MDT Registered as RV in CA (possibly AZ)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twitch

Reaction score
[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]Thinking of buying a 1995 F800 that currently has a flat bed on it.[/font]
[/font]

[font=Roboto,] [/font]

[font=Roboto,]I am going to be mainly using this to just drive around town like a normal truck and tow my PERSONAL Recreations Use off-road truck on a trailer a couple times a year (it mostly gets towed behind my motorhome)[/font]

[font=Roboto,] [/font]

[font=Roboto,]I am purchasing it out of state and would like to register in CA as a Recreation Vehicle to minimize the cost of insurance and registration.[/font]

[font=Roboto,] [/font]

[font=Roboto,]From my understanding I need to do the following. [/font]

[font=Roboto,] [/font]

[font=Roboto,]- Comply with this "A vehicle where any FOUR of the following SIX items. 1. Toilet 2. Sink 3. 110 volt AC power 4. Heating and or A/C 5. Cooking facilities 6. Refrigeration"[/font]

[font=Roboto,]- Remove all air connections for trailer (suggested by someone to avoid any questions)[/font]

[font=Roboto,]- Have an inspection by CHP[/font]

[font=Roboto,]- Weigh Truck[/font]

[font=Roboto,]- Go to DMV and register as RV when I put title in my name. [/font]

[font=Roboto,] [/font]

[font=Roboto,]THOUGHTS:[/font]

[font=Roboto,] [/font]

[font=Roboto,]- Can I just frame a quick camper  out of 2x4's and plywood on the flat bed that has the four of the six items listed?[/font]

[font=Roboto,]- I have some family in Arizona I was wondering if it would be easier to get it titled in Arizona as a RV then bring it to CA the following year?[/font]

[font=Roboto,] [/font]
[font=Roboto,][font=Roboto,]Any help is appreciated, thank you. [/font][/font]

Attachments

• 43581251551.455431628.IM1.02.1000x750_A.1000x750.jpg
    43581251551.455431628.IM1.02.1000x750_A.1000x750.jpg
    145.9 KB
Welcome to the CRVL forums Twitch! Sorry I can't help you but we have members who know something about everything so hopefully you get some good answers and suggestions soon!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

by far the cheapest way to do this is to get a travel trailer remove the axle and bolt it to the truck. I have seen a few done like this in CA. they can't argue with you because it is an RV complete with the RVIA sticker. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
by far the cheapest way to do this is to get a travel trailer remove the axle and bolt it to the truck.  I have seen a few done like this in CA.  they can't argue with you because it is an RV complete with the RVIA sticker.  highdesertranger

Yea but the thing is I don't really want the RV features, I already have a motorhome. I just want to do it for inspection.

Eventually I want to just put a truck bed on it so its even more un noticeable.

putting truck a truck bed on it is a dead give away. RV plates and truck plates are different easy to spot for a LEO. if you were to get caught doing that in CA the fine would be huge, think many thousands. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
putting truck a truck bed on it is a dead give away.  RV plates and truck plates are different easy to spot for a LEO.  if you were to get caught doing that in CA the fine would be huge,  think many thousands.   highdesertranger

My motorhome plates are the same as any other car???

exactly but they are different for a truck. even a pickup has different plates than a car. compare your car/motorhome plates to a truck. so if you got it registered as an RV and you get those plates then you remove the RV part and put a bed on it the LEO's are going to catch it right off. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
exactly but they are different for a truck.  even a pickup has different plates than a car.  compare your car/motorhome plates to a truck.  so if you got it registered as an RV and you get those plates then you remove the RV part and put a bed on it the LEO's are going to catch it right off.  highdesertranger

Not sure I follow you cause I just checked the license plates on my Car, my 1 to pick up truck and my motorhome. 

And 

Googled f350's with CA plates and CA commercial license plates 

And 

They all come back with the same identical plate.

I don't know what you are looking at but the letter number sequence are different. truck plates are NLNNNNN or NNNNNLN and car plates are NLLLNNN. note N=number and L=letter. so when you register it as a motor home you will get the NLLLNNN if you then put a truck bed on it will be obvious to a LEO. the whole reason for the difference if so the LEO's can quickly tell the difference. all trucks in CA are commercial even your smallest pick-up. commercial tags are a lot more money. so if they catch you with the wrong plates and tags making your registration cheaper the fine will be huge. no matter what you tell them they will take it like you are cheating the system. I know what I speak of because I converted a motor home registered truck back to a truck in CA. I am just trying to show you the pitfalls of your plan. highdesertranger

It seems the lessons that teach us the most are the ones that cost us the most.

Twitch said:
[font=Roboto,]...to minimize the cost of insurance and registration.[/font]

If you want to minimize both of those, register it in a state other then CA. For example, I just switched the registration and insurance on my van from SD to AZ. A friend there let me use his address. Rural counties don't require inspections. You can register yearly or for five years at a time. I went with five years and it was about $225. I got the same insurance coverage I had in SD at a little lower price.

highdesertranger said:
I don't know what you are looking at but the letter number sequence are different.  truck plates are NLNNNNN or NNNNNLN and car plates are NLLLNNN.  note N=number and L=letter.  so when you register it as a motor home you will get the NLLLNNN if you then put a truck bed on it will be obvious to a LEO.  the whole reason for the difference if so the LEO's can quickly tell the difference.  all trucks in CA are commercial even your smallest pick-up.  commercial tags are a lot more money.  so if they catch you with the wrong plates and tags making your registration cheaper the fine will be huge.  no matter what you tell them they will take it like you are cheating the system.  I know what I speak of because I converted a motor home registered truck back to a truck in CA.  I am just trying to show you the pitfalls of your plan.  highdesertranger

O ok that makes sense sorry, I thought it was looking for it to say something or have a different style plate.

Questions: What if I got a vanity plate that said "CA SUCKS" lol jk but if I had it said something in all letters?

MrNoodly said:
If you want to minimize both of those, register it in a state other then CA. For example, I just switched the registration and insurance on my van from SD to AZ. A friend there let me use his address. Rural counties don't require inspections. You can register yearly or for five years at a time. I went with five years and it was about $225. I got the same insurance coverage I had in SD at a little lower price.

What all did you need to register it to your friends house in AZ?

Someone told me I would need to get a drivers license for AZ and show proof of residency with a bill in my name (didn't seem correct to me). 

How long ago did you do this?

Thank you for your help.

Arizona also has specific rules regarding amending titles and if I remember correctly if it was a commercial vehicle they will only register it as a commercial vehicle.

As far as address, since the Patriot Act and now with RealSpyD you must prove residency to get a driver's license. That means at least 2 documents with your name and the address of whatever state you want to register in.

Arizona doesn't care where you live they will register your vehicle. you don't need to be a resident of AZ, they will mail your registration anywhere. AZ is also much cheaper than California for registration and insurance. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Arizona doesn't care where you live they will register your vehicle.  you don't need to be a resident of AZ,  they will mail your registration anywhere.  AZ is also much cheaper than California for registration and insurance.  highdesertranger

So this sounds like my best bet, just keep it commercial and register and insure it in AZ.

So I can use my own CA address and they will insure it and register in AZ? I had never heard of this one but that would be cool then I don't even have to bother my friend

yes you can use your CA address when you register in AZ. you must get insurance in AZ. highdesertranger

Headache said:
...since the Patriot Act and now with RealSpyD you must prove residency to get a driver's license.   That means at least 2 documents with your name and the address of whatever state you want to register in.

Real ID is still optional in Arizona. That means only one proof of address is needed. Real ID is necessary to get on domestic flights or enter federal facilities. Since I already have a passport/passport card, I don't need Real ID.

highdesertranger said:
Arizona doesn't care where you live they will register your vehicle.

However, California doesn't like its residents having out-of-state registration. They want the fees. That's true with most states. But you can get by with out-of-state registration as long as you don't do anything that would have CA law enforcement checking/comparing your license and registration.

Latest posts