Life happens

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterplumber

Reaction score
Well, sometimes life just happens and you have to roll with the punches for awhile. First, a couple weeks ago my wife was hit by a hit and run driver. She was amazingly calm when she called me, and thankfully unhurt. When I got there her Ford Escape was spun backwards in the ditch with the whole driver's side behind the front door caved in and one of the rear springs still in the road. Eventually they made contact with the other driver and of course he's uninsured. So he gets a minor ticket and small fine and we get stuck with most of the concequences. Including looking for a new vehicle once the insurance finally settles and hauls this one away. 

Then our younger son whom wrestles for North Dakota State in Fargo calls. He's torn his miniscus and has to have surgery. 6 month recovery so no chance of finishing the season, and it's his senior year so essentially it's the end of his career. So thankful I went up to see him wrestle just a couple weeks ago. He opted to wait until after Christmas to have surgery, but one of us will have to go back up to Fargo and help him for few days after it. 

Then the same son was driving home after his last final last Thursday trying to beat this last big storm. His Jeep started loosing power, running rough, and dropping fuel mileage about Soix Falls. He had just replaced the fuel pump in August, but a scan showed it was running lean. One possible cause was a MAP sensor. So he bought one and but didn't have an angled torx are changing to it. By now it's 10 at night and starting to snow. I told him to just get a hotel for the night. Next morning he buys the tool, changes the sensor, all in 0 degree wind chill while on crutches. Tough kid. He thought it seemed better, so he hit the road. But it started acting up again soon after. So I told him to get another hotel in Omaha, hooked up a trailer and headed out. By the time I got to North Platte NE, it was dark and the roads were nothing but glare ice. I kept going, passing approximately 54 wrecks according to the news and arrived in Omaha at 11:30 that night. Loaded up the Jeep and headed back to Colorado Springs the next morning. Did some testing and sure enough, the new fuel pump is bad. Fortunately it's under warranty but is still have to do the work. 

So all that to say, I'm bummed but won't be able to make it to RTR. Money was already tight this year, and I was going to have to cut it short, only staying 3 days. Since we still have some major expenses that we don't even know what they'll be, I think the wisest thing is to hunker down and work as much as I can to dig us back out of this hole. Hopefully a little later in the Spring I can make a run west and visit a few of you that have become friends in you camps. I'm sorry I won't be able to meet some of you others that I know are planning on going. Hopefully next year things will come together and I can make it for the whole event.

You loaded up your trailer to go get your son and his vehicle in less than desirable conditions.
This is after your son did what he could to try and fix it in less than desirable conditions.
People like you guys are what makes America already great.
And by that I mean taking care of problems yourself by at least trying, and being true to family.

sorry to hear that Doug, but glad everyone is ok. the best to you and yours. highdesertranger

I hope things go better for you in the following days. Rob

Sorry about your luck, masterplumber. I'm glad, though, that your family is intact. Better days are coming.

Life happens to everyone.  Be glad everyone has their health.  Things happen in threes, so you guys should be good for a while. 

My best to your family.

John

Wow, man, that's a string of crappy happenings.
Hope life improves for you soon

Not only am I going to miss you, I'm going to miss the stew... :(

By the way you and your family reacts to life's crap. I'm sure everything will work out and your path will only be blocked for a little while.............

Auto360 said:
You loaded up your trailer to go get your son and his vehicle in less than desirable conditions.
This is after your son did what he could to try and fix it in less than desirable conditions.
People like you guys are what makes America already great.
And by that I mean taking care of problems yourself by at least trying, and being true to family.

It's not my thread and I won't attempt to hijack it but that is one of the nicest compliments I have read. 

Masterplumber has offered help to many people and I believe he would be one that 'would have your back'. 

Rob

Sorry about your bumpy road, MP. Here's hoping for some luck to break your way, ASAP.

Nobody's dead, and nobody's badly injured. But those kinds of things sure do grind you down. Just grit your teeth and continue -- it's usually all you can do. I hope your luck improves.

Almost There said:
Not only am I going to miss you, I'm going to miss the stew... :(

Ha, and I did get an elk this year, so I was planning on bringing your some. I think I'll miss sitting around the campfire with you and Diane the most. Hopefully later in the Spring I can catch up with the two of you. If I don't, you're always welcome to stop by for a rest on the way back through.

MP

I'm heading through CS in a few days and something could always be figured out. I do understand staying to make the cash though.

Hey Jim, I actually live east of Monument. Send me a PM the day before you head out (they take a while to get to my email for some reason) and I'll send you my number. I'd love to buy you a cup of Joe on your way through if you have time.