Men Just Don't Go There

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
One great lesson I learned from my mother was her ease to show her vulnerable and "soft" side the "not sure what to do side" and having been chastised ridiculed and at times humiliated often wonder why is this so? I want to believe we are all on a journey to learn.

That's very sad Wagoneer ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it helps any, I think you're a hoot(the awesome kind) and enjoy reading your posts!

Ummm... what? I'm not clear at all on whatever point you are trying to make. Are you having a problem with something or someone?

Is there anyone here who actually knows what this thread is about and, if so, would you explain?

OK "hand up in the air" me me me Just saying It's OK to show your soft side it just shows how strong you are. I admit the post is a bit confused but just remember who posted it, master of confusion.

Wagoneer....lol...love it and I understood what you were getting at. Not going to say it was readily apparent, but when I put a lil thought into it, meaning, the subforum it was posted under, the title of the thread, and the content of what you wrote, it was decipherable to me. :cool:

LOL Adrian report to the YARC and claim your badge. for the master of confusion. highdesertranger

wagoneer said:
One great lesson I learned from my mother was her ease to show her vulnerable and "soft" side the "not sure what to do side" and having been chastised ridiculed and at times humiliated often wonder why is this so? I want to believe we are all on a journey to learn.
Wagoneer, this is a friendly place, if you ever want to try your "soft side", I think you will be safe here, and remember, there is a lot of strength in being real, and showing your human, not always perfect side.   :)

I don't have a soft or vulnerable or not sure what to do side. The School of Hard Knocks started very early for me so I had to learn how to survive this nasty world on my own. But, be assured, I'd never ridicule or humiliate anyone that does. It doesn't mean you are weak, it just means you had a better life than me. We're all different and grew up with different advantages or disadvantages.

Growing up in San Francisco in my teen years yah long hair bell bottoms, drugs, opened the door to sexual predators. Being non violent did not help. older men (my age now lol) looking for love in the wrong place were ever present, i soon learned to trust my intuition when I felt threatened ran the other way i would like to feel I was not alone in these experiences.

I second the concept presented by Motrukdriver that without the content you cannot show the substance. When someone asks, "How does that make you feel?" or "How do you feel about that?" and the response is, "I don't feel anything regarding that", the resulting looks and comments encourage a subject change. With our various backgrounds and personalities, a blanket statement such as "Men just don't go there." is similar to "What? Everyone likes horseradish." (I do think that two phrases get used interchangeably, "How do you feel about that" & "What do you think about that", and yet they are very different questions.)
Another view relates to over 40 years in heavy industry as a construction worker, primarily at oil refineries, chemical plants, steel mills, power houses, etc in both construction and demolition phases of the industry. It's rough work and the people are generally the same, rough. Thick skin is a prerequisite and if a subject is broached you either participate in the ensuing volley or you run, because you now wear a target. Perhaps some men "don't go there" in an effort to avoid wearing the target. Many times in the field, I've seen the equivalent of a pack of wolves descend upon some poor bastard simply because they could get under his skin (thin skin, opposite of the earlier thick skin reference) in a vicious and uncalled for attack. It's pathetic to witness and is no different from the bullying that some of our youth are exposed to, which in my youth resulted in blood on my knuckles. It may be possible to become desensitized to the idiosyncrasies of our species, which could then validate the idea of why some men don't go there.

wagoneer said:

Maybe part of the problem is that most men are afraid to open up and in order to distance themselves from pressure to open up, they mock those that do.  The hardest thing to do but yet the greatest therapy is to face oneself squarely in the mirror and observe.  

I did that by turning off the TV and music, to live alone, and to observe the thought traffic in my head.   It was a rough summer but the end result was amazing clarity into my self and life and now my head is quiet.