Man crushed to death under wind-blown camper in North Dakota

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The McClean County sheriff's office says Jerry Kellar died about 1 a.m. Friday when he stepped outside to tie things down and strong gusts knocked his camper over."

About two weeks ago, I was camped on a high spot at Lake Meredith, in the windy Texas Panhandle. 

At about midnight some really strong winds, guessing around 60 mph gusts ahead of a storm, started blowing, and my truck camper was being rocked around.

My cargo trailer was on 4 jacks, plus the trailer jack, but it was still vulnerable. So I got out of bed, started up the truck, and backed up to the trailer and hitched them together.

My reasoning was that the truck would help hold down the trailer tongue, and also, because if the trailer flipped, at least it would be covered by my truck insurance, whereas if it was unhooked, it would have no insurance coverage if it flipped. 

Luckily nothing happened, but I was sure worried for a few hours while the gusts kept shaking my rig back and forth.

Good idea on the insurance thing and trailer tongue tx2sturgis.

John61CT said:
Good case for ground anchors

lol...

Ok, everyone who screws ground anchors into the earth, and secures their vehicle to them, everytime they park their RV, trailer, van, or any other vehicle, please raise your hand.

I'm waiting.....waiting....

All I hear is crickets...

:p

I'm stationary, probably for at least another year. What's this about ground anchors?

I could probably use some, though it sounds like something that would be insanely heavy and bulky to transport ...

I've seen some recommended for greenhouses, even seen chat about them for tiny houses but without any visual examples, but what kind of strength would be good for something as big and heavy as a trailer or RV? Mine's a 16 footer btw.

This is where an Aliner really shines. Would you rather have a giant flat sided box to catch the wind like a sail, or a teepee shaped camper that spills wind with 1/3rd the side area (and all of it down low) of a traditional, rectangular, flat-sided trailer.

I rest my case.

Chip

frater secessus said:
The casita's smooth edges would hurt less when it flipped over on you.  :)

Yes, and it would keep on rolling over so the first responders can find the body quicker.

tx2sturgis said:
My cargo trailer was on 4 jacks, plus the trailer jack, but it was still vulnerable. So I got out of bed, started up the truck, and backed up to the trailer and hitched them together.
I hope that, like any good sea captain in a storm, you turned the rig into the wind to keep from broaching.

For those of you who seem to know not how the universe works, it's turtles all the way down, so take the soup pot off the stove. I suggest the following instead, easy cooking when on the road:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stagg-Chili-Classic-Chili-With-Beans-15-Oz/10293421

When I was down in Quartzsite in the winter, I talked to a guy with a regular squarish 24' trailer, and mentioned that I thought a Casita might fair better in a rollover. He said, yeah it will probably do ok, but you'll probably not survive in the van.