What's worse?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
masterplumber said:
Emergen C is a great electrolyte replacer. Since it's powdered and and shelf stable I always keep a box in the trailer. When I'm someplace like RTR with lots of people around I drink a dose daily just to stave off illness.

How does it mix with cold beer?

Just in case anyone reads this later and wonders how long it takes to recover, this is what happened / is going on:

• 1st day and night - described
  • 2nd day and night - could barely move, very weak, didn't eat all day, drank very little
  • 3rd day (today) - felt much better in the morning, started drinking more, tried to force myself to eat a sandwich at lunch -- failed.  Finally ate a couple of bowls of soup for supper.  My stomach wasn't crazy about it, but didn't protest too much.  Overdid the work as I was feeling better.  Exhausted myself well before 6pm.
  • Hoping for more energy and a normal day tomorrow -- lots of work to do.
Vagabound

I've never had the misfortune of enduring a full-blown food poisoning episode like you went through. I don't eat out much, so the risk is minimal. When I do eat bad food (like those tasty morel mushrooms next to the trail), my stomach rejects it quickly and emphatically, normally within fifteen minutes.

My bestest buddy has gluten sensitivity, and gets violently ill if he eats wheat bread or other gluten foods. Many people find they have this, especially those of Irish descent. It used to be very underdiagnosed, leading some to think they got food poisoning. It can suddenly develop later in life, as it did for my buddy.

LeeRevell said:
My bestest buddy has gluten sensitivity, and gets violently ill if he eats wheat bread or other gluten foods.  Many people find they have this, especially those of Irish descent.  It used to be very underdiagnosed, leading some to think they got food poisoning.  It can suddenly develop later in life, as it did for my buddy.

Something to remain aware of for sure.  And that would really stink, because in my case, I've been a life-long wheat bread guy.  That said, I wouldn't know a gluten if it came up and bit me on the leg. 

Vagabound

Anxiety can also cause such intestinal upsets. People with PTSD forced into an anxiety-ridden (to them) situation often experience "dumping".

As for food... my sister in her early medical days tested foods at Jackson in Miami. The rotisseried chicken was always full of botulism etc. Nowdays they say they have figured that out and worked around it. I don't buy it. (Literally and figuratively.)

I have to be very careful about what I eat and when (if I'm upset, eating doesn't work.) With my allergies, and yes a gluten intolerance too now (I suspect the plant manipulation for the GMOd market) which is worse than years ago, it just isn't worth it.

I have learned to "embrace the hunger" and can be quite pleased with myself if I do say so! ;)

However bad those scenarios are in the OP... try being LIVE on the airwaves of radio when your station manager comes in behind you, zips down his pants and takes a dump in the trashcan! :O

I've been an RN for 25 years. I used to do telephone triage and work as a telephone nurse for man healthy insurance companies. The biggest restaurant offenders for when a patient or a family member with food poisoning would call in were: Taco Smell, Jerk in the Box and a cheap buffet steakhouse -the name has momentarily escaped my mind.

Another hint: anything teriyaki is often old meat, almost turned bad enough to throw in the trash. Prior to becoming a nurse, I had worked in plenty of restaurants. We used to say "you can teriyaki sh*t and it would taste good".

'Nuff said