Looking for a small travel trailer.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypRat

Reaction score
Howdy from South Carolina!
We are looking for a small travel trailer, under 5,000 lbs, that can be pulled with out 2016 Toyota 4Runner. I'm having a hard time finding anything I like. It seems like most travel trailers are built poorly. I can't find anything used in decent shape. All the new trailers we looked at, look like they were built by a bunch of drunk boy scouts unless it's something in the $40,000 range. 
Also, who do they make showers in those trailers for? Midgets? I'm 6'3", not fat but I can't fit into the most shower compartments.  With the shower curtain closed, I can't even move my arms and it lacks about 5" of headroom. What were they thinking when they designed those things?

Ideally, I want to find a used trailer, under $15,000. Something with decent quality and comfortable for an adult sized person? Do they even exist? What brand should I look for? 
I just watched a video of a Jayco manufacturing facility and was literally shocked. It looks like a third world "slave labor" crap producing facility. It's hard to even consider buying their product. Are they all like this? Am I expecting too much?  :s

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'm in a 4 cylinder Tacoma and 5'10" and was unable to find any manufactured camper trailers light enough, tall enough or long enough I and my wife could live in. Cargo trailer build outs could work but with extra height by the time they are finished need to be aluminum and cost twice as much. We ended up buying a bigger truck and 18' camper trailer that worked but barely (had to lengthen the bed and had maintenance problems) so went back to the Tacoma and tear drops and tiny trailers site and built a custom trailer which we still wish we had bought a larger engine if we are on the interstate. I think that Lew's trailer and V8 truck on Bob's video is close a you can come to small light and well built.

I have heard that Livinlite is a better made trailer. I haven't ever been in one, but I have a friend who's full timing in one. She and her husband started in a Retro and it leaked, so they picked up the other and love it. I looked at them, but I don't think they have enough windows for my liking, so I'm going with a van and a Casita. Casitas are light, but may not be tall enough for you. Of course I could still change my mind about the Casita because I don't pick it up until May, but I'm already working on the van!
Good Luck!
(I just moved from South Carolina to Nevada!)

Livinlite was awesome until they sold out to Thor a couple of years ago. Now, as expected, the quality is declining.

Welcome to the CRVL forums GypRat! Hope you can find a trailer that fits your needs. Good luck with the search!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Design is compromised for light weight and low cost. If they couldn't sell trailers with monthly payments lower than $300, they wouldn't sell in the volumes that make them affordable at all.

Look for a TT with a bubble skylight over the shower. That's for you tall folks, not necessarily light in the bathroom.

I put an extendible shower curtain bar in our TT to make it easier to shower without sticking to the curtain.

Linky Here

ae8b55f96783e45fbf9fb0576c44863b.jpg
44143n.jpg

Thanks guys (and gals)! It's a tough decision. I will not finance anything. If we don;t have the money for it, we don't need it.  Livin-Lite seem like a better built product but they cost a lot more, as obviously expected. I don't like their interiors. The all white interiors are hideous and look like a doctor's office. LOL.
We may look at T@B trailer made by Little-Guy. They seem like well built products. Yes they don't have enough headroom i both the trailer and the shower/bathroom but it may be a good compromise. I could sit on the toilet while taking a shower. It's better than no shower, I guess but it's the only way I can fit in there. I also plan on installing my shortwave ham radio and a Tarheel antenna into our trailer. It's a lot of fun to be camping in the middle of nowhere and be able to talk to the whole world without having to rely on Internet or any man made infrastructure. 
We don't plan on living in the trailer, not yet. It will be used for relatively short trips. It;s just my wife and I. We also have a Siberian Husky tht will travel with us. The dog is one of the major reasons we decided to buy a camper. It's hard to stay in hotels with the dog. 
If we decide to go full time RV-ing, we will probably get a much nicer class C or a Dodge, diesel, dually truck and a smaller 5th wheel trailer. Our budget will be a lot higher too.

BTW, I used to own a 94 Terry, 20 ft travel trailer. It was a 5,000 Lbs trailer with dual axles. The trailer was surprisingly well built. It gave me very few minor problems in 4 years of ownership. I camped in single digit weather and everything worked fine. All of the piping was inside, including the fresh water tank. Nothing froze except the holding tanks but I added some RV antifreeze to keep the drain pipe from being damaged. I miss that trailer. 
I towed it with my 98, 6 cylinder Grand Cherokee. No problems. I took the trailer all over the Northern Arizona, in the mountains. The Jeep pulled it like a little mule. No problems keeping up with a freeway traffic, even on steep mountain roads. Great, reliable and very capable Jeep vehicle. They don't make them as good anymore. I hope our 4Runner can pull a trailer as good and be as reliable. Will see.

Does anyone have any experience with T@B trailers? A new model (with a shower) sells for about $17,000. I bet they will take $15,000. I like their build quality and they look cute, according to my wife :). A smaller "window" type AC is also a plus because my Honda EU-2000 should run it easily.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Nice forum! I'll try to participate often and will hopefully contribute some of my knowledge in the technical threads. I'm an industrial electrical engineer and had also worked as an automotive technician, 20 years ago.

Bob interviewed a woman in a T@B:
I thought I would feel claustrophobic in one, and I'm a foot shorter than you, but to each their own. I'm the midget they make RV showers for! LOL

Won't help you in a 4runner, but for smaller trucks like Rangers, Dakotas and maybe Tacomas the really old 5th wheels are a dream to tow. Lance (the big truck camper maker) had a full line up of 16' to 24' 5th wheels they made in the 80's and 90's, the smaller ones are single axle. The one I have is the biggest and last one they made in 1993 @ 24'. It weighs only 4,000 lbs and being a 5th wheel would tow very well in a smaller truck, you would just need a slider hitch. The smaller Lance 5th wheels look just like the truck camper on wheels. Being Lances they are very well made with full boxed frames and they are inexpensive when you find them, just takes some looking. They are also very short in height, which is a big plus for national forests, as they don't have the traditional room that most 5th wheels have, instead it is a cabover bed like truck campers and class c's have. Also the total length is much shorter on the 5th wheel/ small truck combo than any trailer can get.

Attachments

• image_130792_img_8671.jpg
    image_130792_img_8671.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 15
^^^ That is a nice looking TT!!

I was thinking I should buy it although nowhere to park it at the moment.  :dodgy:

Dover, Florida -- Same trailer, different year (ad states a different weight than FX13 noted above in CL ad -- prior to today, I have viewed some ads not matching pictures): http://www.adsinusa.com/c/4317/4317r5849.htm

Specification Description
Length 17'2"
Width 7'7"
Height 9'10"
Hitch Weight 208 lbs
Dry Weight 2,795 lbs
Gross Weight 3,500 lbs

Parkliners are fairly expensive, especially since new management; increased *base price* mid-$20's upwards above 30's (used are running if lucky $17k). Molded fiberglass are banking $$. I would sway from corrugated metal if wishing for quality and lengthy use; older ones were better. I have read many people complaining with the new-ish models leaking.

18 and 19 footer w/ sliders: http://rv.campingworld.com/searchre...RTLAND&sort=featured_asc&search_mode=advanced

Within the past few days on the Montgomery AL CraigsList there were 2 different smaller/older 5th wheels for $1,500.

Oops...Hello and Welcome!

Jewellann

GypRat said:
Thanks guys (and gals)! It's a tough decision. I will not finance anything. If we don;t have the money for it, we don't need it.  Livin-Lite seem like a better built product but they cost a lot more, as obviously expected. I don't like their interiors. The all white interiors are hideous and look like a doctor's office. LOL.
We may look at T@B trailer made by Little-Guy. They seem like well built products. Yes they don't have enough headroom i both the trailer and the shower/bathroom but it may be a good compromise. I could sit on the toilet while taking a shower. It's better than no shower, I guess but it's the only way I can fit in there. I also plan on installing my shortwave ham radio and a Tarheel antenna into our trailer. It's a lot of fun to be camping in the middle of nowhere and be able to talk to the whole world without having to rely on Internet or any man made infrastructure. 
We don't plan on living in the trailer, not yet. It will be used for relatively short trips. It;s just my wife and I. We also have a Siberian Husky tht will travel with us. The dog is one of the major reasons we decided to buy a camper. It's hard to stay in hotels with the dog. 
If we decide to go full time RV-ing, we will probably get a much nicer class C or a Dodge, diesel, dually truck and a smaller 5th wheel trailer. Our budget will be a lot higher too.

BTW, I used to own a 94 Terry, 20 ft travel trailer. It was a 5,000 Lbs trailer with dual axles. The trailer was surprisingly well built. It gave me very few minor problems in 4 years of ownership. I camped in single digit weather and everything worked fine. All of the piping was inside, including the fresh water tank. Nothing froze except the holding tanks but I added some RV antifreeze to keep the drain pipe from being damaged. I miss that trailer. 
I towed it with my 98, 6 cylinder Grand Cherokee. No problems. I took the trailer all over the Northern Arizona, in the mountains. The Jeep pulled it like a little mule. No problems keeping up with a freeway traffic, even on steep mountain roads. Great, reliable and very capable Jeep vehicle. They don't make them as good anymore. I hope our 4Runner can pull a trailer as good and be as reliable. Will see.

Does anyone have any experience with T@B trailers? A new model (with a shower) sells for about $17,000. I bet they will take $15,000. I like their build quality and they look cute, according to my wife :). A smaller "window" type AC is also a plus because my Honda EU-2000 should run it easily.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Nice forum! I'll try to participate often and will hopefully contribute some of my knowledge in the technical threads. I'm an industrial electrical engineer and had also worked as an automotive technician, 20 years ago.
Ever thought of trying to find another 20 ft. Terry? There are old ones out there that are still in good shape, and you would have a few extra dollars for "field ups".

GypRat said:

Shortwave?

HAM radio?

KK4SWX

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GypsySpirit said:
Bob interviewed a woman in a T@B:  
I thought I would feel claustrophobic in one, and I'm a foot shorter than you, but to each their own.  I'm the midget they make RV showers for!  LOL

You are lucky. Being tall is a MAJOR handicap. Having half of my back fused with titanium rods makes it even harder. Nothing fits. Manufacturers cater to make things comfortable for short people but no one seems to care about making it fit for tall people.

Latest posts