Live in car for 4 months?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
I am considering doing this from june-september. I have a '17 honda civic hatchback, I can remove the rear bench seat so the back seat folds flat and fit a 75" x 30" x 6" latex mattress and have a very comfortable sleeping area; but that's probably about all I can fit; I also have tennis racquets, guitar, clothes etc. some food, maybe cookware, laptop, so obviously it would be tight.

Not sure I could do this, I'm leary....

Myke,

I've lived out of my car, full-time, since the end of 2016. And part-time, for months at a time, since the end of 2009. You can do it if you are a minimalist.

Of the items you listed, my biggest concern would be the guitar. I downsized my full-size acoustic guitar to a backpacker's, and even that was too big. It kept getting in the way, moving from place to place within the car to get to everything else.

I have a blog that may provide some ideas for you. Check out my post from last spring when I took everything out of my car, and then showed some detail where I put everything back in. It's an amazing amount of stuff, to be honest. Also, check out the "How To" articles in the right column of the page. Finally, Bob and I did a couple of "Essentials" videos that will provide a list of minimal items for living out of a small-ish vehicle.

Blog Post: http://suanneonline.blogspot.com/2018/05/mice-and-stuff.html

Video, part 1:
Video part 2:

Everything is a compromise in this lifestyle. So, consider what's most important to you, then downsize to that.

The best to you as you figure this all out. You can do it!

Removing the passenger seat and building a plywood platform with access below to stuff items will greatly increase your space. Maybe take up a four string uk. I used to have a Hondabago but only for weekend trips.

I put a cargo basket on my Prius that's helped a lot. I also have a tent for keeping my things in. When I sleep at night it's basically my mattress and my refrigerator/freezer. I removed my back seats also and have a bedframe.

Suanne said:
I've lived out of my car, full-time, since the end of 2016.  And part-time, for months at a time, since the end of 2009.  You can do it if you are a minimalist

Wow, nice job with that! That is insane you fit so much in there. Looks to be roughly the same size as my civic. Great resources there...

bullfrog said:
Removing the passenger seat and building a plywood platform with access below to stuff items will greatly increase your space.  Maybe take up a four string uk.

That is a great idea, although I'd like to keep the passenger seat for a computer workspace if possible. I have a thinline hollow body guitar that I think could work in the space...

Neal said:
I put a cargo basket on my Prius that's helped a lot. I also have a tent for keeping my things in. When I sleep at night it's basically my mattress and my refrigerator/freezer. I removed my back seats also and have a bedframe.

Great idea; I was pricing out racks and cargo boxes and I'd be looking at about a grand. But it would provide so much more space I definitely need to consider it, although it's quite pricey...

I paid $110.00 for my hitch and $89.00 for my cargo basket. I did it myself it was a bolt on hitch.

Neal said:
I paid $110.00 for my hitch and $89.00 for my cargo basket. I did it myself it was a bolt on hitch.
Ah gotcha. I was looking at the full thule roof rack with cargo box. I don't think I could do the hitch thing on mine...

it all depends on your definition of "living" and what creature comforts you cant go with out.

i lived 2 years in an old geo metro. slept in the car but mostly "lived" outside. cooking with a camp stove on a box, or a table if at a park.

i traveled a lot during that time and had a blast. i wouldnt call it luxury living but i had a lot of people make that comment on how they were jealous or wished they could be that free

myke said:
Ah gotcha. I was looking at the full thule roof rack with cargo box. I don't think I could do the hitch thing on mine...

You may be able to get a used rack set on Craig's List for cheap. Also, depending on where you are at, there is an online organization called Freecycle. I have gotten several high dollar items here in NY State this way over the years, all that is required is to drive to the person's house and picking it up. You also many times will end up making another friend, which is priceless.

myke: What's your motivation?
Is it a general experiment?
Is there a specific reason?
Adventure? Cost-saving? or ???

During this period, would you retain some sort of homebase or storage, and remain within easy distance of it?
If so, you could start very minimalist, build your skills, and learn what you really need. :) That's what I did after my first brief experiments, and it was much less stressful. Each week, I could tweak my loadout, if I felt like it.

myke said:
That is a great idea, although I'd like to keep the passenger seat for a computer workspace if possible.
Have you tried sitting cross-legged on a bed/sofa, instead of using a chair?
If not, try it.
If it works for you, then it translates directly to your vehicle.
For computer usage, I only ever use chairs at paying gigs, the rest of the time I'm a no chair cross-legger. :D

Seminole Wind said:
it all depends on your definition of "living" and what creature comforts you cant go with out.

i lived 2 years in an old geo metro. slept in the car but mostly "lived" outside. cooking with a camp stove on a box, or a table if at a park.

i traveled a lot during that time and had a blast. i wouldnt call it luxury living but i had a lot of people make that comment on how they were jealous or wished they could be that free
Very cool...

Kaylee said:
During this period, would you retain some sort of homebase or storage, and remain within easy distance of it?
If so, you could start very minimalist, build your skills, and learn what you really need. :) That's what I did after my first brief experiments, and it was much less stressful. Each week, I could tweak my loadout, if I felt like it.
That's a possibility to have sort of a home base I could keep some stuff at and build up, good idea...

Latest posts