LP tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanCamper

Reaction score
Is it safe to carry a 20lb LP tank inside a van? I want to use LP for cooking and heating. Does anyone make a "hot dog" shaped tank to mount on bottom of van?

A simple google search brings up a lot of horizontal tanks.  Search term: motorhome horizontal propane tank

A lot of members here carry the 20lb tanks inside their vans.  Please make sure it is secured in such a way as a crash/rollover won't make it a missile inside the van.

Thanks Brian,
I forgot motorhomes DO have horizontal tanks.

I just tested my little buddy inside my camper with a 20lb tank and I am still alive to write about the experience.

The little buddy is strapped to the top of the wheel well with one rubber strap when operating and another motorcycle strap for travel.

The tank is strapped inside the truck on the floor in front of the wheel well I have a metal bracket to hold it securely but still have not decided on the final location. I have the 10-foot hose so when I am camped at a campground I can move the tank outside and place it on the ground.

so if the tank has light exterior rusting it can be refurbished but if there is signs of pitting it should be replaced?

Under body tank, or 20#?
20's you just swap out when old or damaged. Underbody tanks do not have exsperation dates like the 20's. I cleaned up a few under body tanks that were rusty on the outside (road salt and such), repainted, and used. They have pretty thick walls so pitting on them have to be really bad for me not to use one.

underbody is what i wanted info on,thanks

Gary68 said:
underbody is what i wanted info on,thanks

Found this information at several sites. 

In fact it is against the law for sellers of Propane to fill a DOT propane tank that is 12 years or older that has not been re-certified. The propane tank must be recertified by a facility that is certified to do DOT Tank recertification. Some large Propane suppliers and some RV repair facilities are certified to do the DOT Tank recertification.

When the DOT Tank is inspected and passes it is recertified for 5 years and must be re-inspected and recertified every 5 years thereafter. Every time it is recertified a new re-certification label is affixed to the DOT Propane Tank.

There are 2 types of propane storage vessels, an ASME TANK and the DOT CYLINDER. NFPA pamphlet 58 states that the DOT CYLINDER needs to be recertified after 12 years from the manufacturing date. Depending on the certifying method used, they are recertified every 5,7,12 years thereafter. The recertification involves an inspection and testing of the cylinder to confirm that the cylinder is still safe and legal to remain in service.

ASME TANKS that are found on an RV do not get recertified. They should have the relief valve replaced every 10 years.

Vertical (BBQ) portable propane storage vessels are typically called a DOT "cylinder" while horizontal ASME storage vessels are typically called a "tank" in the literature I've seen.

There were changes in the law around 2002 requiring new valve types to be installed at recertification.