Keeping mosquitoes out with windows cracked?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
Hello. 

I have heard heard if one sleeps without the windows at least a little cracked there is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning 

However when I cracked the windows down a little I get mosquitoes in the car..anyway to do this safely without spraying chemicals in the car ?

Thank You

Sofisintown is right.  Rigging up screens with mesh and magnets or hook & loop will allow air flow without bugs.  It's almost November, I doubt you want to crack the windows to cool off.  Vehicles are almost never completely air tight.  If you run your vehicle's vent fan for a few minutes on outside air setting you can get fresh air without bugs.  Just don't run it for too long, other wise you might not have enough power to start the engine in the morning.
Carbon monoxide CO is a by product of combustion, are you running your engine or burning something?  If you are really worried about that you can get a battery powered CO detector for van, (they aren't just for houses.)  Carbon dioxide CO2 is what we exhale (and what mosquitoes are attracted too).   I wouldn't worry about CO2 poisoning from having windows closed while sleeping in a van for eight hours.  If it was a serious risk people would be dying all the time.  
Good luck.
Citronella candles and incense help keep bugs away, but they burn oxygen and create CO so are best used outside.

Cool. This was on my mind when I woke up this morning. I'm in the middle of a van build and wanted to see if my two 12volt DC 5" computer fans are enough to clear out the condensation from breathing in cold weather. I have a Ford E-350 super Duty 12 passenger conversion going on. It has a nice long tilt out window right behind the driver seat.

It's two latches allows the window to pop out a little more than an inch. I was thinking of using rubber cement to loosely attach mosquito netting to the edges of the window and the frame. This way I would not have to go find the mosquito netting when I need it.

The tilt out window is located near the intake for the ducted venting system. So cold air from the outside would mix with warm humid air from the inside and be forced around and through the mechanical room at the back, then out past the false wall on the other side where an other tilt out window would be used to exhaust it.

It's just a guess. I don't think that two 5 inch computer fans move that much air. I will be able to turn them on or off independently.

There is no danger of coarbon monoxide poisoning from a car that is not running. It won't be generating any.
As far as mosquitoes, when I park near the water in Brooklyn I spray DEET on the area around the window I leave cracked. It's messy, and I clean it up the next day with a magic wipe.
My sister also gave me these herbal bracelet things with cedar and teat tree among other things. Looks kind of like those springy coiled elastic things people put on key rings. It's somewhat effective but didn't stop me from getting bit on my legs when I wear shorts.

The other approach that seems to work sometimes is just eating lots of garlic and spicy food.
I'm Cajun Creole, so that is often on the menu. But I go through spells where I am more into other kinds of food so my blood is more bland.

""It's almost November, I doubt you want to crack the windows to cool off. ""

It's Florida !

We have a sliding side screen door and screened window to the Garage........cross ventilation........

Hello friends, I’m sure many of you know about these window “stockings“. Here’s a link to some on Amazon. I use them all the time ,they’re great. You must be careful how you put them on the over the corner of the door they can catch and tear a little bit. But much better than cutting a piece of screen and using magnets and that kind of junk. The way these fit on I can put my windows up and down all I want and not move the screening.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXBYZYY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

An alternative to the window stocking (or home made versions of it) is to just slam a piece of netting between the door and door frame.

However, a possible problem with window netting or stockings is that they block some of the breeze you might have opened the window to get. I discovered this one summer when I was trying to keep the flies off me while napping with all the doors and windows open. I had draped no-see-um netting over me and I got hotter. No breeze reaching me under the netting. So you might need some help from a fan if you use netting on the windows.

Davsey85 said:
Hello. 

I have heard heard if one sleeps without the windows at least a little cracked there is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning 

However when I cracked the windows down a little I get mosquitoes in the car..anyway to do this safely without spraying chemicals in the car ?

Thank You

Yes, if you have something giving off [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]carbon monoxide in the vehicle there will be a risk if you don't have the windows open a bit. 

If you are getting [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]mosquitoes in the car with the window open a crack you can cover the opening with [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]mosquito netting or normal house screening[/font][/font]

Noida why this forum changes font/size randomly when typing.....[/font]

Ripper238 said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Noida why this forum changes font/size randomly when typing.....[/font]
There is text style meta data that gets picked up when you use copy & paste. 

I take text and dump it into Notepad, a simple text program that strips out all that style meta data. Then I re copy it before using it here.

I had the same issue so I found the below item on Amazon for $22.00. You roll the window down and slip these over like a sock on your foot. It is not water proof so you have to roll up your windows if it rains. Used it several times and they work great.

XXL-Size/ Car Window Sun Shades for SUVs up to 46-51" x 23-25" for Side Windows Sun Protection for Baby. Window Socks (2-Pack)

Ok, I will admit that Nature Lover's talking about window socks gave me the idea.
So I checked women's hosiery... do you know that these stuff comes in sizes like 7X?
So for $11 or thereabouts you can get one of these, and cut it in two.
Then you can stretch one leg over the window... Darn, over the whole door!
This size can fit in it ten 20- pound hams, so it will be nice and loose over a car door. AND they come in different colors, so you can match it with your car for extra ambience!

I'l get one to try it!
https://www.amazon.com/Opaque-Tights-Comfortable-Footed-Lissele/dp/B08WZGPWTW/ref=sr_1_6?

Thwre is a video on on easy DIY window screens on the cheaprvliving youtube.

I have swivel windows in the back of my van, and used the DEET spray on glass trick during my time in the buggy North woods last summer. It works well when the skeeters are few and lazy. When they are crazy with blood fever on those sweltering "heat dome" nights, DEET anywhere barely dissuades them. The roof of my van is dotted with bloodstains from one such night near Lake Ontario.