low budget generator box

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsun

Reaction score
It turns the sportsman 2000 seen here

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-2-000-Watt-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-801309/206522861

Fits nicely in this tool box seen here

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EO6KV90/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which fits well on a standard hitch carrier.

The box just came in today and i did a test fit. Will be working on permanent install tomorrow and should have some pics. I dont plan to go fancy, just effective....i.e. Will vent by opening lid and cool with 12v fan. I will make some kind of partition so the rest of the box gets used. Generator only takes up about 1/4 of the space so it will double as tool storage.

My van has a front hitch so i will be getting another...this solves so many storage issue!

So not only does it secure the generator from general theft it should quiet it down quite a bit too. We'll see.

Will you still be able to use your rear doors? Would love a pic after you have it installed! Thnx.

I have to get a hitch extension to clear spare tire...so i think i will. It should be here Wednesday. But my rear doors arent setup to need regular access anyway.

Bardo

If you are interested there is a massive thread in the tech section of RV.NET called the 3000w generator thread. By massive I mean around 1000 pages and there is a person there that is the sternwake of generators. There is a good chunk dedicated to enclosures, their design, venting and sound deadening with multiple examples of what was built and how they solved issues that came up.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15131645.cfm

^hey Jim. Do you know the forum name of the sternwake of generators? If so, I'd sure like it.

bardo said:

The box size you list says 15"X15". The Genny says it's 16" wide.

Specifications
Dimensions
Product Depth (in.)
Product Height (in.)
Product Length (in.)
Product Width (in.)

I looked at that box myself and emailed several sellers that couldn't answer my question about box interior size.
I haven't bought one yet because my Sportsman genny wouldn't fit based on the dimensions they list.

I'd be interested in what the actual interior sizes are and if you managed to get yours to fit into the box you linked to.

yes I said I did in the OP

instead of looking at the interior of the box, go and actually measure your sportsman. you know what the box is...15x15x49. the box does have lips to get past so it's a squeeze but once in it's fine....or you have to cut the lips, whatever works.

here you go

Attachments

• 20171008_162824.jpg
    20171008_162824.jpg
    992.4 KB · Views: 43
^ Thanks for the pic. Looks like you have a winner.

So this wont work for running the generator. Simply not enough air flow. Could probably make large holes and epoxy some mesh grating over them but much of the noise cancellation would be gone.

At the very least i got the generator in a locked box though.

bardo said:
So this wont work for running the generator. Simply not enough air flow . . .

You will have to cut intake and exhaust vent into the box for airflow.  And if you aren't using it for anything else, your generator has a 12V output that could be used for a forced air fan; or use a 110V fan.  Exhaust fans work better for cooling than intake fans.

As for noise: the box may reduce or may amplify the noise of the generator.  It all depends on whether the generator will excite the resonant frequencies of the surfaces of the box.  This can be solved by damping the box surfaces.  I have the same generator and was able to eliminate the exhaust noise by adding a small car muffler to the exhaust (I used a Yugo muffler and welded an appropriate flange to the exhaust stub).

ok got it working, turns out it was an issue with generator. cleaned carb, put in some fresh fuel and changed oil. Not sure which one fixed it but it runs fine now. with a small fan and a few 1" holes it stays pretty cool even with lid closed. I did weld an exhaust to the muffler out of 1/2" galvanized plumbing pipe and a 90 degree elbow to run it through the bottom of the box.

It does vibrate the van a bit and you can hear it from inside the van. from 20ft or so it's just barely audible.

The aluminum box left tons of extra space on the standard hitch tray so I had a couple pieces of 3/4" ply and made a box for the front. It has much more room. when I was troubleshooting the generator I tried it in the wood box as it has no bottom. It was a success unfortunately I didn't build it tall enough. But with a decent, say 7"+ radiator fan and some heat tape or glued pieces of aluminum, the wood box would also work.....likely better as it would dampen sound and vibration. 

20171025_163838.jpg

I'll post a video soon.

Attachments

• 20171025_163838.jpg
    20171025_163838.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
You can see i did do some light modding to the box. Wasnt totally necessary but makes it easier to get in and out.

[video=youtube]

Put that on a raised hitch man, wouldn't even make it out my driveway!

Store-bought carrier would snap right off, believe me.

I need 15" clearance that far back from the axle.

Hitch bottom digs a hole, but that's solid steel NP.

Gen-Y are great

come shorter too
3cde793ab667ca91d52196abc6a4530f.jpg

It's at least 15"+

my driveway is pretty steep too.