Need a truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MG1912 said:
" In any case, if money is tight, I think a truck camper is not the most cost-effective option. "
I already owned the truck I dwelled in, and built a bunk behind the front seats for sleeping above and storage under. I had a topper that I used for storage mainly, and cooking in bad weather. So very minimal cost for me. 

My setup was not very stealthy, got the knock even during lunch stops. I used the dash to dry my wet sox and passersby especially objected to this. I go to those same places in my van now and nobody bothers me.   -crofter

If one is doing lots of urban dwelling then I would go with a van set up...if a large portion is remote boondocking then I'd go w/ a TC, 4x4 if possible however a rear locker differential, w/ appropriate ground clearance and tires, would give more traction than most of us will need most of the time. Stealth camping in some areas, where traditional campers are overlooked, is better done w/ a TC than van.

I went against the grain and have more truck than camper. My 1988 Bigfoot 1500 series, 9.6 ft camper lists a dry weight of <1300 lbs and is sitting on a F450 4x4 flatbed. Looking forward I can see where getting in and out of the overhead bunk and climbing up/down entry stairs will eventually get more difficult for me @ 67 yo to navigate. When I decide to change rigs I'll probably go with a step van w/ a rear locker.

Before I bought my rig I read up on four wheel drive and the consensus seemed to be that most people never, or rarely, use it. The exception is those who do overlanding / off roading. I know I won't be going too far from highways and if I do, it'll be with others. My truck is too old, I'm too old, and I know nothing about fixing the truck, so I'm staying fairly close to civilization. I'll also have a shovel, tow strap and traction mats.

About the big step up, I've been checking out different ramps. Eg. the ones used to haul mobility carts or lawn mowers

I'm thinking if I found the right one, I could put a small stool on it. Height wise, they are even/level with the bumper so you would still need a stool. But the ramp and carrier would feel safer than scissor steps IF they don't wobble.

Torklift has scissor steps with a railing, but I can't imagine the railing feeling very secure.

I love having the gate down for a place to sit, but I've read the cable can break (if you keep it down long term).

Maybe the carrier/ramp thing isn't feasible. I have no experience with carriers. I thought of it originally as a solution for my 13-year-old Chow Chow. I may have to take her with me and don't want to have to lift her. I know it's unsafe for her to ride in the camper, but I'll drive carefully:)

MaTaLa said:
I went against the grain and have more truck than camper. My 1988 Bigfoot 1500 series, 9.6 ft camper lists a dry weight of <1300 lbs and is sitting on a F450 4x4 flatbed.

You did an amazing job of pairing your truck with your camper. A cursory search of 1999 F450 regular cabs shows a rear GAWR of over 10,800 lbs. I see the high end of the curb weight for the rear axle of that truck is around 2,575 lbs, which gives you over 8,000 lbs to play with on the rear axle. That is phenomenal. You could carry five of those campers on your truck! That means you basically never have to worry about overloading the truck.

Thanks for all the GREAT info. Really. Thanks.
I am keeping the Element for now. After traveling for over 2 years I am pretty tired.
My son is going to help me get a studio apartment so I can re group, get a good doctor (been bouncing around different clinics) and wait for the low income housing or section 8 voucher.
Once I get settled and rested hopefully I can get a small part time job and keep saving. I can take trips in the Element and explore places, PNW, and not be so stressed about needing a bigger rig right now.

And, yea, vans seem to be the best option for a smaller $$ budget and an older person. A lot less maintenance.

Thanks you all for the great ideas.

I’m liking the emerging electric vehicles, but my budget is such that the older gas vehicles will get a little bit cheaper.

I don’t drive much more than 5000 miles a year, so my overall carbon footprint is still small.

Element Gypsy said:
I can take trips in the Element and explore places, PNW,  and not be so stressed about needing a bigger rig right now.

And, yea, vans seem to be the best option for a smaller $$ budget and an older person. A lot less maintenance.

Thanks you all for the great ideas.

Sounds like a good plan, Gypsy. Luckily, you are in a gorgeous area for weekend camping & exploring. I can't remember if you have a tent. If not, maybe check out the canvas ones. Ie. Kodiak and Springbar. Bob has a video of a woman camping in one in the desert.

Stay in touch with us!

If the time comes for camper, lighter versions are available on the market, (Preferably a used one, private sale, with an affordable price.)
There are two us manufacturers of light weight campers, in different types.
One location is in California.

Travel Lite is one. Best of Luck :)
Here's an example:

i have also struggled with the van vs truck camper question, and one thing left out is
if the traveler will ever need to put down in a rv park for a few months say in the winter?
i have heard many places will only let you in if you have a trailer or a big rv that stays at
the site, not a van or TC that picks up and drives out of the space every day. has anyone
heard much about this? for this reason i have started looking at small trailers like a Casita
or Scamp, so i could pull it with a van or a truck. thanks to the OP for starting such an
informative thread!

You may want a truck camper if you like 4 wheeling. Or get a 4x4 van. I bought a van and sold my 4x4 truck. I miss 4 wheeling, but the van is more practical. 

-crofter

Every RV place I have stayed at never said anything to me about when I left during the day in my B. Admittedly, there are only a handful of times that I have stayed more than one night at one though. I am wondering why they would care if you were there during the day.

txmnjim said:
i have heard many places will only let you in if you have a trailer or a big rv that stays at
the site, not a van or TC that picks up and drives out of the space every day. has anyone
heard much about this?

I've looked into this at just one place when I had a Class B. They explained that if I had just one vehicle, it would be more wear and tear on their hookups if I left frequently. Seems they had at least a couple of people that forgot they were hooked up and drove off while still connected.