Looking to track down a van that can get 30 mpg

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 3.3 liter Grand Caravan that got almost 20mpg if I was incredibly frugal with the gas pedal.

Later, I moved up to a diesel Chevy Express, which gets 18mpg. When considering the cost difference between diesel and gas, the cost per mile works out to be nearly the same. But the Express has more room and can haul weight the caravan could never even think of doing.

For me, this is compromise I am willing to live with. My Duramax powered Express lets my have and do more than the value of how much money I'd save if I were trapped in a 30mpg tin can.

I know some Ford Transit Connects are rated for 29 mpg (highway), but that's the small ones with 4 cylinder engines.  I have a 2006 Grand Caravan with a 3.3 liter engine which gets about 26 mpg, after I removed all but the front the seats (probably a good 200 lbs) and installed slightly oversize tires (which I keep slightly over-inflated at 40 psi).

Here is a quick and dirty cost analysis assuming I could sell my 2015 Sienna for $15K and add another $15K to buy a 2021 Sienna Hybrid.
Clearly would not pay of as I start saving money at 395K miles.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 14
My 2015 Promaster city made just over 30mpg in  3000 miles wisconsin to gulf coast trip. Was easy on gas and drove 60mph or less when possible.
 My last trip to Glacier an back 3500 miles only just over 25mpg with another driver.

Pacifica hybrid gets 30mpg, probably a little better if you are mindful and drive 60mph.

But the comprimises for cheap RV living don't really make sense. Its really expensive, offset by a tax credit on a new one. It only makes sense if you already wanted a top of the line deluxe minivan. If you are thinking about the promaster city or transit connect, that is not the way you seem to be going.

Myself, I like to enjoy my van, so I have a Full size promaster. I can drive it such that it gets 20mpg on the highway, probably a little better at 60mph. It falls off fast after that, getting 15-16mpg at 75-80 mph.
But I can carry all my stuff, stand up inside, have seating for 4, 2 beds, and a fixed shower with hot water. I wouldn't trade all that for 10mpg more unless I was driving 50,000 miles a year or more.

Yeah a Promaster City or Transit Connect is kinda what I'm aiming for. The Promaster City is rated at 29 mpg highway, so getting that magical 30 mpg would not be hard. BTW the 30 mark is just a mark I like to aim for. I did it at 40 mpg with my econo driving a 1.5 Lt Mazda. Just a good reference to keep things in top shape.

I'm just working at getting a van that will be used sparingly. I like to fall back on other cars or using my two legs and power myself on two wheels. If I was looking at something that would be 24/7, I'd definitely look at something bigger.

What about using the mark of 25 mpg? What would be some of the vans that come to mind?