Marijuana and BLM land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it safe to smoke?

First of all (and I'm not kidding), pay attention to whether the area you want to smoke in is under a burn van. Depending on the level of the ban, it can include smoking outdoors. When in doubt, sit in your vehicle with the window open, but don't toss your roach out the window! Dispose of it safely.

As far as legality: since Federal law is still against our medicine, if a ranger, park police officer, or Border Patrol catches you smoking weed on federal property, you can be arrested and charged. I have never heard of an individual who was otherwise mindful and not making trouble, getting busted for merely smoking a joint on public lands (if anyone has, I'll be interested to know).

Certain areas in the Pacific Northwest particularly, are often abused by illegal growers. This is a terribly dangerous situation for the Forest Rangers, who find themselves shot at and encounter boobytraps set by cartel members. Don't give the rangers anything to worry about, and they'll leave you alone. They have bigger fish to fry.

Keep a tidy camp, don't be conspicuous, and you'll be fine.

The Dire Wolfess

we had our cannabis confiscated by park rangers. As soon as you enter BLM, NF, or national park state laws no longer apply.

Story time...

I was at a BLM site in California with a few other vehicles and the ranger came over to check my campfire permit.

As he was leaving he said, "By the way, this is technically federal land and weed is illegal here. I don't really care but just be conscious of that."

I replied, "Okay sure. Why do you mention it?"

Him: "Because there's a two foot bong sitting out on the bench."

Me: "Oh. Oh yeah. Cool, thanks!"

As with everything else, your mileage will vary. I have never been really hassled about it but I'm sure that a savvy ranger would use it as an excuse if they wanted to roust you for some other reason.

Welcome jerwayo to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

bLEEp said:
 . . . As soon as you enter BLM, NF, or national park state laws no longer apply.

On federal lands federal law supersedes state law, but state law still applies unless explicitly overridden by federal law.  As an example: you need a state fishing license to fish in all NF and BLM land and most National Parks (Yellowstone being one example of an exception).

jerwayo said:
:rolleyes: Is it safe to smoke on BLM and NF land in legalized states?
I am not sure I am doing this right, but thanks for your answers everybody.

first off did you go to the link I gave you in post number 5 and read it?

when you are quoting, after the quote move your curser outside the quote box and type your reply. I will fix the 2 above posts for you. highdesertranger

Yes I read the tips and also the rules. One asked that people not quote and I did not know that I had done so, so I am using this "Quick reply" space. Is that the proper way to do it? If not, please help me delete it so I wont waste peoples data. Thanks for your patience.

no, no they didn't ask you not to quote. they ask you to trim quotes to the minimum needed. your fine you can quote.

the quick reply is fine unless you want to add pics or other things.

did you notice what I did with your post number 7. I took your reply in post 8 and added it to post 7 then I deleted post 8. the finished post 7 is what we are asking for. highdesertranger

What if you have a Dr's letter stating you require marijuana because there is no other treatment for what ails you? (I have an adrenal gland disorder and there is not treatment for it

Lois

yugogypsy1963 said:
What if you have a Dr's letter stating you require marijuana because there is no other treatment for what ails you? (I have an adrenal gland disorder and there is not treatment for it

Lois
Doesn't matter, as long as it's federally illegal. I have a medical card in Arizona, but if I get searched by Border Patrol which is federal, and they find something, they can bust me. A case just like that recently went to AZ Supreme Court and the judge angrily dismissed it and scolded the Border Patrol officer. I felt so sorry for the poor patient who had to go through all that trauma. So I'm still a bit paranoid even when I'm in AZ, and I keep appearances very clean.

The Dire Wolfess

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty savvy about hiding the stuff and keeping the smell of it down. Also I'm not planning to be in the States very often and won't bring it across the border--too risky. There are enough areas here that don't allow it.

Cheers, Lois

Moxadox said:
 . . . A case just like that recently went to AZ Supreme Court and the judge angrily dismissed it and scolded the Border Patrol officer . . . 

I'm confused (a common occurrence).  An arrest by the Border Patrol would be adjudicated by Federal Court, the AZ Supreme Court would not have any jurisdiction.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I'm confused (a common occurrence).  An arrest by the Border Patrol would be adjudicated by Federal Court, the AZ Supreme Court would not have any jurisdiction.
Perhaps I don't have the article in front of me...but you get the drift.

The Dire Wolfess

I'm a camp host in Colorado near a Wilderness Area, which is federal land. The cop that patrols this area said she would ticket anyone with the devil's lettuce. I've seen people here partaking and I don't care, so I don't say anything. That was before the fire ban, though. Have to smoke in an enclosed vehicle now, but a lot of smokers don't care. Smokers gonna smoke.

Like anything else, what happens depends upon the officer's beliefs and attitudes and choice of interpreting the law, which on Federal land it's a crime. So you roll the dice and any one's opinion except said officer one might run into doesn't count.

I've read of people being jailed for copious years for taking a prescrption pain reliever that was not prescribed to them. That was years ago but still.

That said, boy, I've got some stories I could tell. LOL.

I'm definitely not bringing any "electric lettuce" across the border with me, nor any by-products of it (drops, hash, oil, etc) MUch too risky and I don't want to get jailed

Latest posts