Lazy Daze class C

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since Bob (in his opinion) thought Lazy Daze was the best built for a class C, I've been reading up on them. They sound really nice especially the only way to get a new one is for them to build you one. With that being said after pricing them I'm well aware I need to look for used ones lol but I'm looking for Chevy and they've been hard to find, not only that but they all seem to be out west. So I was wondering since I live in KY and would have to fly to get it and don't want to buy without seeing it (because I'd want a mechanic to check it all first) I'm sure I'm not the only person out here looking for something they want that is not close by, so what do people do in this circumstance? Any comments and suggestions would be well appreciated. Thank You :)

I bought a vehicle long distance once. I bought a round trip ticket in case it didn't work out. When it did, I drove it home after having all the fluids changed. I figured out the ticket was part of the purchase price to get exactly what I wanted and to not have to settle for something less. When I bought the van, it took almost a year to find it and it turned up in my backyard so to speak, only 14 miles away.

rvservicereviews.com lists rv mechanics by state. You can search by zip code, etc. The reviews are written by RVers. It's a great resource for finding a reputable mechanic. I'm sure some are mobile. Call and ask.
http://rvservicereviews.com/

Also, we have our own referral list, on the forum. It's short, but growing
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=58

The Lazy Daze Forum might have a for sale section. But you have to register to see posts
http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php

How many different RV's have you actually looked at thus far?
Besides Bob liking them, what is the main reason you want one of this brand?
Layout?
Build quality?
Gadgets?
Have you made a punch list of what you want inside and what size you want?
How used do you mean?
As in, what price range are you looking at?

From buying quite a few vehicles long distance (4-8 hour road trips), you have to have the mindset that if you don't like it, you can walk (drive) away with no guilt, which we have done several times. Do your research on other class C RVs, and take a look at some that are more local.

B and C said:
I bought a vehicle long distance once.  I bought a round trip ticket in case it didn't work out.  When it did, I drove it home after having all the fluids changed.  I figured out the ticket was part of the purchase price to get exactly what I wanted and to not have to settle for something less.  When I bought the van, it took almost a year to find it and it turned up in my backyard so to speak, only 14 miles away.

Thank you B and C  :)

cyndi said:
rvservicereviews.com lists rv mechanics by state. You can search by zip code, etc. The reviews are written by RVers. It's a great resource for finding a reputable mechanic. I'm sure some are mobile. Call and ask.
http://rvservicereviews.com/

Also, we have our own referral list, on the forum. It's short, but growing
https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=58

The Lazy Daze Forum might have a for sale section. But you have to register to see posts
http://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php

Awesome!! Thank You cyndi  :)

JD GUMBEE said:
How many different RV's have you actually looked at thus far?
Yes I have been looking for over a year and decided no class C after hearing they're not made well, and I follow several Nomads with class C's and they talk about them. I wanted a small class C because they're roomier than a van ...which I can't build out, would have to hire a carpenter, want running water since I'm older I don't have the strength to carry 5-6 gal jugs of water, not going to deal with the sewer part of it (bucket for me) with that being said I've been looking for Roadtrek class B which I still haven't crossed of my list. So when I heard Bob mention the name I started looking & reading up on them. I've got to admit I love their full showers. I will be a single woman traveler so of course I'm looking for dependability & want RV driving for safety. For the money part I have excellent credit and out of debt but don't want to go to far in because I want it paid for quickly don't want to be in debt while out traveling. The class C (24 ft) also sounded it better because I may go ahead and live in it while trying to finish out my last 2 years in a job that I Hate, I would have some pension but not my SS. So living in it now would be much more comfortable while working instead of the Roadtrek, but I think the Roadtrek would be easier on the road since it's smaller. I'm always up for options since I still have time. Thank You JD GUMBEE for everything you brought up, I'm not going in blindsided since I still have a job and a place to live. With my car being paid for in May, it gives me the opportunity to park the RV (during the week) and drive to work. I also still have my 2 cats (older) and think they would be happier with more room that a class C provides. Again Thank You for you input :)

Thank you B and C I appreciate the input, without me being mechanically inclined I want a mechanic to check it out or I hear there's RV guys out there that can check everything, which is what I would want. Just not sure how to go about it?

Thank you B and C, I appreciate the input, without me being mechanically inclined I want a mechanic to check it out or I hear there's RV guys out there that can check everything, which is what I would want. Just not sure how to go about it?

Don’t discount all the class Cs. or Class B plusses. I have a 2002 Dynamax which is very well built. They eventually sold out to Fleetwood I believe so the quality has probably slipped along with it.

At only 23 feet, I can dance in my shower and have a larger counter space in my kitchen than any of the 40 foot RVs I’ve been in. I have solid oak cabinets and a really big closet.

Born free is another brand that has quality RVs. You can also check Leisure Travel Vans.

All these brands would have been expensive when new.

I found my rv on line at PPL motorhomes. They have a very large inventory of used RVs and are in Texas. I looked up a mechanic in that area and paid (I think) about $200 for him to go over and check it out. He spent a good two hours checking all the mechanical systems which were good.

I had someone drive me down there (from Kentucky) and I bought it.

What part of KY are you in?

Hi Cammalu, I'm Florence KY and you? I know I want a Chevy engine,
American made would be cheaper and easier fixes, about everyone I watch says that. I also want to keep it in line with a lower price, I don't want to owe alot if any when I'm the road :)

They all wear out.
Anything with a non metal roof is subject to fatigue and leaks.
The water leaks kill them more than anything else.
You are close enough to Richmond VA to seriously look in that area.
TONS of nice units with low miles in like-new condition are within 90 days of coming up. (spring)
Could be one of those coming up.
Do you have the national Craigs List search tool linked on your PC?

You said Chevy...good idea! In case someone tries talking you into "GREAT MPG and maneuverability" Fiat/Ram Promaster based units, remember this: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=34728

;)

Florence is about 3 hours from me (when I’m there). We are outside of a little podunk town called Beaver Dam.

We are in Quartzsite and around for the winter.

Omg that link was great to read!! So a Roadtrek Chevy is the best bang for my buck so to speak ;) Thank you so much for sharing that it helps so much having this kind of information since I'm a newbie but a Wannabee Lol!! What's your records show for Roadtrek Chevy's if you don't mind me asking? Thanks JD Gumbee

I do not share the opinions of one brand being significantly better than another.
It either has what you want...or it does not.
There is no magic underneath one brand over another.
They all use the same stuff inside and the builds are much more subtle in long term reliability than people think.
Same wire.
Same plumbing pipe.
Same cheesy plastic sewer hardware.
Same holding tanks...straps...pumps/drains/valves.

There are differences, but you would be much better off buying a "cheaper" newer unit than a "high quality" aged one thinking its a better deal due to quality.

Time, water and dry rot are the biggest enemies for a non-mechanic/non-RV tech.
Every time you pay to have it fixed, bring another 500-1,000 with you. It adds up VERY fast.

All that said, I do not have Roadtrek info to share. The only RV's I have info on are bloodmobiles/bookmobile type stuff and would have little to do with a unit this small.

The thing to remember is, a GM chassis with any of the V8 engines from 2002-ish right up to 2012...maybe 2015...are your best bet for true trouble free longevity. Even these will bite you with a coil pack or alternator, like any other truck. They do not blow plugs out of the head while driving on the highway. They don't waste chain tensioners with poor designs @ 100,000 miles, either. Get the 3500 and a GM will rarely pop a transmission if you keep good fluid in it.
Most of the units I see in the data have a couple minor warranty QC issues...then they get oil/brakes/tires and a serpentine every 5 years, till they reach 250,000 miles. Some pop a rear end and trannies do happen, but when flushed @ 100K intervals using good trans juice, this is VERY rare. (...and they beat the snot of these vans in the delivery services. No mercy...hammer down all the time. You see the driver in the brake replacements. Some drivers have one set in 200,000 miles. Others ruin a set every 35K...the 35K brake job units are the ones who pop a trans most often. After a while, it becomes obvious why.)

Synthetic oil, letting the thing warm for 15 minutes before driving it (especially after letting it sit for two weeks) and doing an "idle down" when coming off the highway can have a huge impact on life span. Go EASY for the last mile or two before exiting the highway. Let it sit and idle for 90 seconds before getting fuel. Shutting a highway use hot engine without a cool down is a recipe for less life. Flooring it is fine...letting it "eat" and using 3/4 throttle is actually better for it now and then than babying it. They are made to work and bringing the temps up keeps things cleaner, evaps the water/condensation on the engine...gets that cat nice and clean also...but only once it has run for a while.

(Get the layout you really want, is my advice...and don't run scared because of opinions on the net. There are no magic Mennonites/Amish waving Harry Potter wands over certain brands that make them last twenty years longer trouble free than the rest. Thats a fact. Glue, sawdust and plastic are what builds them all in one way or another.
If you go with a small unit, do so because it is what you really want, Not because you are running scared of problems in a normal class C. They all have roofs that leak eventually. Even the high top camper vans crack/leak in the fullness of time, sun and weather.)

I just bought a 2016 22 foot Winnebago minnie winnie.
Sure is nice having a toilet and hot water shower from time to time, and nothing comes free by the way.

A Lazy Daze may not be built by Mennonites/Amish, but they are old fashioned. One piece aluminum roof that has never leaked on me in 18 years of ownership. Never had a slide out problem because the company realizes that slide outs can cause reliability problems.

Disagree with posts along the line of, They are all the same built to the same standards.