Late Night Humor

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
18679535d9700d7f642008ccc374ed20.jpg

ab2a017fc4bff28cf41f26206a98a00c.jpg

military-memes-12_13_16-600-16.jpg

The Special  Forces guy with the dog on his shoulder is carrying him because the shale they were on was cutting his pads.

Rob

Attachments

• 18679535d9700d7f642008ccc374ed20.jpg
    18679535d9700d7f642008ccc374ed20.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 55
  • ab2a017fc4bff28cf41f26206a98a00c.jpg
    ab2a017fc4bff28cf41f26206a98a00c.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 43
  • military-memes-12_13_16-600-16.jpg
    military-memes-12_13_16-600-16.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 60
Gunny, I love the pics. I could not dream of picking up Emma (our gsd) at my age but love our service folk who do.

From "The Far Side":

attachment.php

Dobi-O-Matic

Reminds me of the joke. How come blind men don"t parachute from airplanes? Cause it scares the @$&_( out of there dog.I HoboJoe

Have you heard of the Dyslexic Agnostic? Poor fellow spent his life wondering if there really was a DOG.

(Told to me by a very smart dyslexic lady...)

LeeRevell said:
Have you heard of the Dyslexic Agnostic?  Poor fellow spent his life wondering if there really was a DOG.

(Told to me by a very smart dyslexic lady...)

LOL. I heard it, Have you ever heard of the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? She was up all night wondering if there really was a dog. ;;)

Great joke!

Just because I have a safety switch on my .45 auto does not mean I'm not trained in its use. It just means I don't want it going off accidentally and hurting someone unintentionally. ;)

Chip

They are muzzled during parachute drops and other situations where the dog may react by biting. They are in fact highly trained.

Vet care and exams they are muzzled also.

Rob

I think it's for the protection of the business end of that weapon during landing??

Still, maybe not trained enough. I was once talking with the veterinarian from McChord AFB, and she said she kept a collection of labeled tennis balls in the exam area, one for every dog on the base. Before she even approached a dog, she would toss him his ball, and he would keep it clamped in his jaws during the exam. And that was with the handler present.

And, many of the dogs they use are Belgian Malinois -- one of the smartest breeds in existence. A dog can be taught more than one thousand commands; I suspect that it isn't a case of can't be trained, but the military (and police depts) just don't want to 'waste' the time. Just my opinion, but I've also owned three Belgians in the last 40 years.

I am not a trainer nor was I a dog handler. There were Military Working Dogs on most of the Duty Stations I was at. Looking at several pictures I see dogs being examined without a muzzle. The animals that were being treated for broken bones or that required a lot of handling were muzzled. 

I really doubt it is because of a lack of training. ALL military dogs are trained at Lackland Air Force Base. There may be further training, such as working with Special Forces, that I don't know.

http://olive-drab.com/od_wardogs_ltd.php

As I said, I was not a handler or in Vet Services. Some are muzzled , some not.

Hard to untrain an instinct. The dogs are not bread to lick people. They don't take and breed two docile animals and hope the pups might learn to be aggressive.
I was once on a long drive and came across a very large horse in a farm yard. I pulled over to take a brake and admire the animal. The rancher came out and asked if I needed help. I explained what I was up to. We chatted for a spell. I asked him why such large draft horses were gentle giants. He said that if one of them showed any sign of aggression, they would never breed that particular animal, so over many years they developed submissive traits.
Breed two non aggressive pit bulls and their pups will be lovers, Breed two aggressive pits, and now you have dangerous animals. That's how dog breeds get the traits that they have. Selective breeding. Breed two dogs that have the trait that you want, weather it be they are good mousers, good trackers, good pointers etc. I believe they muzzle the dogs so that instinct doesn't overpower training in certain circumstances, (Like the dog gets frightened or feels pain, like a thermometer shoved up their butt). You don't need a lot of encouragement to get most border collies interested in livestock. They know the game right from day one. If they show no interest, you don't breed them with another dog if you want a working herding animal.

Yes. and the ones that don't make the cut are humanly culled. OH NO, I mean "adopted".

ccbreder said:
Yes. and the ones that don't make the cut are humanly culled. OH NO, I mean "adopted".

Considering the market for puppies, sold or adopted is the most likely outcome; .... considering the treatment of far too many dogs when they've outgrown the "puppy" stage into adults/seniors, being culled might be the more humane choice --- just my opinion as someone that fostered/rehabilitated giant guardian breeds when dumped/released/abandoned for the past 2 decades.

Okay, back on track folks!

Thread is 'late night humor' not dog training of any kind.