Philosophy, I need to stop this and get away.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread. I'm new to this community and since I retired last year, I am planning on giving it all up and hitting the road. But that is for another thread.

My response to Tundrawolf has to be clarified: I was an Animal Control Officer for 30+ years. Over that time I was involved in numerous cases of people owning more animals than they could care for. Horrible conditions. I was always attending any training session I could on the subject in order to help these people, to understand the problem and to try to benefit both animal and person. I learned alot in those years.

Please take my comments for the advice they are and not any demeaning value. Your Post #22 concerned me because those are classic signs of hoarding. The reasoning about minor items and the mulling over of actions years later are one of the reasons why people hoard. Studies have been done that it is a form of OCD and there are various levels to the condition.

You may or may not have what I am describing. I am no doctor. But you might want to seek some type of help regarding this. And by help I mean medical, spiritual or even just a Kaffee Klatch with some deep-souled friends. I really believe that once you step back and survey what is happening with some fresh eyes, you might have a better perspective on things. I know I did.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Guy's post, #3 on the first page, seems a good fit for you, if you find the work tolerable. I've done this as well and have seen folks with your skills flourish and do quite well for themselves as they full time in an RV that's towed behind the work truck. Now this truck, depending on the individual, may have a burning outfit & welder with enough hose & lead to be that mobile tech that folks need from time to time. Your skills may be desired by an employer enough that they'll keep you on yet still travel for the work as this is how the employer operates. If an employer doesn't keep you on when the job is completed, you'll be among the ranks and in the loop with so many other interesting folks that travel for work, primarily on industrial applications like pipelines, refineries, power plants, etc. Usually an overtime paying job as the customer wants it done yesterday, you could earn enough to pay for your travels, your spread back home, desired toys/equipment, and over the next 30 years, (your 38?), provide for yourself a retirement nest egg even as you continue to be that mobile tech that people may need from time to time.