Lost housing, solar cargo van feedback pls

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathleen

Reaction score
Hi all. I got locked out of the forum months ago inadvertently but this AM I was able to sign in again. Today I found a solar cargo van for sale, 2k or less. Although I've watched a number of videos re solar I still don't know much about it.

I'm a fixed income young senior who lost my 7 year great deal housing situation. I'm an ideal tenant, given til Sept to move, family friend taking my apt. Nothing in this rental price range where I live, so looking for alternative way to live now, as I'm on a slim budget.

Bought a 2005 3.8 V6 T & C minivan, 55k miles, well maintained. Saw this cargo trailer online today. Don't think my minivan has the power to pull it and I have been too busy to get used to the nearly 17 ft of minivan I drive on occasion. I have no desire to pull a cargo van, so this would be for locating on a piece of rural property for the months of the year I'm not boon docking in my minivan. No photos of interior yet and no windows in it. Any of you experienced with solar and cargo vans think this vehicle may be a good investment? I would need to get it for less. Description:

For immediate sale is an insulated 12' (length) x 6' (width) x 7' (height) enclosed v-nose trailer equipped with an off-grid 12v solar system. Trailer was manufactured in 2015 and made in the USA.

Trailer is only available until March 21th, 2017. If interested, please act quickly and email me with any questions and offers. I am planning on relocating to a new state and will bring the trailer with me if it does not sell before my move date.

Original Cost of 2015 enclosed trailer: $3,260.00 (original invoice available for view upon request) Original Cost of Off-Grid Solar system: $3,298.26 (original invoice available for view upon request) Original Cost of Insulation: $400+

SPECIFICATIONS:

Enclosed Trailer:
- Five Star Series Trailer 12' (length) x 6' (width) x 7' (height) Enclosed Single Axle Trailer V-Front
- 32" Side Door with Bar Lock
- 3500Lb Dexter Axle 2990 GVWR
- V-Front Trailer Nose
- Ramp Rear Door
- .030 Aluminum Exterior in Silver Frost
- Walk On Roof (reinforced with plywood for walk-on access)

Insulation:
- R-7 rigid insulation on interior walls and ceiling.
- R-20+ exterior insulation on exposed underside of floor (professionally spray foam application)

Off-Grid 12 Volt Solar System:
(Major components listed; Solar System is hooked up and fully functioning)
- Solar Panels (2): Topoint 190W 72 Cell Mono Solar Module
- Midnite Kid MPPT Charge Controller
- Samlex 1000W, 12V Inverter
- Sealed Batteries (4): Concorde 6V 220ah AGM Battery (These are high-quality, expensive, sealed batteries)

That seems like a lot of solar power and batteries to buy and leave parked, unused, for months.

Do you have a lead on a piece of rural property to leave it on? During the non-boondocking months you would want to live there. That could be a problem.

Trebor English said:
That seems like a lot of solar power and batteries to buy and leave parked, unused, for months.  

Do you have a lead on a piece of rural property to leave it on?   During the non-boondocking months you would want to live there.  That could be a problem.

Yes, I do have a lead, at a small community with residents who live there year round, near world class hot springs mineral spa and gorgeous BLM land. Great location for shoulder seasons, spring and fall, the best months to live there. Vehicle would be safe from theft and damage, but I know nothing re what happens to batteries/solar systems if they are left unused months at a time. Any further insight about that would be appreciated.

I also wanted to know if the less than 2k seemed like a good price for a 2015 cargo van with this much solar. I know some solar co's are better than others, and that there are high dollar batteries good for up to 10 years. I don't have to start with those but would like to know if this system seems of reasonable quality.

I already read that the Dexter trailer is not the best but I don't plan to tow it round the west, just get it to a long term site. The lack of windows is not inviting, but it might be possible to replace the door with one with a window.

I would not live there during winter or summer months when it's too cold or too hot. Would be there when I could spend a lot of time on the rural acreage and exploring the vast BLM land area I love, overlooking the cottonwoods, river and beaver dams. Lots of wildlife, a plus for me.

Just feeling around for a new situation. Bought the minivan cuz I knew my great deal apt was coming to an end.

Have also looked at 5th wheels as an option. Not a lot of them for sale here, and the well maintained ones so far are too pricey.

Without seeing it I think the price sounds pretty damn good !

Kathleen said:
what happens to batteries/solar systems if they are left unused months at a time.

AGM batteries should be OK. The solar panels and controller should be able to keep them charged without roasting them. If anything goes wrong it could be bad with nobody there to notice and take corrective action. A lightning strike nearby could confuse the solar controller programming roasting the batteries. A flock of birds could deposit enough poop on the panels so the batteries discharge. If any of the year round residents could make use of the system they would notice if something went worng.

rvpopeye said:
Without seeing it I think the price sounds pretty damn good !

I thought so too. Photos of exterior look perfect and it has that rock guard material on front end of trailer. No pics or description of interior, other than reference to insulation. Even for temp living it seems like a good investment.

Trebor English said:
AGM batteries should be OK.  The solar panels and controller should be able to keep them charged without roasting them.  If anything goes wrong it could be bad with nobody there to notice and take corrective action.  A lightning strike nearby could confuse the solar controller programming roasting the batteries.  A flock of birds could deposit enough poop on the panels so the batteries discharge.  If any of the year round residents could make use of the system they would notice if something went worng.
"You can't fix stupid" Oh, dear, I often feel I fall into that category :-/ 

Thanks for further info re batteries and solar components. It's the kind of group where I could probably make arrangements with someone to watch it for me. NM gets wild lightning storms and birds like to hang out in trees down by the river.

You would be getting over half of it for free. Anyone else going to build you a custom trailer and pay for most of the parts themselves?
I would jump on it. If you later don't want it, you can sell it for a profit.

sounds a little to good to be true,thats plenty of solar for anything

do you have someone to go with you to look at it?
what part of the country are you in?

Gary68 said:

Northern New Mexico. Yes, it sounds like a great deal, that's why I thought good investment. If it is truly as described I thought I could sell it easily if I don't like it.

Gary68 said:

This brings to mind something to be aware of. It may be a scam. Don't fall for any stories about the title got lost, Pay me and I will deliver it,  or we need a deposit before you can see it, etc.  Meet where there are witnesses,  Tell them you will go to the bank after you see the trailer and title. 

One of the major down sides to trailers are the loose titles. Someone can steal it, take off the ID's, go to the local DMV and get a new title as a home built unit. This is especially true of cargo trailers. They say that they have original receipts, so that should help keep you safe.

thats why i brought it up

sounds like a great deal just needs to be thoroughly inspected by your 6'5" mech and his buddy

DannyB1954 said:
This brings to mind something to be aware of. It may be a scam. Don't fall for any stories about the title got lost, Pay me and I will deliver it,  or we need a deposit before you can see it, etc.  Meet where there are witnesses,  Tell them you will go to the bank after you see the trailer and title. 

One of the major down sides to trailers are the loose titles. Someone can steal it, take off the ID's, go to the local DMV and get a new title as a home built unit. This is especially true of cargo trailers. They say that they have original receipts, so that should help keep you safe.
Thanks for the tips re cargo trailers and loose titles. I did not know that. Had no interest in a cargo trailer til this one popped up. Just too good not to pursue.

The description was intelligently written and provided a lot of info. There were photos of all the equipment and exterior. I figured it was a great deal.

Just got a very kind email from the lady who owned it. Said she had no idea of the response she'd receive. She accepted an offer for the full 2k and sold it immediately. Somebody got that trailer for a good price.

Gary68 said:
thats why i brought it up

sounds like a great deal just needs to be thoroughly inspected by your 6'5" mech and his buddy
I appreciate the way people look out for each other here. Thanks for the tip. I'll take my mech and his 6'7" buddy next time I'm checking things out!

How far into Northern New Mexico are you? I'm 3 hrs north of Raton. If you find another one to look at, depending upon timing, I might be able to come down and take a look. $2000 was a steal - my thought was it might be a scam and to tread lightly, but it looks like someone gat a really good deal.

Now the thought comes to mind I wonder if her Ex / Boyfriend / husband/ knows it is gone.

Those great deals def exist, i've been buying/selling on craigslist for years. They usually go really quick though, have to be the first one to show up with cash as there is usually a line of people ready to. But never run outside of your comfort zone to do so, it's def worth asking questions and going with someone to see it if you don't feel safe.

bummer,the good deals go fast,when i got my rig i call 1 hour after he posted it and was there soon after and there was people waiting after me

masterplumber said:
How far into Northern New Mexico are you? I'm 3 hrs north of Raton. If you find another one to look at, depending upon timing, I might be able to come down and take a look. $2000 was a steal - my thought was it might be a scam and to tread lightly, but it looks like someone gat a really good deal.
Santa Fe County. I've been looking at Clist for years. This was a steal, but I couldn't get through to the owner. She got an offer within minutes of posting and sold it immediately. Somebody got a great deal! And thanks for your offer to come down.

I've never seen anything like that solar cargo van and I've been watching online for years. 7k investment, insulated, vent on top, 190 watts, pure sine, 2015 model, 12 ft long and 7 ft tall. Bolt bar door at rear for loading large items. And she sold it for 2k, somebody's lucky day...