Mailing address different from state residency address?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twokniveskatie

Reaction score
<span id="post_message_1274594274">&nbsp;i am debating whether to change my state residency. (my current adress is at my brothers' farm in the northeast pennsylvania area). There are definite benefits to keeping my residence here, but I need to find another way to do my mail forwarding when I go out next. Anybody have a mailing address or mail forwarding service different from there state residency address?<br /><br />tonyandkaren- how do you get your mail if your residency is PA?<br /><br /></span>

Residency and mailing address are really two different things, although for most people it is the same, and it is just a very small group that has a different state for &nbsp;their mailing address from their residence. &nbsp;There are lots of people however that have mailboxes in the US and reside overseas, or live in Mexico and have a private mail box in say Laredo. <br /><br />Now some things can sometimes get a bit confusing and you have to explain the situation to a bureaucrat, but clearly state lines can be crossed for mail. I have a friend whose mother lived in Texas but used Family Motor Coach Association in Ohio for mailing. &nbsp;She didn't have problems until she moved back to Ohio then the state tried to say that she had been an Ohio resident all along. &nbsp;Sort of the reverse of the problem that most people think about.

&nbsp;Katie - we're fortunate to have friends who allow us to use their address for residency.They also get our mail and forward it to us about four times a year or more if necessary. Sorry that I can't help with a local mail forwarding service.

Wandering Mike- thanks. I am going to do further checking. I have been helping my son get moved to a new state these last few weeks, and it is making me dread all the changes necessary if I go for a new state residency when I hit the road this time, essentially as a full-timer.&nbsp;<br /><br />Tony and Karen- I'd really like to do like you do, essentially have been as a part-timer, but don't think it will work on a full-time basis with the family member who has been getting my mail. I'd have no problem coming back once a year to do the medical/license/renewal stuff, but would so like to figure out a way to have mail forwarded....<br /><br />I'll keep checking around. I have a few months yet.&nbsp;

I have decided to use my parent's address. My mom will love having at least that much control over me LOL No me and my mom are like best friends but she tries to over help sometimes.... gotta love her =) I don't think I will order anything to be delivered in packages while I am away. I will just wait until I return every spring to do that. HuggZ

I have been looking into the mail forwarding thing and have found that a service costs around $100. My brother has been my mailing address for the last couple of years. But only mail no packages. If I continue to use his address including packages, I'd rather give him the $100 then give it to a stranger. And besides, if I have any sensitive documents that I need I would trust him enough to have him open them, scan them and send them. I would not trust a stranger to open ANY of my mail to scan it for me.

I use escapees out of Livingston, TX for mail. &nbsp;There are also a number of others if you go to the Escapees forum or RV.Net and do a search. Some in SD. &nbsp;They also will provide some info and help for you to get Driver's licenses, voter registration, etc. if you are becoming a full time traveler. &nbsp;<br /><br />If you can get it for $100 a year that is a good price. &nbsp;But if you organize your life, know what you have coming in, do all your month-to-month stuff on-line, etc. you can get away with a family member doing it. &nbsp;Tony and Karen seem to have a good frequency if they do that 4 times a year. &nbsp;I may switch to my son's when I decide to retire and reduce the flow. &nbsp;I do have some things that go to my son's house now such as voter registration and driver's license. &nbsp;Packages I just have shipped to where I will be and hang there till it comes.

<em>Hi Katie, <br />Obviously having family or trusted friends collect your mail, and use their address for legal purposes, is the best and preferred way of handling mailing address issues. A lot of folks that don't have that option recommend mail forwarding services in SD, or using RV club mailing benefits.<br /><br /></em>Twokniveskatie wrote:<span id="post_message_1274594274"> i am debating whether to change my state residency. (my current address is at my brothers' farm in the northeast pennsylvania area)...<br /><br /></span>