LOOKING FOR WEBSITE FOR TRAVEL GUIDANCE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
Easterner here, so forgive the lack of knowledge.

I get that there are large parts of the West where there is no cell coverage in the boonies.

But I was under the impression she was taking I-10 the whole way back.

Are you saying there are stretches of the Interstate Highway that has no cell coverage?

yes, i will be traveling that interstate.  Great question.

Check the coverage map for whatever cell carrier you have.

The coverage maps are a bit misleading. They make those maps with a combination of tower data and topographical maps. Mostly they are good, but if you have car trouble, and no cell coverage from mile marker 135 to 159, and thats where you are, then you are out of luck.

Yes, depending on your carrier, you will find dead zones all along the western half of Texas, its pretty remote out there. On I-20 from about Monahans to the 10-20 split, it can be iffy, and from the 10-20 split all the way to El Paso the coverage is very spotty in places. Keep in mind this is remote, mountainous, and rugged terrain, and hills and valleys affect your ability to 'hit' a tower.

So, that's 250 miles of 'iffy' coverage. Some places a cell phone works, other places it wont. I used both T-mobile and AT&T out there for years. There are many areas where the phone will say "emergency calls only" on the display and you will have no 'bars' on the signal meter.

It also depends on whether you are on a low-level MVNO (like tracphone and boost) or a top tier like AT&T or Verizon.

Those MVNO phones are automatically bumped off if the tower is busy, and many towers in remote areas are busy, since they are few and far between.

But, there is solid coverage from east of El Paso all the way to west of Las Cruces, then some dropouts till you get closer to Deming.

So...300 miles of remote areas that may or may not have coverage, depending on your carrier.

I can attest that there is a gap in cell coverage for Verizon between Quartzite and Ehrenberg on I 10.

Take more water than you think you will use. Four gallons would be nice. Put them in a box so they don't roll around.

Just get a Rand-McNalley Map Book from Walmart. If you happen to have one or two of those purple or blue fabric pens that fade away in a day or so, use it to mark where you are as you go, and where you stop for the night.

Drive normally. You won't do your old cat any favors by being in such a hurry that something happens. And I wouldn't drive at night, due to more drunks, animals crossing the roads, and can't see as well.

Good luck! And don't worry! You'll be fine!

TrainChaser said:
And don't worry!  You'll be fine!

^^^^

This!

Hey, also keep in mind that the speed limit out there in the western half of Texas is 80mph...you'll make good time across that area!

In my years of traveling, I suggest avoiding rest areas - day or night. Planned public stops/areas are best. I'll keep *the stories* to myself. Being in SoCal, you're a master of avoiding the dreaded traffic. I'd plan to hit the metro's during non-commute times and utilizing the "loops" at all possible.

Personally, I prefer to drive at night, especially the long-hauls.

I think you have shore power, you might be able to find some nice RV spots along the way. Texas has "free" hookups.

hope it all works out and have a safe trip. keep in mind the Colorado River Valley is quite hot this time of year 110-120. I just got back, don't stop there. highdesertranger

CautionToTheWind said:
Personally, I prefer to drive at night, especially the long-hauls.

I think you have shore power, you might be able to find some nice RV spots along the way. Texas has "free" hookups.

I do too like to drive at night, less traffic, but hitting animals scares me.  I just don't know how safe it would be if I broke down and had no cell coverage...

So, here's a question for everyone, maybe I should start a new thread.  If I bring my laptop, would there possibly be wifi in an area that doesn't have cell service?  I never used wifi outside of a home, so I don't know how it works.Then if I broke down I could post a message here hoping for help in whatever state I'm in.

Also, if there's no cell service can you still text?

Free shore power sounds great! I suppose you are talking about at a campground?

highdesertranger said:
hope it all works out and have a safe trip.  keep in mind the Colorado River Valley is quite hot this time of year 110-120. I just got back,  don't stop there.  highdesertranger

Thank you and welcome back, and I don't plan on stopping EVER!!! :s :angel: :dodgy: :huh: :-/ :cool: :D

XFILE36 said:
So, here's a question for everyone, maybe I should start a new thread.  If I bring my laptop, would there possibly be wifi in an area that doesn't have cell service? 

Also, if there's no cell service can you still text?

Babe, if you dont have cell service you wont have wifi..and you would have to have 'tethering' active on your phone to even have wifi to the laptop. Again, its a remote area out there in far West Texas...it is still one of the most remote areas in the USA.

Very low population density, few cell towers, light traffic, long distances between towns, and 80 mph speed limit...quite enjoyable actually! In fact, McDonald's Observatory is out there in the Big Bend Region of West Texas because it IS so remote...no lights at night to cause light pollution, because the cities are small and very far apart.

http://www.darksky.org/idsp/parks/bigbend/

If you are in an area with wifi like at a McDonalds or a Walmart then yes, you can get wifi and cell data in those areas...

The McDonalds in Van Horn has free wifi if you stop there.

In years past, many Texas roadside rest areas had free wifi but that's mostly gone now.

It is possible to send a text in a dead zone and it might get thru IF you are still moving. (but texting and driving is not safe either!) If you are parked and you have no cell signal a text will usually not go thru either.

Just don't be worrying about this...you will be driving 1500 miles or so, and the likely-hood of a breakdown in a cellular dead zone is pretty small.

People have been traveling for years without cell service...a few dropouts is not a big deal. And your phone may work fine for the entire route...you never said what carrier you are on.

Now...if you want to take a more 'connected' route home, you should think about re-routing thru Amarillo and take I-40 all the way to California.

US-287 to Amarillo and then I-40 to California has very few dead zones till you get into California and there are a few there too.

But...I hate I-40 because it is so heavily traveled...it is a major transport route across the USA. You are constantly passing or being passed by large trucks and other travelers in a hurry.

It can be a mess! But on a Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday time frame, it wont be that bad.

It's just up to you.

I just dropped my kitty off at the sitter's. She is such an expert with cats and looked inside his mouth. It looks pretty bad. He has an infection, and maybe even a tumor. He didn't have that lump 2 days ago under his chin and a large sore in his mouth, maybe an abscess. :( She said she will take him into the vet. I don't want to leave right now and feel so badly for him. I couldn't leave him in a better place though, but it's hard for me to not worry and miss him too. All the more determination to get back here A.S.A.P. :(

When guys talk about 80 mph and 110F, I just shake my head and roll my eyes.

"You know you're in Texas when... "

BTW, how did this subject get into the Personal Hygiene section?

Xfile is safely on the plane, I'll leave to pick her up in an hour or so.

No flight number, 10 am boarding , west coast time and 3 pm arrival in Dallas. Southwest Airlines

3589 shows early arrival.

I show two connecting flights thru Houston arriving at 3pm at Lovefield on the Southwest website. 

I wonder if she is on one of those?