List of suvs that you can live in?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popcorn2007

Reaction score
I'm still hitting a wall of what vehicle i'm wanting to get when i go mobile next year. My goal is to get a chevy cargo van with a cargo trailer. Seem like all the local vans are cheap/high miles or $$/ good condition with little in between the 2.
 So, what suvs are livable-durable and can pull a 3,000lb trailer up a hill?

Suburban is my choice if you want cheap maintenance/repair parts can afford the gasoline. Excursion with the 7.3 if you like Fords and want a diesel. Sequioa if you don't go over 3,000 lbs and want Toyota comfort but even it's fuel milage will drop to 13 or so MPG towing and will be expensive to purchase/maintain if high milage. I'm sure there are some lighter duty choices out there but I've seen too many overloaded/over heated engines and transmissions in my day to recommend them.

2500 series Suburban is the best cheap solution.
The Fords, by the time you get into the cheap realm, are models loaded with built-in gremlins.

If you look back in the Trding Post where I post all the GSA stuff, there are many ugly duckling vans that went very reasonable with lower miles on them.
They come up regularly.

What is your actual budget for the truck??

If you're going to pull a trailer, why not live in that and store your stuff in the SUV?

Yea, i'm looking for something a step below a suburban if possible .  There is a few truck based gm model suvs that look stout enough to pull a converted cargo trailer
Budget would be $10k or less
I have no problems with living in either just the cargo trailer or just   a cargo van/suv. I'm just looking at all my option since i can't seem to find a local cargo van. They are either worn out/fords/high $ chevys

I have something that would be extreme overkill for what you need. A 2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 with the 6.0L diesel....no problem pulling ANY trailer you put behind it.

If you would remove the rear seats, the floor is 9' long by 4.5' wide, taking all the plastic body panels would make it closer to 5.5' wide.

...and that 6.0 engine is the very LAST engine you ever want to own.

A nightmare right from the factory...and by the time you overpay to have the bugs "sort of" fixed, you could have put in a Cummins.
Not worth the hassle.

JD GUMBEE said:
...and that 6.0 engine is the very LAST engine you ever want to own.

A nightmare right from the factory...and by the time you overpay to have the bugs "sort of" fixed, you could have put in a Cummins.
Not worth the hassle.
Agreed about spending the $$ to have it fully bullet proofed...good thing the P.O. had recent receipts for all the work done at 100,000 miles. only 140,000 on it now. It also doesn't have a tune it ....stock.

A Cummins swap would cost what I paid for the vehicle, but would be ultimate !

I  was thinking of a list that had suv's or such  compareable to a chevy tahoe. I looked at the prices of sub's in my area and alot are around the 10k mark.

After I sold my house, I stayed in my SUV for about a month before getting a van.

A van is so much better, except for MPG.

I wouldn't want an SUV unless it was to pull a trailer.

Yea, getting a cargo van is the best option. I am just looking for any other options there are since i can't seem to find a cargo van in my area that is not a ford or has high milage. I'm doing my searches on craigslist and not alot of vans selling by owner that has low miles.

popcorn2007 said:
Yea, getting a cargo van is the best option. I am just looking for any other options there are since i can't seem to find a cargo van in my area that is not a ford or has high milage. I'm doing my searches on craigslist and not alot of vans selling by owner that has low miles.

Check Facebook marketplace.