Passenger van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of staying warm, I recently bought this 12-volt mini electric blanket. WOW it's so wonderful! It only draws 1.3A from my house battery. So now I can save fuel by setting the furnace to 41F at night (to be sure no water freezes), and STILL be "toasty warm".
Please share a link to which 12v blanket you bought. TIA

I wouldn’t have bought a former passenger van if I’d had my druthers, but beggars can’t be choosers in this market if you don’t have tens of thousands of dollars. My van had the “dinghy” installed on top too.

Everything everyone says about the heat and cold issues is true. But if you know that, there are mitigation strategies. My van is about 10 degrees warmer than the outside (so far measured down to 23 outside) and I’ve been comfortable with the duvet, blankets, woolies, hot water bottles, dog, insulation, window coverings. I have more insulation to do in the posts.

But … this view from the 5’ window is spectacular!

Attachments

• 0F2F0BCE-9307-42CD-B8B4-DCF32A39433D.jpeg
    0F2F0BCE-9307-42CD-B8B4-DCF32A39433D.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 13
When I was parked at the south rim of the Grand Canyon looking out the 3-foot long window on the passenger side of my converted 15 passenger Dodge getting ready to take this picture, I was thinking the same thing!
Damn, this view of the Canyon really sucks! I could be staring at a solid wall!

View attachment 29911

To each their own

When I want a good view, I go outside. I'm nearly always outside anyway... or if I'm "working" in the camper, I have the big rear hatch open.

For me, the primary factor in which type of van to buy, was that once I experienced the ability to stand up inside a van, there was no going back to anything less. That was such an exhilarating experience, so home-like, it made all the difference. Now for some, other factors are more important, such as 4WD or All wheel drive, maybe because they intend to do a lot of camping/living on 4WD roads, or lots of windows for lots of views.

I ended up with a Ford Transit medium roof cargo van with a sliding side door, with no windows in the cargo area, which wasn't my ideal, but has worked out fairly well. At some point I MIGHT put a large window in the sliding side door. That is the one area where a window makes the most sense. All other walls of the van have cabinets or other built-ins covering them, including the back door which has shelves/curtains across it. However after over a year of van trips I am not sure that I want that.

I don't live full time in the van, it's used for vacation, but either way, full time or part time, I'd have wanted full creative potential over how to set up the van, which can best be done with a cargo van. When you have a cargo space with no windows, you can design it how you want and cut out windows where you want them, if you decide to do that. However you can't do the reverse: you can't start out with windows all around and turn those into solid walls. At least, not easily. Having unfinished surfaces and solid walls is what you want when you do a custom build.

Given that I have no insulation (gives me an additional 4 inches of wall space on either side! which on one side has translated to two large cabinets with 4 inch shelves!) and appreciate a big view, the obvious solution is to leave the wide sliding side door open as much as possible when camping. I generally park with the sliding door facing away from the roadway or public view. This avails me of plenty of fresh air, plenty of light, plenty of views, and the ability to sit on the floor in the wide doorway and look out. The only time this really doesn't work is if it's raining or snowing, and I'm less likely to be camping in such conditions. Times when it is very windy I also don't want the side door wide open, but those are not many. I usually am not on vacation at times or places where it is very cold.

Also, there are a few "stealth" needs which make it desirable not to have any windows. One is the many pitstops made on a trip, where I need to pull over and go to the bathroom, using my own facilities. When I have no windows I have one less worry in that department. I have blackout curtains which hang between driver cab and cargo area which can easily be pulled shut and leave the cargo area completely private. Another is that from time to time I need to have some type of rest stop or even camp in an area where there isn't a lot of privacy, eg a parking lot or public roadway, and in those cases it is ideal to have no windows and have a "stealth" appearance.

Agreed about being outside to enjoy views. I'm in the back of my van to sleep and do work mostly. If I want views, I'm sitting outside or using my feet to get some nice views. I think there are more cons to having windows than there are pros. So I'm in the no window club.

51341812394_3c4c0b7876_c.jpg

Can always sit in the driver seat if it's windy out and you want to enjoy you're meal.

51376874407_1daf709489_m.jpg

Or open up the doors if it's nice out.

Every day when I wake up, I pray to my higher power. It goes like this:

"Dear Higher Power Dude, please forgive me for being a 'window person.' I know I'm not as smart as wall people but please throw me a crumb or two that I might survive."

Sure enough, when I look out my window afterward, there are my crumbs

"Dear Higher Power Dude, please forgive me for being a 'window person.' I know I'm not as smart as wall people but please throw me a crumb or two that I might survive."

LOL!! :love:🤣

I'm guessing the OP already made a decision on type of van to purchase, but wanted to add my experience for any future thread readers.

Like the OP, my hubby and I are campers and do not plan living in van full time. We intentionally purchased a passenger/conversion van in 2017 to save us the time from building it out from scratch. In just a few days, with our old camping gear and some unused items from the house, we were able to go camping in it. We loved it instantly on the first trip.

Since that first trip in 2017 we have camped all over the east coast, trips usually 2-4 weeks long, culminating with our 9.75 month 16,000+mi excursion throughout the western US this past year.

Addressing some concerns raised in this thread:

1) extra seats

we kept the back seats in our attic for a few years in case we wanted to sell van in future. After deciding to keep van to its grave, they got sold in a matter of hours on craigslist.

2) insulation

We have added no additional insulations to walls of our van and have experienced temps anywhere from 110°F (during heatwave in Seattle area last yr) to 18°F (March in Bryce). We found that we can comfortably survive in van without needing any additional heating/cooling appliances when > 40° and <90° in dry areas, and >45° and <80° in very humid areas with our handmade reflectix/felt window coverings, that we flip depending on cold or hot.

Outside those temps , we have been perfectly comfortable with electric heaters or fans. The only time we can't stand being in van at all when temps are very hot or very warm *and* very humid.

Also, not living in it full time allows you to pick the seasons to travel so insulating from extreme cold and heat is not as much a concern.

3) windows

Being able to open many windows has saved us from having to cut a hole in roof for a fan. There is ample ventilation.

One of our favorite moments is laying in bed in the evenings or getting up in the morning, looking out of the windows to nature makes camping even more magical. We could go outside during those times, but our bed is more comfortable.
😏

As mentioned above, the reflectix/felt window coverings provide ample draft/heat projection.

4) carpeting

We never had moisture problems with the carpet and we live less than 10 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. A vinyl floor sheet was laid on top of it a couple years ago bc we hate carpeting but didn't want to go thru time/effort to rip it out... plus we thought it would help with insulation and sound reduction.

Neither of us has regretted the decision even for a moment to buy the passenger van over a cargo.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the OP already made a decision on type of van to purchase, but wanted to add my experience for any future thread readers.

Like the OP, my hubby and I are campers and do not plan living in van full time. We intentionally purchased a passenger/conversion van in 2017 to save us the time from building it out from scratch. In just a few days, with our old camping gear and some unused items from the house, we were able to go camping in it. We loved it instantly on the first trip.

Since that first trip in 2017 we have camped all over the east coast, trips usually 2-4 weeks long, culminating with our 9.75 month 16,000+mi excursion throughout the western US this past year.

Addressing some concerns raised in this thread:

1) extra seats

we kept the back seats in our attic for a few years in case we wanted to sell van in future. After deciding to keep van to its grave, they got sold in a matter of hours on craigslist.

2) insulation

We have added no additional insulations to walls of our van and have experienced temps anywhere from 110°F (during heatwave in Seattle area last yr) to 18°F (March in Bryce). We found that we can comfortably survive in van without needing any additional heating/cooling appliances when > 40° and <90° in dry areas, and >45° and <80° in very humid areas with our handmade reflectix/felt window coverings, that we flip depending on cold or hot.

Outside those temps , we have been perfectly comfortable with electric heaters or fans. The only time we can't stand being in van at all when temps are very hot or very warm *and* very humid.

Also, not living in it full time allows you to pick the seasons to travel so insulating from extreme cold and heat is not as much a concern.

3) windows

Being able to open many windows has saved us from having to cut a hole in roof for a fan. There is ample ventilation.

One of our favorite moments is laying in bed in the evenings or getting up in the morning, looking out of the windows to nature makes camping even more magical. We could go outside during those times, but our bed is more comfortable.
😏

As mentioned above, the reflectix/felt window coverings provide ample draft/heat projection.

4) carpeting

We never had moisture problems with the carpet and we live less than 10 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. A vinyl floor sheet was laid on top of it a couple years ago bc we hate carpeting but didn't want to go thru time/effort to rip it out... plus we thought it would help with insulation and sound reduction.

Neither of us has regretted the decision even for a moment to buy the passenger van over a cargo.
Great commentary. A conversion van is probably the best solution aside from a tiny house (on wheels) or RV. I like those Dodge conversions from Canada; well worth the price for longevity. You made a great choice keeping your residence, and going with the conversion van.

(y)It's also easy to do this if you are full time in your rig. Southern AZ/CA is plenty warm in winter... or FL if you like it on that side of the country.

Windows do not make a van less stealth. If anything, they make it less suspicious (no kid was ever abducted in a window van, no one would be living in a van with all windows, etc).

Privacy of course, is an issue with windows. There are ways to deal with this depending on your preferences. Black opaque window film is cheap, and will block all light, making it impossible to see in. It also makes it impossible to see out. The other option is removable window coverings. I like the flexibility of being able to choose when I want to see out and when I want privacy. My window covers show black to the outside. They stay in place and are folded up most of the time. I fold them down when privacy is desired, which takes less than 2 minutes for my 8 rear windows. I use a curtain to separate the cockpit area.

The best window covers I have seen are on the Winnebago Solis. It is a black (polyester?) material attached to the wall surrounding the window. They zip up for privacy and zip down for visibility. I am looking for someone who can make something like that for me.

Another disadvantage of windows is lack of insulation. Window covers can be insulated (mine are) but I think the whole concept of insulating a metal box is over rated. The amount of time a van sitting in uncomfortable elements will be able to maintain a comfortable temperature inside without powered assistance, is measured in minutes.

There are advantages to having windows. Being able to look out, rather than at a wall, makes spending time in the van more enjoyable. The natural light windows let in, is mood enhancing. A small space seems less claustrophobic with windows. Drivability (less blind spot, ability to head check) is easier with windows.

I have an offer ($5000) out for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SE in good condition with relatively low mileage. It is a couple thousand miles away from me right now but I have driven it and it runs fine. Part of the offer is that it has to pass a mechanic's inspection. Is my offer wise? Has anyone built out a Grand Caravan?
The van has an electrical problem and I decided I was not interested (formally I changed my offer to $1 :LOL: ). Oh well; on to GSA Auctions.

In a previous life working as a procurement administrator for a big defense firm, I dealt with these folks quite a bit when we did aircraft maintenance contract changeover's from one firm to another at different AFBs. You had to provide an entire equipment and vehicle set to comply w the contract on day 1 if you couldn't procure enough serviceable stuff from the previous contract holder. Their van, stepvan, and box truck inventory gives you a good idea of what's out there in terms of varieties. I'm not posting this as a recommendation. Just FYI. As always: "Caveat Emptor".

https://www.centurytrucks.com/

Cheers!