Mechanics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seajatt

Reaction score
Are you guys traveling with your tools, and if so, are you finding enough work to justify the increased gas expenditure due to the increased payload weight? Also, what kind of rig are you using?

The weight of our tools has saved us THOUSANDS IN REPAIR COSTS.
Totally worth it.

Also.....What's it worth to NOT be stranded somewhere?
Many seasoned mechanics also carry a supply of those essential and most likely to fail parts with them.

But then again, a good mechanic probably does preventative maintenance at his base (if he or she has one) so that on the road repairs are very rare.

I tend to always be overly prepared and though my tool kit probably weighs 50+ lbs and has many tools I will likely rarely use. Its wonderful to have the right tool for the right job when you really need it. Even if its duct tape or a small sledge hammer.

I did a ton of research for my particular vehicle to know what tools I may ever need and added it to my standard tool list.

As for work, they are for emergency's to help my self and others. But i have made a few bucks on side jobs simply by having them at the time. If I didn't have them I may not be able to take that side job.

x2AUJVom.jpg

MMy8Q01m.jpg

I do carry a selection of repair parts, i.e. plumbing fittings, electric items, duct tape etc, and collection of tools with me. I also carry a scan tool for the engine.

Are you guys traveling with your tools, and if so, are you finding enough work to justify the increased gas expenditure due to the increased payload weight?
Do you mean mechanics who are trying to find work for income on the road? Or fixing their own vehicle?

I have been thinking about getting a scan tool. Can you elaborate on the importance of having one?
When the check engine lights come on, sometimes its something simple, the tool can check it and will tell what is could be. At least it will tell you how important it is, and whither it needs to be fixed now or if it can wait until you get some where. Mine will list it as a 1, 2, or 3, in importance. 3 being fix it now.

I had somebody try to siphon gas from my van a few years ago and it turned the light on, that cost me $80 at the shop for them to tighten the cap back, and turn the light out. Some times its something simple and sometimes its something big.

Freelander,
Thank you for the explanation. Do you have any recommendations for a scan tool?

Not really they can cost a little as a whole lot, and some will not check the tranny codes, Im not sure if mine does.

Freelander,
Thank you for the explanation. Do you have any recommendations for a scan tool?

So many options, old school that cost hundreds to dongles with Bluetooth. My Kenwood stereo does all this for me but a popular option is the Cirista dongle and app. https://caristaapp.com/

Depending on vehicle it can also customize some settings/features. Its only $30 and you can pay $10 for a month subscription for additional features then cancel or re-subscribe as needed.

Autozone and other auto parts stores will scan your car for free.

You can look up a list of error codes online.
That works if you close to am Auto Parts store, if you boon docking you may not be able to get to a store and have it scanned.

I had a code on mine that said 'reduced power mode', it would barely pull its self, luckily I was at my destination and was able to get parked.

There are a lot of factors involved (like your mechanical skill) in choosing what you will and can bring when you have limited space and weight capacity. Making sure your vehicle is well maintained and having a good emergency fund solves most major problems as many vehicles require special equipment or facilities and tools to repair. Some auto parts stores loan, rent or themselves install parts bought there in their lot or facility even when repairs are minor or quick repairs. Emergency side of the road repairs like flat tires or road debris damage that require temporary repairs which can involve long waits for help to arrive should be first on your list to consider. Things like duct tape, wire ties, wire, JB Weld, rags, flash light and rubber gloves you should carry anyway as they have many uses. Being able to do basic tasks like change a tire and at least monitor the vehicles fluids are minimum required skills in my opinion. A small tire inflator and tire plug kit. There are lots of small self contained tool kits and multitools that can be useful but without the mechanical skills to use them are not very useful. The best tool to carry is someone else with a vehicle and tools. Caravans are great help, at least to start out until you gain the experience and knowledge you need.

Oh boy, I carry just about every tool in my van to complete any mechanical repair. Some crazy things I carry that I have used for repairs on the road include torque wrench, JB Weld, duct tape, cable ties. RTV sealant, come-along, tire plug kit, torch, Aerokroil, bench vise, drill, sawzall, pulley puller, c-clamp, angle grinder, electrical meter, and a backpack to hike to a parts store.

Parts I carry as spares would be engine drive belt, radiator cap, thermostat, wipers, fuel injectors, brake lines, fuel lines, coolant hose, filters, and all fluids.

Things I wish I could carry that I needed but just aren't practical to carry would be a welder, balljoint press, starter, and a spare tire.

I break down quite often I believe. If I didn't carry the tools to fix things myself, I'd be stuck somewhere for weeks waiting to fork over thousands for a local mechanic to fix something that I can just fix myself. Between changing the clutch on the side of a dirt road outside Rapid City, SD and replacing both passenger control arms, balljoints, and tie rods just outside St. Louis, MO I saved a few thousand dollars from just carrying some tools and being prepared. Did I save more on repair bills versus paying the extra fuel to carry all the tools? You bet! Plus, more importantly time saved by not waiting on someone else to repair it for you.

Last edited:
On thing to remember a parts store is there to sell parts, NOT to repair things, sometimes its can be a bad connection that is causing the problem.

On my way to Q last year my check engine came on, and it didn't seem to hurt how it run, and on the way back home it would come on and go off. It seemed to do it every time I filled the tank, so I checked to make the cap was tight, that seemed to fix it.

When I got to Houston last July, it came on and a had a 'reduced power more' on the dash, I called a mobil mechanic out to look at it. I had multiple codes set, and some of those was from some bad gas I had bought, (NOTE: There was a service bulletin put out that during COVID the EPA was not enforcing fuel standards so some of the gas companies were selling bad gas, he has seen this happen before.) He told me the most of the time what he has found is a bad connection somewhere.

He looked around and finally found it. One of the connectors under the hood had a pin that had slipped out of the connector a bit and was causing the light to go on and off. He reseated the pin and cleared the codes and I have not had any problems since. He only charged me labor and there were no parts needed.

Oh, mobile mechanics? Wouldn't one need to carry tools for that line of work?