Know what this kind of cap is called??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...

image upload
Anyone know what this cap is called?
Slang term is "commercial box?" "Tool cap?"
If you were searching for this specific type of cap, what would you ask the guy for?
I have to be seeking the wrong thing. Have not come up with one of them to fit a '97 Ford 8 ft bed.
Anyone used one of these? Ideas on what this one would be worth? Anyone sleeping in one now or in the past?

Looks similar to the A.R.E. DCU truck toppers.

https://www.4are.com/product/commercial_aluminum/?cp=dcu

I like the aluminum truck caps because it gives you lots of options. Roof racks, tool boxes, choice of doors, easy to insulate and modify, add shelves, etc. Not as 'pretty' as the smooth fiberglass but that didn't matter to me!

I ordered mine without tool boxes to have maximum room inside...

I added a bed and a heater, plus storage for misc items, and 2 solar panels to the roof rack.

IMG_20180306_184449 (Small).jpgIMG_20180307_085718 (Small).jpg IMG_20180325_201811 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180306_184449 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180306_184449 (Small).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180307_085718 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180307_085718 (Small).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20180325_201811 (Small).jpg
    IMG_20180325_201811 (Small).jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 24
Local retiree near me just bought a TT to come out West with and cannot bend over easily.
The storage bins on the TT are 100% useless to him.
I thought one of these might work out, since the hose/dump/jack stand hardware/plugs cords... could all be stored in the easy to access doors.
I LIKE your height TX2!!
Wonder if a wing on top of yours would improve MPG for him?
Hmmmm...

Thanks folks!

(These are pricey suckers...)

JD he can install pull out trays in the storage bins. I’ve seen those and they seem to work very well. Probably isn’t going to be cheap

JD GUMBEE said:
I thought one of these might work out, since the hose/dump/jack stand hardware/plugs cords... could all be stored in the easy to access doors.

Or he might want a contractor type pull-out drawer system in the back of the pickup bed, with room on top of the drawer unit for a generator, water jugs, whatever.

There are many different brands, here's one:

https://realtruck.com/p/decked-truc...MIoa_FgIaj4QIVC1YMCh1dNwvMEAQYASABEgI5evD_BwE

Access to the full length of the drawers is restricted when a travel trailer is hooked up. That might be a consideration.

Cammalu said:
JD he can install pull out trays in the storage bins.   I’ve seen those and they seem to work very well. Probably isn’t going to be cheap
Could be something for the future.
They have some runners for drawers that look like they can be used for this.
Thanks for the suggestion!

tx2sturgis said:
Or he might want a contractor type pull-out drawer system in the back of the pickup bed, with room on top of the drawer unit for a generator, water jugs, whatever.
He was thinking of running for a few days leaving the TT at LTVA and heading up to AK for a while, only using the truck itself.
Not sure how that would work out for him...but if I were working out of a pickup every day, those would be awesome.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Looking at peoples posts asking for stealth scenarios, I cannot help but post this picture.
Talk about a good stealth setup for a Taco...no?
Good MPG, rock-reliability history...
I wonder how the inside of this compares with a mini-van? (Especially if it had no outer doors, like yours.)

Several times over the last year, I've had complete strangers walk up at gas stations, parking lots, wherever, and ask what kind of work I do, while looking over the pickup/topper combo. Especially when I was pulling my white cargo trailer.

Even with reflectix in the topper windows and a little dog with me, it does not look like something that is being 'lived in' or slept in. The 'raper van' comments (and glares and stares from parents at city parks) that I used to get in my white van, were absent.

It just looks like something a 'working man' is using for work. 

Even though it has bit less interior volume than the typical domestic van, it is more 'usable', since you dont have a side door, and that area can be used for placing or mounting things. The front wall and both sides can be used for shelving, a bed, small cabinets, or whatever.

You can special order these A.R.E DCU toppers in a much taller version, with enough room to stand up, if that is a neccessity.

JD you might want to tell whoever that you just can't "leave" something at the LTVA's they are not year around. in the off season the 2 week rule is in effect. highdesertranger

Commercial Truck Caps is generic term.

Manufacturers of heavy duty include Reading, Knapheide and others.  Can be made from Aluminum, Fiberglass or Steel. Many different sizes, shapes, weights and duty ratings.

tx2sturgis said:
Several times over the last year, I've had complete strangers walk up at gas stations, parking lots, wherever, and ask what kind of work I do, while looking over the pickup/topper combo. Especially when I was pulling my white cargo trailer.

Even with reflectix in the topper windows and a little dog with me, it does not look like something that is being 'lived in' or slept in. The 'raper van' comments (and glares and stares from parents at city parks) that I used to get in my white van, were absent.

It just looks like something a 'working man' is using for work. 

Even though it has bit less interior volume than the typical domestic van, it is more 'usable', since you dont have a side door, and that area can be used for placing or mounting things. The front wall and both sides can be used for shelving, a bed, small cabinets, or whatever.

You can special order these A.R.E DCU toppers in a much taller version, with enough room to stand up, if that is a neccessity.

is that your Titan in the pictures?  I'm driving a 2017 Titan S crew cab.  Very happy with it after 2 yrs and 50K miles.

Yep, Titan XD. Base model, single cab.

8 foot bed...lots of room back there, the cab is a bit tight, but still very usable.