Looking for a small travel trailer.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WinnieShell said:
Shortwave?

HAM radio?

KK4SWX

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes. I just bought a new IC-7300 to be used in a trailer or when we go camping. In the shack I use a Yaesu FTDX-3000, with a kilowatt Acom amp and a Mosley Pro-67 Yagi at 75 ft. I've been a ham for over 30 years.

Wouldn't it be cool to have an RV-ers, HF net?

tx2sturgis said:
Did you look at any of the listings on RVtrader.com?

Yes, definitely. Unfortunately I was unable to find anything withing a reasonable distance (<250 miles) from South Carolina. Finding anything used in decent shape is almost impossible in this area, for some reason. People just don't take care of things. I tried to find a used vehicle too but ended up buying a new one. Perhaps I'm too picky but I'm not willing to pay almost new price for something that was used and abused and not taken care of.
Couple of days ago, I drove an hour to look at a 2011 Heartland MPG. Pictures were crappy but the seller said that the trailer was in excellent, "like new" condition. The paint was peeling, frame was covered with rust. It was far from excellent condition but they were asking $10,000 for it. I would not pay more than $6,000, providing that everything worked. The seller was offended when I said that. LOL. Whatever.

Wow! I bought a 2015 Starcraft from a fellow out of Charlotte for about the same price. He had only used it once. There are some finds, but it takes looking at all the Craigslist areas nearby. Both my son and I looked. The Starcraft is too heavy but just an example, and I was in the Charleston area. If you can go that high keep looking for a Casita, or Scamp, or Boler. There is a forum and a Facebook page. And there is a fiberglass forum too. Actually there are a few Facebook pages for the various egg shaped light trailers. I saw a Boler? listed the other day that was inexpensive, and I think I saw a Casita for 13,000.
Good luck, keep us updated!

I found a 2012 Camplite 16BHB trailer, 3 hours away from us. LINK. They are asking $16,400. I'm not sure how much they will come down on price. I see some new ones selling for around $19,000 but the closest one is almost 300 miles away.
Do any of you guys have experience with these Camplite trailers. They claim to be all aluminum and composite materials, with no wood at all in them.
One thing that really confuses me is the way the hitch is arranged on the trailer. Maybe it looks like this on the pictures but the hitch part on the trailer has a long bar that splits into two frame bars about 2 feet behind the ball attachment. I don't think I'll be able to use my load leveling/weight distributing hitch. I don't think I can tow the trailer safely without it. The dry weight is only 2600 lbs but I'm not comfortable to tow it without any kind of load distributing device and a sway control bar. It may be ok with a full size truck but not for my 4Runner SUV.
Any opinions on this?

I stopped by another dealership today and was very impressed with Starcraft trailers, especially their lifted Autumn Ridge Extreme models. They have lots of ground clearance and insulated/heated underbelly for winter camping. Assembly quality seems to be very good too. The shower has a bubble in the ceiling to fit me very well. This is tempting. I really liked the 19RT model that has a large open platform in from of the trailer. The platform is for an ATV but it can be used for other bulky luggage or to carry just about anything.

Decisions, decisions..... :-/

GypRat said:
Howdy from South Carolina!
We are looking for a small travel trailer, under 5,000 lbs, that can be pulled with out 2016 Toyota 4Runner. I'm having a hard time finding anything I like. It seems like most travel trailers are built poorly. I can't find anything used in decent shape. All the new trailers we looked at, look like they were built by a bunch of drunk boy scouts unless it's something in the $40,000 range. 
 Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not sure how much work you want to do on it but, a small Toyhauler might get you where you want to be. They are generally built stronger that TTs, but the lightest one I've seen was around 4000 lbs. They do often seem to have higher headroom.

GypRat said:
I stopped by another dealership today and was very impressed with Starcraft trailers, especially their lifted Autumn Ridge Extreme models. They have lots of ground clearance and insulated/heated underbelly for winter camping. Assembly quality seems to be very good too. The shower has a bubble in the ceiling to fit me very well. This is tempting. I really liked the 19RT model that has a large open platform in from of the trailer. The platform is for an ATV but it can be used for other bulky luggage or to carry just about anything.

Decisions, decisions..... :-/

I was looking at the floor plans of the Startcraft trailers and I'm leaning towards the 19BH.  I wouldn't need the bunk house area so that can be converted to interior storage area.  And the holding tanks are much larger on the 19BH than the 19RT.  Something you should take into consideration if you plan to do any boon-docking/dry camping.

MikeL said:
I was looking at the floor plans of the Startcraft trailers and I'm leaning towards the 19BH.  I wouldn't need the bunk house area so that can be converted to interior storage area.  And the holding tanks are much larger on the 19BH than the 19RT.  Something you should take into consideration if you plan to do any boon-docking/dry camping.

Thanks. I did look t 19BH models I hate dinettes with knee-high tables (like in the Starcraft) and both my wife and I, don't like the entrance door being bear the bed. 
Also, for some reason, it's hard to find a model with a wall mounted, smaller AC. All of the ones I've seen so far, had roof mounted AC units only. I really like the smaller, side mounted AC because I can run it with a Honda EU-2000 generator. A 13kBTU roof AC will require a $300 "soft start" controller to be able to run it with the generator.
The Starcraft toy hauler looked very nice and I like having all the room in the back that can be customized. I could also bring my dual-sport motorcycle with me when traveling alone.

Thanks everyone for your replies. 
We ended up buying a used 2010 R-pod 173. It's in decent shape and the price was right. I had to repair the refrigerator to make it work on propane. Easy 20 minute fix. I also replaced the tires with a top brand trailer tires. The trailer still needs a few minor repairs but it's ready for camping.
I've been looking at adding a solar charging system.  Will see how it goes.

Good to hear you found something! I've looked at the R-Pod, but only one had a decent bathroom.

Latest posts