Laws on off road lights ??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpa pete

Reaction score
Read recently that several states had laws requiring covers for off road lights when on paved roads … does anyone have specifics and what states require covers.....I installed a 52 inch light bar on my 2001 ford high roof van.....HELP

I know from experience that California has such a law. California also has a law about how high the factory headlights can be and a whole sh!t load of other light laws.

if I remember correctly there is a patch work of laws throughout the states.

highdesertranger

When our state first outlawed them on the street I took them off but wire tied the plastic lens covers on the grill. After a while all the local cops got tired of being laughed at when I asked if it was illegal to display plastic covers. A week later I put the lights back on and never got pulled over, but I eventually forgot I had the covers on and melted them. Every state is different and dependent on local enforcement probably which makes it even more of a question unless you have state safety inspections.

https://law.justia.com/codes/california/2010/veh/24400-24411.html. See last sentence of last paragraph . I never seen it enforced, but I did once get a fix it ticket for not having a front license plate.

81b53bc0f1df4e0ff04da981ac84039b.jpg

There are a LOT of dudes running around with naked lights. But, you know, live free or die, you're not the boss of me, and all that stuff.