Leaving Arkansas for RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty716

Reaction score
Finally got cleared from the Doctors, I will be heading out tomorrow afternoon for the RTR from Rison , Arkansas. I plan on taking  40 west to Oklahoma and then cutting down to the 380 , I don't want to be stuck on Interstate the whole time . Or maybe going as far as Amarillo before cutting down. Anyway was just wondering if anyone was on there way and around my area ? we could hook up an travel together.

Why not I-30 to 20 to 10? Just curious.

Danny, you might want to go over through Camden to Hope to I-30, then hit I-20 west at Dallas-Ft Worth...
then head down to I-10.  Better weather perhaps... I-40 could hit some snow in Amarillo area.

We are in Conway area.  This is how we would travel to Quartzite at this time of year... 
Hope you have a great time.  One of these days we may head out, as well...

That option is highlighted as a possible route , I was also thinking about catching hwy 380 just west of Fort Worth and going across . I'm going to have 4 days to drive 1460 miles give or take a few so wasn't wanting to stay on the Interstate. Was wanting to see some country besides the Interstate .

Yes, we cut across country also.  We try to stay off the interstates as much as possible...

Thanks , Nissi , The weather may cause a problem , I was just trying to stay off the Interstate for a change. It seems that I always rush somewhere and don't enjoy the drive. That"s why this time I was cutting out the Interstate

Hope you've got plenty of warm clothes and blankets! Even down here near Tucson it's been in the 20s and even teens at night.

I-40 corridor is going to be cold and windy all the way. Even if you want to take the blue highways, you might consider the southern route this time of year. Be sure to carry extra food, water, clothing, blankets, and road flares, whichever way you travel, and keep them in the vehicle with you, in case you need to sit on the side of the road for a few hours...

The Dire Wolfess

Thank's, Moxadox . That's a good idea, When I went threw the rig the other day i found that I have, 2 extra serpentine belts, a new fuel filter, a new fuel pump, And other misc. light bulbs. I did NOT see road flares or triangles . Thanks for reminding me of that . I also bought a new sleeping bag rated for 0 F and some needed odds an ends. I'm leaving tanks empty till i get there then I will fill up on water,

I don't know how far you were thinking of going on 380, but west of Roswell, whether you continue on 380 or split off on 70 you go over a mountain range. Capitan is at 6,300 feet and Cloudcroft is at 8,600 feet. Snow and ice are possible. If you take 62 from Brownfield TX to El Paso the elevation is a little lower.

If you take 380 to I-25 then 60 west, you get up into high elevations again until you drop down into the Phoenix metro area.

If you continue on 70 to Las Cruces, you can pick up I-10 and avoid higher elevations the rest of the way to Quartzsite.

Smitty716 said:
...I have, 2 extra serpentine belts, a new fuel filter, a new fuel pump...

How about installing fuel pump and one of the serpentine belts before leaving? It's better to do it now and know you're good for 50-100k miles than be trying to install them at the side of the road.

And if you want to go over some of the passes, you might want to include some tire chains.

Tire chains is for sure if you take 40. 380 west of Roswell has a bad reputation for wrecks. There can be insane snow squalls in the mountains in NM and I would not take an RV anywhere near Cloudcroft from Sept through April.

The Dire Wolfess

Made it safe , sitting behind main stage in handicap parking. Trying to figure out where HDR has his camp

The Gold Prospecting Camp  is located across MAIN STREET from you...….All the way to the end of FIRST STREET

doug

Made it on the night of the 7th, slept at loves and then got up and cane out to RTR, haven’t met many people yet but that’s my fault, I will drive over and see if I can catch HDR around. , he wasn’t there when I went by yesterday. Anyway good times

Has anybody heard about schedules for caravans after RTR? I don't know if I'll make it to RTR before the end. I'm a newbie and the idea of hanging with a caravan to start out sounds like a great idea.

Hi, yes, what route from AR. I am from Conway, AR and hope to make the 2020 RTR. I am a newbie snowbird. Lots of getting ready since I have a fixed income. I travel with my standard poodle named Joker in a blue, Town and Country minivan. Hope to meet more AR folks soon.

Hi carestock...  we are from Conway area...   :)