Let the van build begin!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used the styrofoam from homedepot then I put up 1/4 plywood then I carpeted the walls and ceiling with cheap homedepot carpet and glued it up It was a pain but I'm glad it done in the end thanks Jimmy

Ah so, carpet would be especially good for a non-carpenter like myself, for covering up all the faux pas, lol. Plus add a bit more insulation quality too. 

I've done a couple of iterations on my Savana van build, as new ideas keep coming along. I sleep on my side, so length of bed is not a huge issue, however if some day you decide you want to make the bed longer, you could pull out the wall coverings on the ends of the bed and put a longer mattress in there. The length from wall to wall just above the wheel wells is 74-76", which fits a std twin size mattress. The metal struts that come down to the tops of the wheel wells are a PITN (shown in post #7), but I use a foam mattress so the corners conform to the struts and curvature of the walls. Then I put camper foam pad on the ends of the bed to provide a bit of insulation and padding. Just a thought.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Packlite-Foam-Sleeping-Pad-Blue-19-x-72/9856753

But nice job. Wish I had a window over my desk too, :).

While I despise the carpet on the floor, the carpeted walls and ceiling that came with my van keep it bearable when it gets below freezing. It's also nice if you bang your head, lol.
But oof, I do dislike it on the floor out here. I'm sure my van will weigh fifty lbs more due to sand before I head out of the area at season's end!!

Great job, Jimmy.

109743522_o.jpg

This is what i was thinking about doing before i get a proper build done...

For those who are inspired by this project but don't know how to work with headliner carpet on curved surfaces...
The company Sailrite has a great DIY video on youtube showing all the different steps for how to make it look great and take some of the mystery out of getting that stuff stuck to the wall. They are putting it into a sailboat which is even trickier than a van so you will learn everything you need to know about the steps for different areas of the walls and ceiling and around doors and windows too. Here is the link to that video from the youtube channel Sailrite:

Another alternative is buying bulk headliner material...it is fairly easy to use and sticks to anything with 3M spray glue
small pieces will cover ALL of the metal around the windows and doors. You don't have to cut exact sizes this material stretches

If you need help with wiring PM me i'm in St Pete FL

maki2 said:
For those who are inspired by this project but don't know how to work with headliner carpet on curved surfaces...
The company Sailrite has a great DIY video on youtube showing all the different steps for how to make it look great and take some of the mystery out of getting that stuff stuck to the wall.  They are putting it into a sailboat which is even trickier than a van so you will learn everything you need to know about the steps for different areas of the walls and ceiling and around doors and windows too.  Here is the link to that video from the youtube channel Sailrite:

That actually looks a little easier that what I did which was use just regular floor carpet with floor adhesive thanks for the info!!

Looks really nice. I'm not sure I could sleep on the 5'8" bed even if I were 5'10", but I'm a little over 6'2" and a sideways bed won't work. It sure makes it easier to have a roomier setup.

I agree- looks great and nice clean layout. What did you use for the floor, those interlocking laminate planks?

Made it to quartsite camped off dome rock near where the caravan is surpose to be but haven't found yet I'm in gold window Express van

Jimmyflorida said:
Made it to quartsite camped off dome rock near where the caravan is surpose to be but haven't  found yet I'm in gold window Express van
I'm gonna be making that drive soon from Fl. Did you take I-10 all the way across? If so, did you crash out at rest stops?

Thanks

well i decided to move back into sticks and bricks for awhile til this virus thing is all over i bought a small place back in florida I think i am going to sell my Van if anyone is interested i've put 10k on it in the last 4 months traveling its a 2005 express with the 4.8 400 watts solar and 2 battleborn engle fridge microwave sink basin single burner stove tv/monitor when i get it all cleaned out in the next week or so i will list it in the for sale section asking $15900 has about 89-90000 miles