Making Money On The Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonflyinthesky

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW! But its me so I will keep writing. I have been trying to come up with something that will pay my way, be light weight and possible to do and of course will sell online.
This morning I put a picture of some pendants I finished on facebook. I'm not kidding, within 10 minutes I had orders for 5 customs. So far checks promised for 4 and pay pal already in for one. One order was from a "facebook share" from a cousins friend in another state.
The quick math, materials and work factored in, about 15.00 dollars an hour.
I'm not talking each piece, that is around 7 dollars profit per piece. They don't even take to long to do and time is a factor when doing a simple formula for arts and crafts. People seem comfortable with the pendents price at 15.00 plus 2.00 shipping.

Social sites have become good markets. Don't overlook the others like Pinterest and Google+. We also used to do quite a bit on Etsy.
If you're traveling checks can get tricky to cash. Postal money orders can be cashed at the post office. Paypal offers a debit card so you can access your money easily.

Good luck.

If you making pendants, there is a process you might want to take a look at. It's called "doming" check spelling. It's basically a process of putting a clear dome on/over a picture of some kind. Here's just one example site for ya. http://www.dyesub.org/articles/epoxydoming.htm

Ally Bank (and others) let me deposit a check by taking a photo with my phone.

Photo check processing in a great way to handle them, but the buyer needs to wait for their check to clear before the seller ships the order. A postal money order is quick to cash and mail the order in the same stroke. Buyer gets their order quicker and there's no watching for a check to clear.

Just my opinion based on experience with online sales.

If you seriously want to go accross the country like this...pick a route to include some medium or small "cities", (50k to 100k population)
If you're looking for LEGAL work (and I assume you are) then you can contact "temp services" in that area. If you're not opposed to busting your @$$, then this would work out great as you can work for many places that offer sameday pay.

You may be able to get either free rent or discounted rent at private campgrounds by working ss night decurity guards. We were just at a campground in San Antonio that had that arrangement with tenants.

Latest posts