Lazy Daze class C

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gchristi1 said:
A Lazy Daze may not be built by Mennonites/Amish, but they are old fashioned. One piece aluminum roof that has never leaked on me in 18 years of ownership.
Disagree with posts along the line of, They are all the same built to the same standards.

Ever see one of those "super roofs" split like a cooked hot dog and ruin the entire unit in one week during winter weather?
I have. They have issues too.

No one said they were built to the exact same standards. But they don't use components head and shoulders above the rest...Some people think a 12 year old Mercedes with 120,000 makes a better car buy for the same money than a brand new Ford or Chevy, too. "They are built so much better, they last a MILLION MILES..."
Baloney.

Most of the costly problems are not roof, window (if maintained properly...especially keeping it away from snow/ice AMAP) or siding coming off. Doors falling off...it's valves, fridges, running gear issues, electrical gremlins, tank leaks, toilet seals, tank gauge malfunctions through-roof seals...etc. Your unit is using the same same as a Winnebago in nearly every one of these areas...and will fail just as often.

Our 2002 Four Winds is serving us really well (2001 E450 Chassis with a Ford Triton V10... a bit of a gas guzzler, but show me a 29 ft Class C that isn't! ;) ).

I just found out we need to move in 6 weeks. Was couch surfing at my sons apt while I figure out what to do as far as a rig and living.

Either start looking really hard for a cheap class C or I put my stuff in storage again and move back in the Element. I am getting a bit old for the cramped space of the E.

I wanted a really small Class C/ The lazy daze are cute. I can renovate the interior.
Need to make sure that the motor etc, wheels, tires need to be good.Many say Chevy if I look for something old, like late 1980's or 1990's
Really do not want to give up my Element.

I might be able to come up with $5K That said my credit is not so good and wondered if I can get an RV loan and get something a little newer or hope I find that unicorn class C that was well cared for and they are asking $3,000 - 5,000

I saw some class A that were cheap ...some old and well cared for but heck, huge..

I may end up getting a cargo trailer as long as it is under 1000 pounds but hate towing, parking and turning around.Have not found a fiberglass trailer that i can afford. All I can tow with the Element is about 1500 pounds. I am in Los Angeles now and need to work some more so that is an issue with a trailer. I know tons of safe places to park an RV.

Have not found a fiberglass trailer that i can afford. All I can tow with the Element is about 1500 pounds.

Hope the OP is having luck in her search.
Thanks for all the good info!

To Element Gypsy: A used Class C could be a good investment if you can put some sweat equity into it and the best news is that you might even be able to flat tow your Honda Element behind such a rig if you wanted to (depending on the model year). But here's maybe another idea since you love your Element and want a less cramped camping experience:

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/element-camper/ecc-camper-package.html

Thanks C cat

Those ursa minors are cool, but still too small.
I am searching for all kinds of things...

I do not want to give up my Element. so with tight funds it will be a search but I will find something good. I am in CA so that is a plus as far as rust and water damage goes.

little skoolies, the small class C's (chevy engine?) and vintage travel trailers.... something will come up.

Looked at a school bus today.$ 3 K... Vandura gas...too bad it had a leaking front seal,(no oil on the ground but ah yeah, squeeking belt, no heat, and too much play in the steering wheel, also no service records...geesh..the man claimed he didn't know anything about the oil on the tie rod right below the seal....then said he taught his son about mechanics.

I am not a noob as far as vehicles go.. I must have had at least 14 or more cars/trucks in my life...

wish me luck and send the van dwelling vehicle goddesses my way to for my vehicle to find me...she's out there somewhere..

saw a few cute old canned ham types and a few are under 1500 pounds.
there is one that needs renovation up by SF.

I would love a project.

best Elle

That oil is MUCH more likely to have come from a leaking power steering pump.
When worn...that is riiiiight where it shows itself.
Front seals on the Chevy V8's are not super common. (Or even the Fords or Mopars for that matter.)
Power steering pumps...and if loose, the box maybe...ARE common.
You will not find a ready for road trouble free vehicle for 3K unless you hit vehicle lotto.
PS
The most common reason for loose steering feel is remedied for less than $50.
If that is all you found wrong, I would have someone move it back and forth, to see what is "jumping" and causing the loose feel.
Price adjusted with all other things checking out nicely, you may have leverage.

Hi Element Gypsy, I just wanted to share a link with you since I know the feeling of having to be particular due to monies. Like you said though being out West is much easier than being East!! It's like if they have an RV they ain't selling because they probably have to go back west to pick it up!! Lol

https://www.facebook.com/groups/182...d=1553480702679740&notif_t=group_r2j_approved

Good Luck to you, I'm sure you'll find what you need when the time is right, just like me ;) whenever that day is Lol

sparkinprogress said:
Since Bob (in his opinion) thought Lazy Daze was the best built for a class C, I've been reading up on them. They sound really nice especially the only way to get a new one is for them to build you one. With that being said after pricing them I'm well aware I need to look for used ones lol but I'm looking for Chevy and they've been hard to find, not only that but they all seem to be out west. So I was wondering since I live in KY and would have to fly to get it and don't want to buy without seeing it (because I'd want a mechanic to check it all first) I'm sure I'm not the only person out here looking for something they want that is not close by, so what do people do in this circumstance? Any comments and suggestions would be well appreciated. Thank You :)

i regretfully sold my 1986 Vanagon on Ebay many years ago and it worked out well. i had a detailed add with pics and i reported all known issues (weren't many) and i picked the fellow up at the airport w the van. He dropped me off at home and drove back to N Carolina? i don't think he had any troubles but he never contacted me and i drove up to MN the next day. good luck with your search!
jim

Get a mechanic in the area of where it is to go over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Sparking, thought i'd also share a site for you that has plenty of Class C RV's including lazy days, new and used - 

https://www.pedatarvcenter.com/

Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for!