Philosophy, I need to stop this and get away.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canine said:
I'm not saying get rid of every single thing you own and live in a cave. If a screwdriver has value and you can justify it, then keep it. It takes up little room, is not a large investment in money, can be used often and in a wide variety of situations.

The problem is I have a very high IQ, Mensa, and I am very technical, I see a scrap of wire on the ground and I realize I can literally repair your car with that and get it on the back of the road. Every screw, nut, bolt, torn twisted piece of metal has potential to effect a repair. I have made THINGS (Machines, electronics, with purpose, function, usefulness) from no-thing that people discard.

Literally everything I have has purpose and value. When I throw something away, there are a thousand things I can do with that thing that I will now, not be able to do with it. 

I have, in the past, thrown things away, and even years later, desperately come to need that thing, not had it, and severely regretted being unable to accomplish my task, or live without a certain something continuing to function. The feeling was devastating.

EVERYTHING I OWN HAS VALUE, AND PURPOSE. There are almost no exceptions, save the littering of small broken pieces of glass or plastic I have yet to pick up off of the ground.. 

How can I move past that? 

And yet I recognize, and I feel the life sucked out of me when I view all of these THINGS, what 95% of people would toss into the garbage without a second thought, in fact, when I was a child I would take broken things from the garbage, and repair them easily, and I would HAVE THAT THING that someone else discarded. 

I have been called McGuyver by many people, many times, my mom tells the story of when I repaired her Jeep on the road with a wire when I was 5 years old. ( I opened the hood and saw that the wire to the ignition coil was broken or removed and I spliced it back on, and she was able to get home, nobody taught me that, I just knew how to do it) 

Because I just know how things work instinctively, and I know how to fix them. That broken "thing" you are ready to throw away I could probably fix, or use it to repair a hundred other things, with the components inside. There isn't much I have come across that is totally without value. And yet I can't stand to look at the "things" i have collected, they are a weight, a burden.

Should I pay someone to come steal my things? I am being halfway sarcastic. I know I am weighed down by these things. 

I guess I literally have no idea what to do next. I am overwhelmed, overburdened, confused and needing guidance. I am asking God for help. But you guys are giving me some hard wisdom and I am considering it. For the first time today I am thinking about being a slave to my stuff. And how maybe, I can get by without most of it. I just don't know where to begin. 

I continue to entertain the idea of putting everything into a shipping container (Everything would fit, except for the vehicles, with room to spare) and putting it onto my land and renting the land out. Building a house on it to rent it out has become a goal for me.

Tundrawolf said:
The problem is I have a very high IQ, Mensa, and I am very technical, I see a scrap of wire on the ground and I realize I can literally repair your car with that and get it on the back of the road.

That is impressive! I could do all of that too, but getting the car on the BACK of the road, nope.  Couldn't even imagine. Better take a pic!  :cool:

Best of luck with coming up with a solution that works for you.

At one point I had a bunch of stuff. Much less than most people, but still more stuff than I needed. I decided to go through it and get rid of what I didn't need, so off it went. Happy that I took care of that, I dusted my hands off, patted myself on the back, and went on with my life.

Then I moved and again realized all the crap I had. That surprised me. I could have sworn that had been taken care of. Well, I missed a few things, so what? I went through it again and this time did it right.

Then one day I was looking for something and noticed I had two hardhats. Two. I may never need a hardhat, so why did I keep two? That didn't make sense to me and embarrassed me, so I went through my stuff yet again. This time for sure I had it licked.

Nope. Took me like 7 or 8 times to get to the point I'm at now. It's a process. It is still ongoing to maintain my current balance of stuff and freedom. It isn't hard now, but it does take a conscious effort at times.

Sometimes I run across a situation where I could have used something I previously had then need to make a trip to buy it. I'm OK with that. I rely on stores to warehouse what I need, not my house. Yes, the individual items I need cost more than the item I had for cheap or free, but that cost is easily offset by the money I saved by living simply.

There are different business models. Traditionally, if a business needed something, they would buy it and keep it in a warehouse. Nowadays that is changing. Keeping a high overhead is expensive, so businesses are looking to save money and one way is to reduce inventory, so they ship stuff in. Stuff is so available today that we can have what we need in a couple days. Shipping is expensive, but not as expensive as having a large warehouse, having to tie up resources to keep stuff in hand just in case they may need it one day, fixing or replacing damaged product because the roof had a leak, paying for insurance, paying for security, paying for lawyers to deal with criminal activities, etc. Trying to identify what to warehouse and what to order on an as-needed basis can be tricky, but even if you don't get it exactly right, not having a large warehouse saves a lot of money.

I like to think I live in a kiosk and use JIT (Just In Time) inventory methods. Why have 800 square feet when 80 will do? I can't take advantage of buying bulk propane by having a 500 gallon tank, so I buy it 5 gallons at a time. I have 15 gallon capacity of propane (three 5 gallon tanks) and buy 10 gallons at a time which lasts me two or three weeks in the winter. I would prefer to buy propane only once or twice a year, but in order to do that I would have to spend a ton of money on land and a house in order to be able to store and take advantage of the bulk prices, so it isn't cost effective. Some people have only one propane tank, but I want more, so I have triple the amount that they do. That's my balance. I pay for it in lost space in my trailer, but I justify it in fewer trips made to buy propane. I also use waaaaay less propane than the average person, so my impact on the environment is minimized; I find value in that, too. For me it isn't just about cost.

Some people can make it only 3 days before they need to hit the store. That is ridiculous for my desires. I want to go every 2 to 3 weeks when possible. Compared to them, I'm a Sam's Club, and they probably think I get a little carried away. lol

If the transfer case in my truck ever fails, I would like to be able to fix it myself. Not just because I know it would get done correctly, but because that would save me a ton of money since it isn't the parts that get ya, it's the labor. There was a time when I had a garage, jacks, ramps, a creeper, and everything to be able to do that safely by myself. Now I can't reasonably do it. I'm not going to roll around in the dirt and rocks and rain and try to bench press a transfer case and scooch it out from under the truck without dragging it through the dirt. Jobs like that I now let mechanics take care of. It's a sacrifice I have made to have the lifestyle I now live.

I want everything, but I can't have it all. I, too, am a surprisingly smart dude. Part of that intelligence is because I'm so dogged. When I get a laser focus on something, I won't let go. I've learned to a small degree to step back and take a breath every once in a while and re-evaluate. That's hard for me to do and takes a conscious effort to do. I like my laser focus and my ability to not waver in the face of adversity, but not when those attributes cause me harm. You have some great strengths; use them to the best of your ability. Try not to use your strengths just because you can; use them to your advantage.

Keeping too much stuff is sometimes like stepping over dollars and picking up nickels. I know a guy who has a canoe. He keeps it in storage because he doesn't have room at his place. He uses that canoe maybe once every 3 years. Over 3 years of time, that storage cost him $2880. Then add the initial cost of the canoe. If he rented a canoe for $100/day on the rare occasion he needed one, he would have saved thousands of dollars. My sister bought a nice, artificial Christmas tree this year for $35. That is a good deal for sure, but now that she is keeping it in storage at $45/month, that tree is getting expensive. My sister can't reasonably afford the storage, but she pays for it anyway.

One time I had a smart phone. $100 dollars per month. It was fun and had value, but it was largely frivilous. After 8 months, I got tired of paying that money out. I could do a lot with an extra $1200 in my pocket at the end of the year. I wanted to cancel the contract, but the cancellation fee was $200 or so. I balked, but after doing some quick math, I realized that in 5 months I would break even and start saving money. The contract was cancelled the next day with no regrets. Now if I want to buy something or need some information, I have to wait until I get home. Oh, well. That's the price I pay for being frugal. With the money saved I have tons more fun traveling instead of playing with a phone.

We all have to live within our means or pay some severe consequences. We all have to identify (through trial and error usually) what we value and enjoy. I still occasionally have buyer's remorse. I still occasionally have regrets. Not near as much now. Life is sooo much better.

Epiphanies are rare; don't have too high of expectations of making changes. Ask anyone here. It took most of them time. The rest that accomplished this lifestyle right away were victims of fire, divorce, or some other life-changing event. It's OK to be frustrated or confused or whatever, but try not to beat yourself up. You have skills and abilities that many people would give their, umm, left ear for. Yeah, their left ear. You are already ahead of the game in some ways.

Snow Gypsy said:
I learned years ago about codes and how they would get in my way.  Sadly, that was decades ago and now the codes are even more restrictive. 

I live in a big town for Maine,  about 20k people.  Though it doesn't feel like it.  We have all the codes on the books...........but.........they are extremely lax about them and extremely flexible.  So I tend to think there are a lot of places like that, people freak out about all the codes, but in reality they are no big deal.  I lived in an RV in my driveway on a main road for two years and nobody cared, including the building inspector.

Tundrawolf said:
Literally everything I have has purpose and value. When I throw something away, there are a thousand things I can do with that thing that I will now, not be able to do with it. 

I have, in the past, thrown things away, and even years later, desperately come to need that thing, not had it, and severely regretted being unable to accomplish my task, or live without a certain something continuing to function. The feeling was devastating.
    You remind me a lot of myself.  I own a lot of stuff and I value all of it. But it's mostly in the form of tools.....things I use daily.  I've done the sell everything I own and hit the road twice now.  I'll admit it's a very free feeling to hit the road and everything you own is in the vehicle you're traveling in.  But I like making things and I like working around my house.....having chickens, a garden, a woodshop I can build things in to make money.  I save things that I know will have a use down the road....parts to fix things and the such.  
     There are a lot of tools I wish I never sold as I've not been able to get them back yet.....mainly industrial woodworking machines.   But at the same time I don't really regret it either as the multi month road trips had a lot of value in them, especially learning a lot about myself.  The other thing selling everything did was make me a lot more conscious of the things I reacquire.  I'm a lot more organized now and if I ever wanted to liquidate everything again, it would actually be fairly easy.....easy in the amount of time it would take to actually do it.  Probably not so easy mentally.   
       So where this is all going is i've discovered I need both things.....my homebase and my "stuff" and I need to travel for extended periods.  Doing either one all the time doesn't work for me but doing them both some of the time does.  I have a feeling you might be the exact same way.  Play around with some self employment, I think it will fit you.  And it gives you the freedom to do the other things in life you value with out having to answering to anyone when you want to take some time off, or a long weekend, or when the weather is nice and you just want a day to yourself.  
         I think a lot of people get bored doing the same thing day in and day out, year after year after year.  I'm certainly not wired for it.  Thus the reason I need to mix things up....making money a few different ways, traveling when I get cabin fever and having the home base when i want to do the home base sort of things.  Keeps life interesting and I never get bored this way.

Every Road Leads Home said:
        So where this is all going is i've discovered I need both things.....my homebase and my "stuff" and I need to travel for extended periods.  Doing either one all the time doesn't work for me but doing them both some of the time does.  I have a feeling you might be the exact same way.  Play around with some self employment, I think it will fit you.  And it gives you the freedom to do the other things in life you value with out having to answering to anyone when you want to take some time off, or a long weekend, or when the weather is nice and you just want a day to yourself.  

I think you are the closest to his nature, for discussion on need for home versus nomad, and needing both being a distinct reality for him. 
There's a lot of good and different roads of reflections in this entire thread. I've even learned more about my own self & my thought patterns and about that "stuff".
In regards to this whole process of thought, decision, action and completion taking considerable time, yes it does. I've been working on this steadily for nearly 5 years. If I'd gotten rid of all my "stuff" then I would not have been able to do what I've done to get where I am today, which is an almost ability to travel 100% full time. The goal is 100% and I'm at 80%. The 20% part is stuff which I still need to do what I'm doing I can come here and use it, and fortunately friend is doing it willingly without much protest or grumbling. That part is not only burdening to me, but is a burden to my friend who is still housing the stuff so long. Much of the stuff is tools and stored materials to build my van which I've had stored there for years. This year is the year to finish up using then get rid of excess storage of tools and left over stuff and do the final finishing touches of my van. 

Still, it was not and is not easy to get rid of the tools & whatnot that I've needed the most in the past 2 years while building up van. Some of the things I've gotten rid of, I've also needed too. It is frustrating to really need an item you had gotten rid of, but here is the kicker! I can honestly say that I can't remember what it was that I needed. And I do not have selective or biological memory problems, at all. Memory is funny, we remember those things that are important to us and forget those that aren't. 

But at some point, I must get rid of it all to be at my 100% goal and I expect there will soon be the whirlwind of getting rid of the rest of my stuff in as quick a manner anyone possibly could. I don't expect to sell it all or make a profit. I expect to pack it up and haul it off.
To be honest, if I were to have to get rid of all my belongings in one go, it would have made it quite difficult on a few important levels. Had I been forced to downsize to zero and instantly become a vandweller it would not have been easy. It would be doable by force but it could cause resentment. By my doing it willingly for love of my van life of various adventures for 4 decades already, there is no anger or resentment and I know I won't miss my stuff. My goal since the 1980s was to retire and be 100% in my van of choice and traveling full time. I never wanted a larger RV although I've tried a few out, they are not for me. 

So, what I'm getting at is his overall goal. What is it? He is working on that one goal now which may include two sub goals, having both home and travel lifestyle. For him, it might be the best to have those two goals and do some regrouping and fine cleanup of the messy edges that are presently hovering around those two goals. 

I want to add something here that a good friend once discussed with me. It is not meant to be a dig at any others, but is merely her observations over 50 years in the arena of horses and their owners. She was an Arabian and Polish Dansk horse breeder & Park horse/rider trainer of the finest horse bloodlines over in an area of CA. She had a large ranch and often rented out stalls and small barns to horse owners.

She said this on what she'd concluded during the years of her experiences, 
"Most average horse owners are living on the edge and their own life is suffering to own the horses because they love horses. If they're stable and of means, then they do not rent, they own what they need to have and care properly for horses. When it comes to paying rent, they for the most part are not reliable and rent is the first thing not paid when the going gets rough. I've lost more rent money and have had to get rid of piles and boxes of their personal belongings after they abandoned it here and have moved on elsewhere. I'm the one stuck holding the bags of junk, and with an emptier wallet, and over the years even a few very sick or even dead horses were left here by their owners for the large cost of dealing with horse health or their remains, which requires either money or a backhoe. I can't stand by and watch a horse be neglected. I have to step in and take care of it out of my pocket when the owner won't or can't pay for care. I've had to buy more hay for starving horses who are fed less than they needed because they're not an "easy keeper". Horses eat a lot, it costs a lot to feed and care for a horse. Horses do lose weight almost overnight when underfed daily when owner is broke or living on a financial edge, and the #1 sign of this is the horse gets visibly bony fast." 

Lastly, I won't argue the above on horses/owners. It was her statements on her valid experiences, not mine, I won't argue it, for it is not my argument and where argument literally means topic discussion pros and cons and the psychological yada yada. I've debated with myself whether to bring all this up here, or not. This morning, I had the time to do so. One thing that is distasteful for me, is being told "Why didn't you tell me if you knew already?" The other thing that is distasteful for me, in an example like this, and where I could have said it but didn't and I tell myself "I should have told him when I had the chance, but couldn't or didn't take the time to think it out and type it up."
Well that works for minor things, letting others' learn by experiences, but in this case, what needed to be said has now been said about renting to horses owners who already are of lesser means.

Owners of home/apt rental properties would tell you the very same things my horse ranch owner friend said, excepting one has no horses and the other does. One has children, the other has horse. Some property owners, who've dealt with parental child neglect, now don't want to rent to parents with children, and they didn't until the rental anti-discrimination laws came into being. Horse owning renters can and does complicate matters frequently. Horses involved ups the financial betting greatly. It is what it is and there is little argument there.

My reasoning for bringing it up is to let him know that renting to horse owners is not always what has been a misty eyed or widely romanticized idea of having horses around, which it is on a good day on a well run 1 or 2 horse ranch or farm, but is likely not a positive or financially lucrative adventure for the property owner for the singular horse owner and renter. It could cost him greatly and in the end, the city could & would hold him liable on certain areas. Liability insurance is another factor. Horses are, or were, known as an "attractive nuisance" like a pool or trampoline in a yard.

That's my take on those other things to think about but are not often spoken on very truthfully.

So far as codes, we lived out in Pima County in the 1990s and saw an area where codes had not been enforced, a rather rough area too, and all the sudden they started enforcing the codes forcing the people out that had been living in the area. If an area gets attractive to a builder, I think this is more likely to happen. I have also seen someone put up the "bones" of a giant greenhouse because they expected to be "commercial", real estate agent told them "no problem", city said "take it down per the zoning/codes", after a 2 year fight, it was taken down and the owners sold the property (several acres) and moved. Be VERY careful and always check with officials when it comes to zoning and codes. "Begging forgiveness" and losing can be very costly, lax enforcement can change overnight.

Exactly, well put.

Just getting in different elected officials or appointed staff can change things, best to inform yourself properly of the letter of the law (land use regs) and stick to it.

Snow Gypsy, good point on the ask forgiveness part. Building a structure and hoping for the best would not be a good way to go. Parking overnight in a questionable area then being asked to move would be where I would be OK with asking for forgiveness. Zoning laws can be weird as all get-out. I know a piece of land that was zoned where you couldn't back your vehicle in so it was facing out; you had to pull straight in so it was facing the house. Not that anyone would enforce that, but there are many, many arbitrary rules that need to be followed.

If some of the nails used to hold up non-structural paneling are 13 inches apart instead of 12, you have to put more nails in before the building inspector approves. If you don't paint the underside of of your roof, you won't get approved until it is painted. Then if you get a different inspector the next time, he/she will find different stuff to fault you for. It's an uphill battle to appease those minor demi-gods of their own little world.

Tundrawolf,

I also love writing. I wrote a book about my experience before, during and after war. It took me years to write the book. I wasn't good enough to get it published. I only pitched it once. Then I realized, I didn't write it to be published, I wrote it for me. I wrote it so that I could process the experiences and get past them. You can find it on kindle if you work hard enough to figure out my full name ;). There is enough info on this site to do it.

You say all this stuff about land and tools but when you spoke of love you spoke of writing. When you spoke of happiness you spoke of camping.

You have a couple different things going on.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. The journey is as important as the destination, however, bringing the destination into a possible reality for you and your life requires that you take the first step, out of your mind and into real life.

If I read your post properly, you didn't write a pitch letter yet. You might not have researched the writing and publishing industry. Writer's Market might be the book you want. I think I pay an ongoing five dollar subscription to writer's marketplace. You assume your work is not valuable enough to make money at it?

Blend your technical know how into your Science Fiction writing. If you don't want to publish - at least get your work out there - see if you can sell a few copies. Make it public. Do a press release.

Tools. I had a big van. A 1990 Ford Wagon Econoline. V8 5.8 I think. I bought the vehicle, I bought the tools, I worked on it for about six months. This thing was cool too had about 400 watts of solar on it. My living situation changed, my room mate moved to New Orleans, I had to decide how I was going to live and took a room across town, so I ended up wanting a vehicle that would always run. I gave the van and the tools to my friend who is working on a nomadic cycling group because he loves nomadic travel and needs a business to fit - he loves cycling. I financed a Fit and now live in it.

One question that can help is this: if you could buy a house with all the codes and so on - would you live a nomadic to semi nomadic lifestyle? If the answer is no then you might be nostalgically trying to make something work in your mind to meet your need for the forest. If your answer is yes then it's something to work toward - but how?

You mentioned feeding the homeless and feeding wolves. You must understand what it feels like to be without and have compassion for life. This is excellent but one of the most common things that happens with people who are thus driven, is it's all coming from somewhere; an idea, a thought, a desire to ensure others don't have to be in pain like you are (conjecture - don't take my meaning literal less it applies); and, then the thing those people don't do is turn that compassion on themselves. Yes, there are lots of cliche ways to say love yourself and self love; but, it didn't become a cliche for nothin'. Loving oneself is a part of human social needs because if we don't care about ourselves we often misrepresent who we are and don't ask others for the social needs we have.

Two reasons I drew this conclusion... It could be inaccurate but perhaps me saying it will help anyhow.

You're not taking the risk to monetize something you love doing because you have a preconception about what that thing is worth to others. In order to do that, you must have overlooked your feelings for yourself and decided somehow that your work is not of value because you are not of value. All things being equal, a thing that is equal to one thing is also equal another thing that is equal to one thing. (got that from a movie - something about euclid? IDK).

Your not monetizing your love for wolves. Your not monetizing your ability to build things that function. Your not monetizing your love for writing. Your not monetizing your love for camping. Your scared to do what you love. And that's completely normal and completely okay but fear isn't a mechanism to keep us from doing things. It's a mechanism to help us be careful about how we do things. Fear isn't meant to be a barrier, it's meant to be a process which preserves your ability to survive.

Here's the logic on that. What if you were afraid to meet your basic needs, breathing, eating, preserving self through shelter and clothing. You would die. Fear isn't meant to help you die. Other wise fear wouldn't exist in our current form. Fear is meant to help you live. Courage isn't the feeling you get before the thing, it's the feeling you get after you did something you were afraid to do. And the logic there is, we admire people who are courageous because we honor those who have walked through fear.

This argument is really just to check on how you think of fear. If you think fear is meant to protect you so you avoid that which you are afraid of you may have misunderstood the sort of point of being afraid of something which can derail you into thinking don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. Well sometimes fear should be heard and listened to. But not in the case of your writing, your dogs, your dreams.

Without money you will not be able to keep the land. You love the land, you need the land, the land takes part in your dreams and yet you can't seem get to the logical position that your high IQ and technical skills are worth what the land is worth to you. This falls back to a self worth issue.

You don't want to fix cars for money, build fence for money, weld for money (or you would have even if it took your far from the land). You want to help people and you want your technical and innovative skills to be challenged. You want to be an imaginer, dreamer, inventor, engineer and builder, but not a builder of things that people have built already or already know how to build but things that need to be built.

How to monetize a passion. A) find a market that is preexisting and break down the doors. B) create a market for what your skills are and sell. C) build a social community around what you want to do. D) find someone who does something you love and invite them to work with you or work for them. (Maybe a few more).

Okay, so I took a great deal of leisure here. But I responded to what I heard in your words with what my impressions are. Only you know if the words I write here now are true to you or not. Like someone said above, you have to find your own way, and in that way you will surely have to face yourself.

if you want you can find my website which has a bunch of exercises that could be helpful. I'm not gonna post it here. Cuz, you know the thing about horses and water.

Oh, and the single thing. You meet a mate and I mean friend, companion, lover etc when you are you. Be you, you find a mate. It's simple logic but trust me on that one, it's all about psychology and love maps and human evolution and junk.

Well that was a let down. When it started out I was nodding my head in agreement. By the time I finished the second post by the OP it was a complete U-turn.

You can't have it both ways. If you want a fixed place with stuff, you are at the mercy of the government and their demand for revenue. In fact, to a lesser extent, even if mobile this will still be the case.

Death and taxes, my friend. Choose how you'll entertain yourself along the way.

WanderingCanuck said:
If you want a fixed place with stuff, you are at the mercy of the government and their demand for revenue.  
In fact, to a lesser extent, even if mobile this will still be the case.

Death and taxes, my friend.  Choose how you'll entertain yourself along the way.
Aside the fact that tho I can be comfy as both an extrovert + Introverted, I could only "entertain" nomadness in a caravan...
And beyond that
is your statement "if mobile this will still be the case: at the mercy of the government's demand for $$" -
And beyond that
When the tires, & engine, or transmission, etc. etc. NEED replacing, how is the $300/month S.S. recipient going to manage that ??
Do tell...

Victor said:
If I read your post properly, you didn't write a pitch letter yet. You might not have researched the writing and publishing industry. 

I work in the publishing industry (I'm an editor for a small publishing company), so I can speak to that.....

The industry has changed a lot over the years. It used to be that the only way to get published was to spend many years working at magazine articles to build up a reputation, then obtaining a literary agent (well, you USED to be able to just propose books to editors yourself, but nowadays virtually no editor will look at anything that doesn't come through an agent).

Today, with the rise of self-publishing and ebooks, that is no longer true. Amazon and Apple both now have programs through which anyone can publish and sell their own ebooks, and Amazon also produces and sells print books as well. So today virtually anyone, anywhere, can get published.

But, sadly one fact of the industry remains true: most writers cannot make a living at it. Typically, about 80% of all book sales come from just 20% of all the published titles, and the majority of published books sell less than 100 copies. So it is not an easy way to make a living.

So if you write for the love of it and just want to see your stuff published, that is now pretty easy to do. If you seriously want to make a living at it, that is very very hard to do.

Victor said:
Tundrawolf,

I also love writing. I wrote a book about my experience before, during and after war. It took me years to write the book. I wasn't good enough to get it published. I only pitched it once. 

It should also be noted that nearly every book ever written has been rejected multiple times before it was finally accepted by someone and published. That usually has nothing to do with whether it is "good enough"--it is most often simply because the publisher already has a similar title in the works and doesn't need a duplicate, or because the publisher specializes in a certain type of book and this one doesn't fit in.

So the key is to keep plugging. Writers learn quickly how to deal with rejection. We face it constantly, all the time.  :)

Thanks for that Lenny. I knew that also. But I needed to get past that particular piece of writing. As for the making money at writing - yeah, but it's not a reason to work your butt off and not get your work out there you know?

Annie W said:
Aside the fact that tho I can be comfy as both an extrovert + Introverted, I could only "entertain" nomadness in a caravan...
And beyond that
is your statement "if mobile this will still be the case: at the mercy of the government's demand for $$" -
And beyond that
When the tires, & engine, or transmission, etc. etc. NEED replacing, how is the $300/month S.S. recipient going to manage that ??
Do tell...

I think you may have misinterpreted my response because I have no idea how this relates to what I said.

WanderingCanuck said:
I think you may have misinterpreted my response because I have no idea how this relates to what I said.
Pardon me. It appears a new thread would have served those issues I asked about better.

You guys, thank you for this advice. You have really helped me to re orient my priorities right now, and I have a sort of workable goal to work towards. For the first time, I have actually considered selling three of the trucks, which is saying something. It is also possible I will maybe self publish some of my novels, but I am still on the fence with that one. Thank you all for your advice, I will endeavor to keep you all updated with my progress.

Good job, decisions like yours are difficult at best, sometimes sad to make for it is a loss. You get over it fairly quickly, may even feel some relief of having so, or too, much. 

Smashwords, has a helpful & free guidelines for ePub, is a free download, if you need it for your self-pubs, I can find it for you. Amazon Kindle & others as well. Just say the word.

I will be curious as to how you feel after you downsize. Not immediately, but after a few months. Myself, I feel less stress, more relieved, freer even. The process was awkward at first, but I have since found it liberating. Now that I don't have two vehicles, I have more time for myself and for others. Properly maintaining two vehicles was surprisingly time consuming. I had saved a lot in gas, but spent more on insurance, repairs, etc. so financially it was more or less a wash. I also worried about things like a branch knocking out a window or worrying that I wasn't going to use up my tires soon enough before they dry-rotted. The less mental and emotional energy I spent on my inanimate objects allowed me to invest that into things that mattered like my friends and such.

We look forward to future updates if you feel up for it. Even if your changes don't work out like you want, please let us know.