Looking for truck suggestions for truck camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathead

Reaction score
I’m wanting to learn what my options are when it comes to finding a truck for our future truck camper. We would like to boondock with lightweight truck camper in somewhat remote locations.
I’ve listed what I’d like below.
one ton
extra cab
4x4
dependable
powerful
decent payload in case we go with a heavier camper later
about $10 - 15k range
comfortable seating for less backaches
manual transmission?
can work on/learn on ourselves?

Anyone have suggestions?

Not a specific recommendation, but a few generalities.

The newer the truck, the more expensive it's going to be, the older the truck, the less it will cost. 

A diesel engine is more money new, and more money used than a gas engine, but usually goes longer before needing rebuilding or replacing than a gas engine will.  The Cummings diesels used in Dodges and the 7.3 Diesel used in Fords are the best.  A lot of the other and newer diesels are very problematical.  But there are good gas engines also.

You didn't say where you are, but if you're going to go for an older, cheaper truck, I would look for a truck from the south or southwest.  Old trucks from places where they salt the roads in winter usually have rust problems.  Sometimes very bad frame rust problems, that can't be fixed.

And I personally wouldn't want to buy a used 4x4 that had been used for snow plowing, I think it stresses the frame too much.

Seating comfort shouldn't be a real issue, it's usually easy to swap out seats for better ones from a junkyard.

As far as payload goes, it's fairly easy to add air bags or helper springs if you later go for a heavier camper.  Bigger brakes are more problematical.  I would look to swap in a newer junkyard axle with big disc brakes if it ever comes to that.

Just a few random thoughts.

Regards
John

Some thoughts:

1) get a 1 ton--much better to have too much truck than too little
2) duallys are better but limit you in the backcountry
3) the Big 3 all make good trucks
4) the problem with the diesels is they are hard on the auto transmission which isn't designed for that much torque. 5 speed solves that problem
5) In my experience the manuals were usually in contractors/ranchers trucks that have been worked very hard. Personal trucks are usually (not always) autos.

I'd look for a

Ford with V10 gas or 7.3 diesel
Chevy with 8.1 or 6
Dodge Cummins

Didge Cummins 5/6 speed

lots of good options out there. unfortunately manual trans are kinda rare. remember this also imho the 7.3 ford diesel is the only ford diesel I would consider. the early cummins where the best you could do in a light duty truck. unfortunately the trucks tend to fall apart around the engine. my favorite older truck chevy sold out to the city slicker crowd and went to IFS in 92 for 1 tons. if you are mechanically inclined then there are lots of older trucks to consider. I could go on and on. but will leave it here for now. highdesertranger

And read the competing thread under this section of Trucks entitled "Ideal truck for slide in or more". I just posted a long (winded) reply. Too lazy to replicate it here. Maybe since the two topics are substantially the same question, a moderator will combine them... Or make the combined post a sticky...

Considering your budget, you might scale back your expectations and look for less truck in better shape. For instance if you skip the 4 wheel drive and extended cab you'll increase your max payload, get a fresher vehicle, and will likely be able to use a 3/4 ton instead.

My Silverado 2500HD is such a vehicle. It has a max gvwr of 9200lbs and only weighs 5400lbs which leaves 3800lbs for a camper and gear. Extended cab with 4wd would've made my truck not able to handle my camper.

Also, I drive my truck on old forestry roads and in winter conditions regularly.

Always trade-offs, guess I'll start with the ideal truck and work backward.
It will probably be a couple years before we can afford to buy another vehicle, but I want to know what to look for when the time comes.
Thanks for the suggestions, anyone else want to add to it?

I love the extended cab trucks, but like has been said, they reduce payload and are less agile because of the larger turning radius. One tons are nice, but they ride harsher. If you keep your camper light, then a 3/4 ton is great. If you are thinking of slide outs and an 11 foot camper in the future, then one ton is a minimum.

Older trucks are MUCH easier to work on. You need fewer tools and the diagnostic equipment is less expensive.

Older trucks don't have the power newer trucks do. You can build an older engine to be fairly powerful, though, and still have good street ability and good fuel mileage. Not as good as a newer truck, but still pretty decent.

I prefer manual transmissions as they get better MPG and deliver a bit more power. While you need to replace the clutch around 100,000, an auto will last longer. Usually, unless you run it hard/hot, don't maintain it, or have a diesel. Autos are expensive to repair/replace and need more maintenance. Not a lot, but still more. Not counting the clutch, I've never worn out a manual transmission in a truck.

An outside-the-box idea: Find an extended cab with body damage only. Get it for a good price, put a regular cab on it, then use that extra two feet of chassis for storage or a custom camper. That would be a heck of an endeavor, though!

Canine, interesting outside-the-box idea about finding a body damaged extended cab! Sounds like it might be complicated though.

Generally, 4x4 adds 400 pounds to the weight of the truck--to me it's well worth it, but everyone has to decide for themselves.

My plan is to buy a tall shell that weighs very little. The problem is I'll have very limited amount of room for everything I own in the world. To make up for that I'll get a supercab, and pull the backseat then build a shelf for storage underneath and above.

The supercab will add weight, but the extra room it give me will allow me to save maybe a thousand pounds by getting such a tiny and light shell.
Bob

actually changing cabs, frames isn't that hard. I have done lots of them. in fact I have a spare frame right now just in case something were to happen to mine. as for newer vs older. if you want power and mpg then newer is better, if you want ease of repair and durability then older is better. my 2cents. highdesertranger

The early 2000's dodge diesel 5 speed manuals had problems, you cannot exceed 65mph in 4th, and 5th is problematic and failure prone. I have a friend with one and he has all these problems, which are pretty normal.

The newer 6 and 8 speed automatics can handle the torque better, the Allison in the GM's was made for Diesel.

yeah the dodges use an NV 4500, the big three all used these, lots of guys like them. I was considering one but when I dug deeper I discover lots of problems with them. it's like everything else nowadays, not really built to last. higdesertranger

My 2012 Ram 2500 has a 6 speed manual. Sixth gear has the same issue - not recommended to tow with to make matters worse the case is to thin of aluminum and has been known to warp. Plus the computer limits the torque output to try and save the stock clutch system - didn't help.

So here's another out of the box idea if a really big camper is in your future. The old Freightliner fifth wheel haulers were built on an FL60 chassis - a true 2 ton truck made to go 500,000 miles. I regularly see these for sale for under $30,000 dollars with less than 100,000 miles on them, and some with under 200,000 miles for under $10,000. I'm seriously considering buying one and swapping out the bed for a utility, or service type bed for more tool storage.

I've been thinking of that sort of set up Bob mentions, with the cab, 4x4 and lightweight shell that we can customize, for two of us.
I'm also concerned about storage space - therefore larger cab.
Maybe a Capri camper or smaller Lance or fiberglass shell. Not too wide, tall or long. Do want a wetbath.
Bob - are you thinking short or long bed with supercab?
But, would like a truck that could handle a slightly larger camper if we couldn't find enough comfort with the smaller camper.
Freightliner is too big for what we'd want it for - although it sounds like just the thing if you have other goals.
Would also like something we can take through Mexico someday, which rules out the newer diesels (and they cost so much anyway).

akrvbob said:
My plan is to buy a tall shell that weighs very little. The problem is I'll have very limited amount of room for everything I own in the world. To make up for that I'll get a supercab, and pull the backseat then build a shelf for storage underneath and above.

Just a reminder: anything you have loose in the passenger compartment become a missle in an accident.
I have 2 acquaintances that sustained major injuries due to stuff flying around in the cab in an accident.  One was a concussion from a flying kleenex box  :(

-- Spiff

For two people I would for sure get a real camper that you can sleep in the overhead bed. I just want to use mine for storage but a couple will need all the room they can get so having the bed in the cabover will really free up space.

I'd look hard at the Capri because they will custom build your camper so it has nothing but a wet bath or whatever you want. That will keep the weight down to a minimum which is what I want.

I also agree about the truck, I wouldn't get anything less than a 3/4 ton and would prefer a 1 ton.

For a couple I wouldn't get anything less than an 8 foot bed. You'll need every bit of it!

I lived in my F150 Supercab 4x4 for about 3 years with just a tall shell and a 7 foot bed. And it was fine, it worked okay, but I would like some more room so I'm going with an 8 foot bed. I wouldn't even consider a 6 foot bed.

It'll be long and that is a problem in the backcountry, but it is a compromise you have to make to get the space you need.
Bob

I'm all for making storage behind the front seats as long as it didn't impact my ability to tilt the drivers seat back to take a nap.