Looking for truck suggestions for truck camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan is to build the back seat storage area into a bed. I'll build a platform for storage underneath and use totes and duffels on top of it. If I need to sleep in the cab I'll move the totes and duffles to the front seat and sleep on top of the platform. I probably won't be able to stretch all the way out but as far as I am concerned it will be more comfortable than sleeping in the seat.
Bob

It amazes me the number of 3/4 ton trucks that have had a small shell on them since new. I doubt the frames were ever worked hard. I would look for one of these.
Farm and ranch country offers the most 1 ton duallies. I live near Las Vegas, they are not popular, 3 hours away in California they are plentiful. Shopping long distance is a real PITA though. Might have to make a camping trip out of it and stay a week.

I have a F150 4X4 supercab with the standard bed. If I put the front passenger seat all the way forward and put my body at a slight angle I am easily able to lay down fully stretched. However if you happen to be over 5' 10" then it might not work for you. I'm still able to get in the back if I feel like doing that.... nothing better than having options.

after looking at these trucks for a while and not buying anything yet, here are a few points

1) The F250 or 2500 size truck seems to be the best compromise of cost of maintenance (costs less) with strength and capability of vehicle. Can handle the weight of most camper inserts.
2) Dodge-Chevy-GMC or Ford and their cousins in 4x4? Pick your poison kid. But get a transmission cooler. Cant believe all these trucks that are used for towing or heavy hailing that do not have a transmission cooler. Dodge seems to be slightly favored, though Ford is popular. Would rather get a 4x4 and not need it, than the other way around.
3) Diesel or Gasoline? Well you will buy high mileage vehicle, and Diesel gets twice the longevity, at sometimes twice the cost for maintenance. Fix it up while you are home based first, and then you are likely going to have good longevity.
4) Manual or Automatic? fixing a manual transmission is not that hard. Fixing an automatic transmission requires replacing the whole transmission. Look closely at the history on some of these truck transmission designs. Would think there is a design fix in any manual transmission problem.
5) Look for the long bed 8 foot long. Cant believe that many would buy a six foot bed if they can get two extra feet in a long bed.
6) Where to search? You can look on autotrader.com and you might be looking nationally. Good used trucks are searched for and found and sold fast. Be ready to make an offer.
7) Projected MPG? Think 10 mpg and anything better is a bonus. It will be that bad. Nothing like the car you used to have.

off road you still haven't found one? they all have their pluses and minuses. highdesertranger

offroad said:
5)  Look for the long bed 8 foot long.  Cant believe that many would buy a six foot bed if they can get two extra feet in a long bed.

I don't know what the factory sales figures are re: short vs long bed, But after looking all summer, I can say that if you want the extended cab, I'm seeing about 25 short beds for every long bed.

Regards
John

Just watched a YouTube video where the couple decided on a smallest lightest pull camper trailer that an f150 shortbed can handle. They are minimalists. But it seems like a possible path.

I've thought about trailers but I'm very resistant to it. I don't like the awkwardness of backing up and turning in tight spots and steering in an opposite way while backing is too hard on my limited cognitive ability!
I've been tempted though because we have an Astro van that could pull a lightweight trailer. I figure if we can't afford to get the truck and camper, we could go the trailer route, when the time comes - but I'd rather not (and the van might be too old by then).
The crew cab with long bed does make for a very long vehicle, but I guess still shorter than a class C or pulling a trailer. Extended cab might be a good compromise but I'd love to have that extra storage.
Will also have to consider the center of gravity too.
offroad, do you have the name or link to that couple on youtube with the trailer?

Options:
#1 get as good a truck and camper as we can afford when the time comes
#2 don't spend too much on truck and camper, try it for a year - trade up if we can and want to
#3 use the Astro to pull a decent trailer, try it for a year - then go to a truck/camper if we want

Would love to hear your opinions.

one thing to consider is that truck campers are very tight. there is not a lot of room. even the small travel trailers seem luxurious compared to a truck camper. higdesertranger

Some are the trailer that mounts inside the bed and pivots in a stalk. Those are easier to maneuver

I've seen a slide in camper made of aluminum. With weight saved they were able to build it out to a very comfortable living quarters. There's a YouTube video made by a woman who filmed a walk through of one she just bought. It sure looked nice! She looked just like Sara Palin......

Latest posts