Women Only: 100th Anniversary of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier: November 11, 2021

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantym1

Reaction score
https://www.battlefields.org/learn/articles/female-soldiers-civil-war

Dr Mary Walker was awarded a Medal of Honor for her service as a physician during the Civil War. It was subsequently rescinded. There's a plaque in the Vicksburg National Military Park commemorating the spot where a woman Union soldier earned a Medal of Honor (enlisted as a man).

https://www.nps.gov/articles/women-in-world-war-i.htm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_women_in_World_War_II

According to The National WWII Museum, some 358,074 women served in the US military during WWII. Of course, the credit for military service for many of these women, including the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots and its coalescent predecessors, the Women’s Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron and Women’s Flying Training Detachment, did not receive veteran military status until 1977. WASPs accounted for 1,074 of the women in WWII military service. Thirty-eight WASP members died in performance of their service.
The WASP Museum (Avenger Field) in Sweetwater, TX is quite good & worth the visit.

According to Highlights in the History of the Army Nurse Corps:

“In World War II, 201 Army nurses died, 16 as a result of enemy action. More than sixteen hundred nurses were decorated for meritorious service and bravery under fire. Decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Soldier’s Medal, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal, Legion of Merit, Army Commendation Medal, and the Purple Heart.”

“Five hospital ships and one general hospital used during the war were named after Army nurses who lost their lives in service during World War II. Army nurses served at station and general hospitals throughout the continental United States. Overseas, they were assigned to hospital ships, flying ambulances, and hospital trains; to clearing stations; and to field, evacuation, and general hospitals. They served on beachheads from North Africa to Normandy and Anzio, in the Aleutians, Wales, Australia, Trinidad, India, Ireland, England, the Solomons, Newfoundland, Guam, Hawaii, New Guinea, New Caledonia, Puerto Rico, Panama, Iceland, Bataan, and Corregidor-wherever the American soldier could be found. They traveled in close support of the fighting men, endured relentless bombing and strafing on land, torpedoing at sea, and antiaircraft fire while evacuating the wounded by air. In Europe, during the major battle offensives, Army nurses assisted in developing the concept of recovery wards for immediate postoperative nursing care of patients. The flight nurses helped to establish the incredible record of only five deaths in flight per 100,000 patients transported.”

These are excerpts from Army Nurse Corps history only; 543 US women died/were killed during WWII from all military  branches & Auxiliaries (such as WASP).

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/casualties/p_casualties_women_kia.htm

“Women of Four Wars” are grouped into two segments: interviews from the Korea and Vietnam Wars and interviews from the Persian Gulf and Iraq-Afghanistan conflicts. The series covers nearly 60 years and documents the changing role of American women in wartime service:

https://www.loc.gov/wiseguide/apr08/women.html

29 Apr 1956 Three Army nurses, Maj. Frances K. Smith, her sister, Maj. Helen D. Smith, and Maj. Jane Becker, were placed on temporary duty assignment with the United States Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) in Saigon, Vietnam.

Whether on the ground or in-flight threats in the air, 8 military and 59 civilian women died in Vietnam from bullets, mines, bombs, murder.

Women in uniform during the Civil War and since have performed their duties with distinction and endured both capture and death.

ALL women service members/veterans have always been/are volunteers. No woman in uniform ever had to decide between going to war or going to jail; answering a draft board or going to Canada. They all CHOSE to serve.
Please take a moment to remember/honor  their service as well this Veteran's Day.

Barry Sadler's Salute to the Nurses:

Thank you.

My great aunt was a Navy Pharmacist Mate in France, also WW1.

IMG_20201112_152745_01.jpgIMG_20201112_152733_01.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201112_152745_01.jpg
    IMG_20201112_152745_01.jpg
    651.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201112_152733_01.jpg
    IMG_20201112_152733_01.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 8
Wow, thanks for this, we’re planning a trip west in January and will try to get to the WASP museum.

I hope y'all do get 2 the WASP Museum. I found it a very moving learning experience. (Dallas) Love Field was named for

I really hope you are able to visit the Museum. I found it a very interesting learning experience.
For me, it's worth a repeat, as there's quite a bit of information along w/the exhibits.

Finding out that they had to ask for donations for the  funeral from the other WASP pilots when 1 died in service was heartbreaking.

Since the attack on  11 Sep 01, 152 women deployed to Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, and Syria have lost their lives in service.  The number includes two who were killed during the chaotic retreat and evacuation of Americans and Afghans from Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul on August 26, 2021.

Most Americans, and even members of the media, are not aware that 152 servicewomen have died in the War on Terrorism. With few exceptions, news stories about their deaths usually appeared only in the military press, or in small hometown newspaper stories and television accounts that rarely captured national attention.

Sadly, most Americans aren't aware that ANY US service women have ever died, been wounded/killed as a result of military service.

Thank you for y'all's interest in my post.

(Women veterans please feel free to post pix &/or experiences.)