Car camping/dwelling Starter Checklist

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arceeprimus95

Reaction score
...Hello. I've got a dodge challenger sxt and have done several "test packing and various stuff arrangement" rounds in my trunk. To make it short, I can fit everything, 2 tents, one large and small, 2wool blankets (army), 2 lighter bed sheets, one thin sleeping bag, all my clothes (mostly polyester/ cotton mix fabric) and 3 pair shoes (hiking boots, water shoes, ect) netbook, afew tarps, miscellaneous small gear like campfire starter kits, water purifier straws, folding toilet, small flat screen tv, heavy duty extension cord, heavy duty folding chair, even room for 1 heavy duty camp cot with full size spare in my gigantic trunk, and other odds and ends like battery booster pack behind my front seat. I took out upper back seats but left in the back bench seat as "bed padding" in case I have to set up my tents as storage, empty out the car and sleep in my car with my legs and feet in the trunk. I've done a test run on this and laid myself down in my car to see if it would actually work. I am thinking so far I'm going to be living "out of my car" than in it, atleast part time as a part time nomad. Is there anything that I am missing or overlooking?

collapsable bucket and water container, screens for the car windows, small folding table, , camp chair, garage bags, 2 sizes ziplocks, toilet paper, baby wipes, tooth brush & paste, shampoo, bath soap, dishwashing kit (dishpans, drainer or mat, sponge, detergent, towel), food, water, 1st aid kit....now you can go, LOL.

The first link below is to a Van Conversion website.  At the top of it are several links,  one of which is called a "Bug-Out" car.  There may be some ideas in it that may be helpful.

I’ve seen videos by Bob on what are the essentials for van Wellers I think it was a series of two. Go to his YouTube page and search essentials.

Yes the two “Essentials“ videos by Bob and Suanne are great and must views for anyone starting regardless of vehicle.

Root around on YouTube and CheapRVliving videos for ones by Suanne (she lived in a Prius for years!!!) and other Prius dwellers. (There is a good FaceBook Prius Camping group. Search for posts by the group owner David Swanson, he’s got it locked) -Reason I push the Prius videos, groups, is if you can live/camp be comfortable fulltime in a Prius you have things figured out.
I’ve never even been in a Prius ?