LOOKING FOR WEBSITE FOR TRAVEL GUIDANCE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XFILE36

Reaction score
Hi there, 

I might be flying to TX to purchase my van.  I will be driving it back to CA after ESCAPEE, vehicle inspection, registration, drivers license and all.  I will most likely be driving though most of TX, then NM, AZ, and finally CA.  WHEW!  I need to drive as many hours as safely possible, but need to get home because of my cat.  I figure I can drive 5 hours, take a nap say 4 hours, and keep repeating this...I am just guessing.  And feel free to give advice on traveling this distance.  I obviously won't be carrying anything except what came with the class B and not using any of it, I don't think.  It does have a toilet, but only for emergencies for me. I will be sleeping in the van (has a bed).  

I will bring a blanket, toilet paper, phone charger (I have a flip phone so can't get apps), change of clothes, maybe my laptop, anything else?

I wanted to know if anyone knows of a one-stop website that will show directions, weather, food/rest stops. TY

Do you have a Smartphone? They have apps that can give tons of info while travelling. A GPS,same but these days phones have all that stuff.

Be aware that it may be harder to sleep when travelling depending on where you stop. You want to stop in a safe place but that may mean a busy place,too with vehicles coming and going. That means you may drive longer than you want to because you can't find a good place to stop....and you may get dangerously drowsy.

No Smartphone, just a flip phone. It gets internet, but has no apps and the screen is too small to read any way, even with glasses. I just listen to youtube videos on it.

If you don't want to spend the $ for a phone, I'd get a GPS. They can be had pretty cheaply and will give lots of travel info. It's a long ways across TX and a GPS will tell you where gas stations,motels,restaurants,state parks,campgrounds,et al are located.

Just make sure it's updated. Get an extra battery for your phone. Get an extra phone...$10 at Walmart sometimes.

Almost a month ago I drove cross country- 350-500 miles a day. It was quite doable, and when I stopped each afternoon, I had no problem sleeping that night. I used to able to drive 500 a day, then 400, but I think I will plan my next road trip at 300 a day! I also don't like to drive at night...
good luck and congrats!
Also, for a relatively small fee, you could take your cat on the flight and then you wouldn't have to worry.

Good point about avoiding night driving.

PS: the GPS also will tell you how far it is to the next services or rest area. Very important on long stretches you are unfamiliar with. The interstates will have signs of course but it helps to have all the info you can get.

Where do you buy GPS'? locally. I don't have time to order one. I wouldn't subject my cat to the fumes and whatever other treatment. He's sick and old. It would stress him too much.

Uh..fumes from a GPS? Anyway...try to borrow one from a friend who can show you how to use it ,since you're short on time. Craigslist,Walmart will have them.

I dont know if you are returning from DFW to southern or northern California, so you may be on I-20 then I-10, or maybe US287 then I-40 then all the way home.

Its a pretty simple route. The most confusing part of the trip for you will probably be in the first 20 miles getting out of the MidCities, DFW area.

I don't think you NEED a $100 GPS but if you want to buy one, by all means, do so, you will probably be wanting one as a van-dweller anyway. Having a GPS will increase your confidence as you travel, and might even save some gas as opposed to getting on the wrong highway for 25 miles...don't laugh, its happened.

I highly recommend Garmin GPS, if you buy one.

You can also go to mapquest.com, set up your intended route home, then print the map and directions on a printer if you have one. You will get a few pages of detailed directions, for free, (other than the cost of printing it).

I have a good working knowledge of most of those routes. I can even suggest safe places to rest.

Good luck!

Great tip on the Mapquest info. I have an older Garmin but also a TomTom which I like better for some features and as backup.

You may be mixing PMs with posts on the thread...LOL.

tx2sturgis said:
I dont know if you are returning from DFW to southern or northern California,

I have a good working knowledge of most of those routes. I can even suggest safe places to rest.

Good luck!

I will be leaving Livingston going to So cal.  Safe places to rest would be great.  Would you list them here for others that might need them please?

slow2day said:
Uh..fumes from a GPS?  

lol...'Stinkin' GPS needs a 'Stinkin' Badge...

Slow, I think everything sold in California has a sticker on it saying it will cause cancer so that might be what Miss X was referring to.

Miss X, the van will have way more odd smells than the GPS will...your cat wont have any issues with the GPS.

You can buy a GPS at Walmart, Autozone, any electronics retailer, or any Loves, Petro, or Pilot/TA truck stop.

All you need is the least expensive one with FREE LIFETIME maps...

BTW, if you don't already HAVE road service, I STRONGLY suggest you sign up for it before you try to drive a newly acquired RV all the way from TX to CA.  Rather than AAA, for an RV, I suggest Good Sam or Coachnet.  You mentioned Escapees.  I believe Escapees has a discount deal with Coachnet.

Good luck on your trip!

XFILE36 said:
I will be leaving Livingston going to So cal.  Safe places to rest would be great.  Would you list them here for others that might need them please?

That would be a very long list for 1500 miles of highways.

It would need to be a sticky somewhere and would take a bit of time to put together, so, instead, I can give more focused suggestions after you are westbound from DFW.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that NEXT EXIT lists truck stops, which would be great free places to stop and sleep.

I'm not taking my sick old cat on a plane! The fumes are in the cargo where they throw, I mean, place the animals.