Kreg Jig Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whit30

Reaction score
Want to get one of these kits When I start building some bed frames and shelves/cabinets in my Cargo trailer but there are several options available from $50-$150. I don’t plan to become a master woodworker but I need the minimum kit to conveniently accomplish this. I have a very small workbench, a few clamps, and folding sawhorses in my garage but no dedicated shop.

I’d appreciate some advice on which kit to get. Is it worth getting one that clamps to a workbench? Should I buy any of the accessories like clamps or will any old clamp from Lowe’s do? Anything else I should know?

I asked my fakebook folks if I could borrow one... I had it for over six months, until the guy called and suggested I go buy him a replacement... Lol!

After I returned his I went and got the small two hole kit. It came with a vise grip kinda clamp!

In my mind, for the money, get the kit with three holes at least. It comes with a better hold down system. Which you can screw down to a piece of ply for a really awesummmm system...

If you get the small one will certainly work, but the larger kits have work savers...

Either way, you will luv how the system works! Enjoy!

I got the little R3 portable one some time back and it's been wonderful. I already had a C clamp with me so it has everything I need and doesn't take up much space.

I got very good accuracy with this little one, I think it just takes longer to line things up versus the bigger ones. I wasn't worried that much about speed so the lower cost and smaller size was worth it for me.

I started with the two drill slot positions thingy. I didn't get Kreg Clamp. I used a 'c' clamp that I had. The tool works great. I later got the Kreg right angle clamp. That really helps hold pieces together. I made hundreds of joints. Wore one bit and bought another, then another. You really need to use the Kreg screws. I also found a set of long bar clamps help with assembly. I bought the tool that clamps to a work bench and my building time is very much improved. I recommend get that bench mount from the start. One trick is the ends of the lumber must be accurately 90*. I use my power mitering saw.

After watching some tubes and reading your comments, I think I’ll spring for the 99.99 kit and prob get a corner clamp as well. Thanks all.

Due to the high price of tools in Canada I bought the single Kreg Jr set.

I had no regrets whatsover.

While it only allows you to drill 1 hole at a time, I'd say 99.9% of my entire build needed no more than one hole next to each other anyways.

The 2 hole jig works well for fine furniture building but for putting together the interior of my van I needed to space the holes where I needed them, not where the jig manufacturer figured I would... :D 

I used a simple c-Clamp to hold the jig to the wood and a couple of spring clamps to hold the wood to the 2'x4' table I was using as a work bench in the driveway of the apartment I lived in.

If you're going to be working in a real workshop with a real workbench then maybe it's worthwhile springing for the bigger kit but for me it worked just fine. Remember though that I built the entire interior of Lady Arabella with nothing more than hand tools and a jigsaw and drill.

Yes, a corner clamp is a wonderful addition to the tool repertoire. Couldn't have built my drawers without it.

I bought the masterpack, but I use it for work also. Nice thing about it is it comes with a large assortment of screws etc already sorted. Along with extra drivers, bits, clamps, etc. I really like it as everything is ready to go and all organized. That said, I think you can probably accomplish an entire van build with just the basic 2 hole jig, a clamp, driver, and bit. along with a box of one size screws as long as you stick to one thickness of wood.

I have the jr. If you start the drill bit before you plunge it in it doesn't walk around.

I just used my K4 Kreg today and I'm quite pleased with the results. I am imagining myself making all kinds of stuff with this tool