Learning Renovation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CplDevilDog

Reaction score
Hi all,<div><br></div><div>any tips for learning the renovation of trailers? &nbsp;I have a good background in carpentry, construction and even 6 months reconditioning trailers for a National Trailer/Mobile Office Co. but I'm out of practice.</div><div><br></div><div>My first instinct is to walk down to my local RV Dealer and introduce myself. &nbsp;Ask who does their renovations and offer to apprentice myself.</div><div><br></div><div>This would make "property laddering" into my own fulltimer a lot easier.</div><div><br></div><div>Suggestions, opinions?</div>

How does that saying go? &nbsp;"At any business meeting, there is always one sucker at the table. &nbsp;If you can't pick them out, then its you." &nbsp;:-D<div><br></div><div>Unfortunately I don't consider myself very business savvy. &nbsp;If it were not for my much smarter and more risk averse wife, I would have bought a house to flip in 2006 from a "wonderful" company that was not only offering to teach you how to handle a flip (for $4,000) &nbsp;but also offering to sell you one of their properties if you couldn't find one at the end of their class.</div><div><br></div><div>SUCKER. &nbsp;Makes me feel a little sick.</div><div><br></div><div>Anyway, even if I did have the killer instinct of business I wouldn't use it. &nbsp;I like to work hard and treat people right.</div><div><br></div><div>My idea is to buy 'em cheap. &nbsp;Fix them<b> right</b> and re-sell them for a reasonable profit. &nbsp;Probably a business model for failure ;-)</div><div><br></div><div><br><div><br></div><div><br></div></div>

But, I think the best idea is to get a few under my belt where I am not the owner.<div><br></div><div>Make sure I don't buy the equivalent of some Florida Swampland</div><div><br></div>

<p>By trailers, do you mean mobile homes or RVs? If you mean RVs are you trained in all the different areas of trailers like propane systems, water and 12/110 volt electric? I would think renovating means rewiring while you had the crappy paneling off so you would probably need to know everything. Or are you just thinking of finish carpentry type stuff? If you are a general RV tech then I would think work would be easy to find. Bob</p>

Ahhh, good point, the distinction between the two.

Yeah, mostly trailers. Gutting paneling, siding, structural repairs, production style finishes, that sort of stuff.

I have some plumbing and electric experience but I would definetly have to bring my propane and AC skills up to speed.

I belong to this <A href="http://vintageshasta.proboards.com/index.cgi" target=_blank>http://vintageshasta.proboards.com/index.cgi</A><br>Lots of build threads on it and blogs. Some of these people take them down to the bare bones and then replace most the bones. Most on this site have trailers older than even me, well almost older than me. I don't know that you are talking total rebuilds but the experience is there for you.My old trailer needed a lot but not like some of these.<br>A helpful group as well.<br>Dragonfly<br>

I'm kinda in the same boat as cpldvldog. I tend to not make money at it even though have renovated my share of things ( I'm a licensed/insured builder and remodeler and have dabbled in heavy equipment and classic cars.) I have a 69 Shasta, that had I done a faithful, precise restoration on, would go for about $12.5k. But I made it usable and fun, and have camped in it quite a few times . Sadly, age and rot have caught up with the wood framing, and it might be time to retire it. We'll see, my wife and I plan to use it around Easter somewhere in the smokey mtns. I guess, my point is, I'll lose money on this one no matter what, but got to enjoy it thoroughly.and I would most likely sell the major components, or recycle them into another trailer, or my bus.
Les

Thanks for all of the info folks.<div><br></div><div>Checked out the Shasta Reno forums and that looks like a great resource.</div><div><br></div><div>Wonder if steel studs would work on some of these renovations? &nbsp;Of course at some point you may as well just build from scratch ;-)</div><div><br></div><div>Thinking about taking a welding class down at the local CC</div>

Just going to put this out there.<div><br></div><div>If anyone is handling a renovation in SW PA or Central MD (where I have family) and would like a hand PM me.</div><div><br></div><div>I have just about every tool under the sun. &nbsp;Still missing my lathe and scroll saw but I'm working on those :)</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>