Lots to learn and lots to give

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebraMJF

Reaction score
Readying to roll but plan to avoid the rockin’ from too many strong winds. The only rockin’ I want is from The Music, thank you very much. 

Tomorrow, February 22, 2021 I arrive at t-minus 12 months to moving from the unsustainable rat-race to the road full-time and more sustainable. This weekend I organized a binder and calendar in order to calm all the fears that this transition brings up in a 60s-something woman who, at the same time, loves the open road and craves nature. But doing it alone??? (knees shake) Introduced to Bob Wells while recovering from a serious ankle break five years ago and started contributing to HOWA soon as it formed, I’ve been downsizing, healing ever since, and learning new skills. Washing dishes with one cup of water – who knew? Started camping in my car last year. I did some things right but have lots more to learn.

Old enough to know exactly the risks of poor decisions, I don’t want to make this year’s Big Decisions without thorough vetting from you, my new Dream Team.

And, I have lots to give.

A writer and poet, my heart longs for wide-open space in order to create and publish. My website is nearly ready to launch.

A lover of people, I’ve been too long isolated from sitting around a campfire nightly that is ablaze with warmth that cannot be faked and warmth that cannot be taken only given.

Widowed, I am my daughter’s Last Matriarch Standing, a horrific title I never imagined and, thus, that horror became my imagination’s Greatest Teacher, greatest muse. 

Challenging arduous​
Stuck testing​
Gripped doubt​
Growth difficult​
Many tears​
Overcome​

Now, I’m facing forward because (duh) we cannot drive from the rearview mirror. New tears await as does new laughter, new adventures. Challenges before me clearly in view and using the wisdom from my past, I’m facing forward and dreaming for real now. This forum and the community of vandwellers is my new Dream Team. Yes you are.

What a gift and blessing this site is, double that for the physical community behind it, you trailblazers who are showing us stuck for too long in a system increasingly closing in and compressing how to break free and live more.

Plan one is to get on the road and learn the ropes for a year (Mar 2022 to Mar 2023) from wise off-grid travelers than me, then in 2023 purchase a plot of land to use as a safehaven for myself and other vandwellers to recharge. 

Looking forward to meeting many of you on the road.

DebraMJF

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVl forums  :)

When I got my Dad's old rig at graduation I was encouraged to hit the road and travel far and wide in it.  Did my knees ever knock.  So I stayed around the area all summer just going camping to get my legs under me.  Good thing I did too cause by late September the Van blew a head gasket.  (6 inline engine so it was easy enough to fix).   So I ventured down south and began having radiator problems.  I collected a few milk jugs and filled them with water and loosened the radiator cap and with about seven or eight gallons of water limped back home. 

Once home I got with some mechanic friends and we went over the rig with a fine toothed comb and got it in shape to actually go on the road.  Everything that could fail was inspected and replaced if necessary.  Sure it cost some but was far cheaper than getting it done on the road.  After that I traveled and had no problems.  Well except for when the gear shift broke at the base of the steering column. (fixed with a bent coat hanger and duct tape until I got home again then fixed with new parts)  From then on it was never a problem. 

Since those early days I've covered a lot of ground and amassed loads of experience that I had considered publishing in those small grocery store counter magazine displays.  You know those 3 1/2
by 5 inch 65 page novelties that cost a buck or so.  But with the internet, I just rolled that info into websites to reach a far wider audience and help the beginners of the digital nomad movement.

After the Van Conversion site which was for putting rigs together,  I created the portal below it in the signature lines below to help newbies to have a more safe, convenient, and comfortable first experience on the road.  These are information resources like I wished I'd had when I fist started.
All I had were a couple of Rand McNally (road maps & campground atlas) and a book titled "The Campers Bible".  No internet back then.  Just a hand held weather radio and my  Boy Scout skills.

Your travels on the road could (think Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie")  for stories/articles/novels where blog post in your website could serve as excerpts or abstracts for publishers to build some intrigue with.  Or links to the site published in various employment portal sites (like Monster etc) to showcase your skill, cost of service, and availability.

I think a grand old time awaits you.  A lot of women choose to travel with others in a caravan for security at first and there are discussions of that here.

Photos of the Van: "My Own Story"
http://vanconversion.homestead.com/My-Own-Story.html?_=1600406893700

Welcome!!
You'll be branching into Cowboy Prose befoe you know it.