked great on my laptop. There are areas where connecting is dicey. No problem in populated areas.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share their experiences, tips and ideas. Much appreciated!! Gave me some new thoughts about the trip.

Latest posts