Knots and rope work?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
To tie two similar sized lines together I tie two overhand knots in opposite directions one in each line then pull tight. This is one on my keys where I also made a loop by passing one end back through the knot.

Guy
Fishermans Bend, nice.  You can also tie it doubled.

My knot library. I can't resist picking them up for a couple bucks on the used market. Some were passed down from my father.

Same for rope, cordage, twine, string...thread.

Guy

Attachments

• P1120230.JPG
    P1120230.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 7
gsfish said:
My knot library. I can't resist picking them up for a couple bucks on the used market.
That's a nice collection.  I have Smith's Arts of the Sailor.  On a parrallel topic I would recommend Cruising Worlds Workbench.  It's meant for boats, but the overlap is obvious.  I have way to many books.  I borrow knot books from libraries, learn what I can and return them.

I have my Boy Scout Knot Manual in the drawer yet.   When I did USCG Boating Skills and Seamanship I got into the Marlinspike Seamanship thing for awhile.  But if you don't use this stuff on a regular basis you tend to forget the more advanced stuff.  Or if you suddenly have need of how to tie the know for the situation you won't remember how to do it.  Yet remember the knot to use.  LOL

[img=187x300]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/sM4AAOSwcDdb-o0R/s-l300.jpg[/img]

Last time I looked at it was when the 50 Shades book was all the discussion and it was to answer someone's question on a foum.

landyachtman said:
 if you don't use this stuff on a regular basis you tend to forget the more advanced stuff.  Or if you suddenly have need of how to tie the know for the situation you won't remember how to do it.  Yet remember the knot to use.  LOL
I got beyond that problem.  I learned, practiced and used a lot of knots constantly for several years.  I've gone far beyond having knots in muscle memory.  I think knots. I still have to learn some of the complicated ones, like the Jury Mast Knot and the Spanish Bowline.  One of these day I'll learn splicing.  Or I could get a life. :D

I also know how to knit and crochet. Does that count as 'knot knowledge'?

Since you do all that stuff on a single continuous line, it should count.

Yes, some people would say no, but I say yes.  Knitting and crochet is net making with really tight holes.  The techniques you use give a perspective.  It helps to understand how things come together.

gizmotron said:
I have found these knots to be bomb proof:

But I find this one knot to be the most useful for camping:

Thanks for the video links.  All really great knots to know.  I especially love the Prusik loop. It's a game changer when you are able to add in an movable loop to a line or a stanchion (pole), that can also be removed without disturbing the line. It will hold under tension in either direction.  I have used it to make a curtains adjustable, raise and lower a objects tied to poles (such as a flag, or a stabilizer weight) , added in extra tie off points to the lines securing a tarped load and so much more. It is always nice to a hand full of paracord loops ready to tie into Prusiks for use around camp.  There are other tension hitches, the Midshipman's is a good example, but most of them only hold tension in one direction.   

The video demonstrates it tied in a loop, it can be tied to another rope or a pole.

The Trucker's Hitch isn't a true knot, it's a combination of knots that create mechanical advantage.  If you can do it from muscle memory you aren't just tying a knot you are dynamically employing knots as a tool, you're an operator.   There is so many different ways to tie the Trucker's hitch.  I have watched videos of it being demonstrated in Japan, Brazil, Mexico, Australia, The UK, Canada, USA (of course) and some places I can't even identify, so many different ways.  They all have their benefits and drawbacks, some are faster to tie, some are made to withstand a rollover crash.  Some people use their legs to tighten down rope before tying off.  A good rule for a truck set up, is always tie the anchor knot on the drivers side and do all the working on the passenger side, it minimizes your exposure to traffic when loading, unloading and (heaven forbid) making any adjustments.  It's not just for trucks loads and ridge lines, it can be used to pull things, even lift things.  Make sure when you lift something that you don't exceed the safety limit of your line.

Does anyone know the Marline Spike Hitch?  To say that it's the only knot you need to know is unfair.  I would say it is a knot everyone should know, and it's easy so why knot?

Here are some other resources for any one wanting to learn knots: 

In addition to a several really good knot videos this channel has all sorts of handy information for some one who wants to be able to DIY like a pro.

This guy knows how to tie everything, and demonstrates like an artist.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxfS18VYnZgg2rrJgzuX98w

Of course there are to more out there.  If anyone wants to share please post.

My go to knots are

Constrictor
Fisherman's Bend
Lark's Head
Tension
Beckett Hitch
Slip Knot
Overhand

If I cannot tie it using one of those knots, I will do a combination of those knots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

theinfamousj said:
You have a reasonable assortment of knots.  Knots go by so many names.  I have never heard of the tension knot.  I had to look it up.  What I found was the knot system called the truckers hitch.  Because it can be done so many different ways I don't really know how you tie it.  That's isn't important though, what matters is it works for you.  They say that if you can't tie good knots, tie lots of knots.  People can get into trouble doing that if they don't know what they are doing.  I imagine you have learned what works and what doesn't by now.  I'm surprised you didn't list the bowline, but if you got this far without it.  Who am I to judge?

I have never needed a bowlin when I could just the an overhand knot at the base of a bight. I gave the bowlin a fair trial but as I don't sail it simply never earned its place in my life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

theinfamousj said:
 taut line hitch.

holds better than a prusik.
  I used the taut line hitch for years, it's a good  friction hitch/adjustable loop.    I recently switched to the rolling hitch, it grips better.  The taut line hitch only grips in one direction, Prusiks will hold in both directions.  Properly done the Prusik grips just fine.  It's supposed to be tied with a smaller diameter line than the rope it attaches to.  This allows for more surface area to spread the friction.  Which is fine if you are using para cord on rope.  So far I haven't had any issues with Prusiks slipping in same size applications, but I will all ways add a extra turn if in doubt.  I used both knots for different things.  For adjustable anchor points in my truck, Prusik.  To hang a weight from a vertical post, Rolling hitch.

I use the bowline because doesn't tighten down.  When I tie a loop on the end of a dog leash or a tool lanyard I use a bowline.  I don't usually need a tightening loop, perhaps a occasional running bowline.  
If you ever decide you need a fixed loop you can tie a fisherman's loop, it's the fisherman's bend in a loop.  It's a strong loop, climbers and arborists use it all the time.  Just make sure you have the knots pulling together, not tugging apart.

As a child in Buffalo NY.....Dad was a "Sea Scout" on the Great Lakes....Later served a hitch in the Navy during WWII

...........I still have his Antler and steel "Fid"..........He tried to teach me ropework but I resisted !

I tie paracord knots, well, used to do it quite a bit making bracelets, monkeys fists with a nice tail to hang on to it when you need to umm.. "use" it. I carried a 3 legged easel that folds up nicely to Ireland when I went to work over there for a year and kept myself busy at night tying bracelets. The Irish loved them and I'd sell them for $3-$5 each, depending on how many colors were used, the kind of knot etc. I donate the money I make to no-kill animal shelters and sometimes I'll use it to replenish my cordage.

There's a place in Phoenix, AZ called Jimalax or Jimalex (they have a website) where you can order cord that's about half the size of paracord and makes nice looking bracelets, etc. They're a great couple of guys that run the place and they can weave their own cordage because of two GIANT machines their father brought over from Germany.

My 3 legged easel has been highly modified to makes things as fast as I can make them. I have a ruler marked on the drawing area. I use the bar that hold your pencils for holding brass 3/4 lop hooks to hold the cordage still. I drilled holes through the legs and inserted 1/2" copper tubing to hold whatever spools of cordage I was using that day.

I love hobbies like that but, I think the next thing I'm going to work on for when I go into my RV is caricature drawings. It's an easy setup and I've got another 3 legged easel (OK, I've got 3 of those, hard to pass up when I see them at yard sales) and I've got one that's a table top model..

Got a ton of sharpies and other types of markers, some great books and tons of videos on Youtube from some great artists.

I'd be happy setting up in a market place (Like Pikes Market in Seattle) or any kind of event where they allow folks to do things like that.

I used the taut line hitch for years, it's a good friction hitch/adjustable loop.
There are a lot of mentions of the taut line hitch here. Let me warn you off about that one. It fails at -30f (30 below zero Fahrenheit). I know this for sure. My mountaineering A-frame tent fell down on both ends, collapsing inward on itself as that knot froze so solid that it no longer gripped with its hitching mechanism. I had to get up and change the knot. I use my own preferred version of a truckers knot for that now. I take a slip knot as the synching loop, pull the hitch tight and close off the bite with two half hitches. You can use double rope for the two half hitches in the middle of a very long span of rope with several of these in the run. It allows you to use one long rope to synch down a load. It also allows you to go to just one knot in that string of synching points and tighten it individually.