Making a PMF roof with a hidden area for Propane?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmorAbby

Reaction score
Hey folks, so I am planning on making a hightop with PMF. I've checked the height of my van and the height of propane cannisters.
My idea is to make the high top look like any old high top from the outside. But in the back foot of space across the roof, will be an area for two 20# propane tanks. These tanks would then feed through a hose in the roof into my heater and stove.
I dont want to keep the tanks in the van. Im concerned about getting rear ended so not putting them in the back. So I think building my PMF rood from plywood and foam will do the trick. There will be a few holes around the base of this 'pocket' so rain can drain.
Thing is, I cant open and close the valves each time I need to use them.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

How are you filling or replacing tanks. Are you not able to turn them on/off through that access?

You want anything that heavy down low for CoG stability.

Just make a foamie box somewhere in a corner, and vent outside from the bottom.

A horizontal ASME (not DOT) style could be mounted underneath and outside the living space.

If not enough clearance, then under a rise for seating / bed / dinette. If inaccessible, put in a remote fill like for autogas curbside.

A single horizontal forklift tank can hold 43.5#, but needs an adapter valve fitted, and some fillers balk at anything non-standard.

Have a look at the tanks they sell for Westphalia restores, sometimes on eBay for not too much.

To refill/replace, Ill just unhook them and pull them out. Climb up wuth the laddrt .. But... To open and close them every time I use them, Id have to go outside the van. Im not thrilled with that, So this, so far, is the only reason I havent started this project yet.

If the ladder is mounted securely on the back door so all you have to do is climb up not such a big deal.

***But Im only looking to climb up and down to refill.. not everytime I use them..

First , if you can't close  the tank valve each time before the vehicle is in transit then it's a no-go.

Second, a full 20lb propane tank weighs something in the area of 47 lbs IIRC.

Getting a round cylinder that weighs around 50 lbs and has no hand holds except the openings in the valve protection shield up that high is going to be some feat. Even with the ladder on the back of the vehicle it's going to be a difficult task. I'd suggest lugging one of them up and down the ladder a few times and then hoisting it over your head to experience it. Keep in mind that the ladder is only going to go to the top of the regular roof not the top of the high top.

Also, the tanks will be exposed to the sunlight during daytime hours and will be subject to a lot of heat that will cause gas to expand and vent.

IMO, if you're that concerned about a rear end collision that you don't want the tanks in the back of the vehicle, then find another place for them or if you don't want propane inside your vehicle at all, then go the distance and have undercarriage mounted tanks complete with regulator and regulation hoses.

I didn't think it would be too light, but had no idea it was almost 50#

I saw a guy in Pahrump NV who had a couple of propane tanks in milk crates bolted to the van roof rack.

MrNoodly said:
I saw a guy in Pahrump NV who had a couple of propane tanks in milk crates bolted to the van roof rack.

That's kind of like the theory that if you can see it on YouTube it's okay to do it.

Just because one person does it, doesn't make it a wise thing to do nor safe!

Almost There said:
That's kind of like the theory that if you can see it on YouTube it's okay to do it.

Just because one person does it, doesn't make it a wise thing to do nor safe!

I wasn't offering it as a smart idea, simply as an example of someone else having the same general idea, only with a lot less work or stealth. 

Me, I just keep the @?x%*¡x tank inside. It's no more dangerous than a bunch of the green bottles. There's way too much handwringing about propane around here.

The aluminum 6# 6" diameter tanks are very light, those I'd have no problem going up high, maybe secured in a length of PVC pipe like you see on work vans.

If you think they're pricey have a look at the undercarriage mounted ones.

20# are just so crazy cheap due to mass marketing, became the standard BBQ size, subsidized by the ripoff tank exchange outfits.

Also attached securely to the rear not too high but above sedan front-bumper height would not be any more dangerous than all the off-road guys do the same with jerry cans.

Put a big red DANGER PROPANE sign up would probably make things much safer than normal by getting all the tailgaters to back off.

European vans used as RV's, have a cabinet built into the van, vented to the outside, and sealed from the living space. With your plan you could have a gas valve to turn the gas off where it comes into the van. Then any leaks would be diluted by the very large atmosphere. The bottles would have to be well secured to avoid damage in most collisions, those ones that only happen to other people. There might be a problem with external tanks if faced with a tunnel.

Tanks inside are no less a legal problem for not just tunnels but many bridges and ferries.

If you intend to obey the law rather than just hope to not get caught.

Pretty hefty penalties too.

John61CT said:
Tanks inside are no less a legal problem for not just tunnels but many bridges and ferries.

And the last time you saw someone checking vehicles for propane tanks was...?

I did make very clear that scofflaws are free to take their chances, but I personally suspect they have good reason for the law, and don't find abiding by it too onerous, it's not that many places.

This year's Rand McNally's Motor Carrier Atlas is under $35 at many truck stops and has lots of other useful info as well.

Dumb question, whats PMF?

And will the tanks be sticking up above the roof line?

And you whack something like a low tree branch or a metal bar?

Not good.

Poor Man's Fiberglass.

Foamie DIY trailer box, skinned with light fabric and adhesive / paint.

Whole forums dedicated to such topics at TNTTT.com