Just Starting Out

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I thought it was time to move it from the intro section. I have a 2014 Tundra extended cab 4X4. The bed is about 6'8" long and close to six feet across. ((appx 69" by 81")) It has the 4.6 liter engine and smaller rear. I'm just looking to try this out, try to work with what I have, keep it simple as others have suggested. This is my daily driver and I plan on keeping it that way. Also as stealth as possible.

-I'm looking for a cap, I think the 4 or 6 inch rise is a must. Already passing on really nice caps that color match, and are almost new for half the price of new without the rise. The right utility cap would be a consideration as well. Checking out Craigslist and will also hit E bay.

-A high quality folding cot and bedding.

-Camp Stove, water storage, Good cooler etc.  I'll figure out how to secure storage, but would like everything to be removable for now.     

I don't expect a ton of suggestions being there is soo much info out there that I have access to, but if you've started out the same as me and have any additional experience I'd appreciate it !!!

Thanks,
Joe

Being able to sit upright in the bed comfortably is a big plus. I built a platform even with the wheel wells for a two person bed and used sliding under bed plastic shoe containers for storage under the platform. I could store tons of stuff but had no area to sit normally. Think of sitting in a chair as opposed to sitting on the floor. I think a 28" wide bed that you could sit on with a raised topper would be much better, maybe even fit a beach folding chair in the isle.

For me the biggest function is side opening windows. I am not able to sit up in mine and it is a pain in inclement weather, but otherwise it works awesome. I have a bedroll on one half and use the other half as permanent storage, including a 12v Freezer. I need to unpack to sleep, which makes me non-stealthy. How much stuff you have will greatly effect this and storage under a cot with a raised cap will help quite a bit.

Living outside with a good camp chair and kitchen is preferable unless the weather is bad.

You're confirming how much the raised roof means. I had an A.R.E on my 95 Ram, it was raised, (4/6 inches) with sliding screened Windows, and had the standard size window in the back. I remember it being fairly comfortable to sit in. I'm going to bide my time until the right one comes up for sale... Guy on craigslist just came down to 950 negotiable. I'd be on that if it wasn't standard height but I'd only end up regretting it.

Something else you might consider is raising a standard topper by building up the bed sides by standing a 2"x 8' lumber on edge and mounting the standard topper to it. That way you could even use toppers not meant for your truck, sort of a wooden adaptor. Yes I'm from eastern Kentucky where "Poor people have poor ways." But it works and doesn't cost much to see exactly what fits your needs. I see old toppers for cheap all the time on craig's list.

What a find. At only 800 lbs. (dry) and will sell equip. 12,000, or just the shell, looking for a manufacturer. I like how much light it lets in

bullfrog said:
Something else you might consider is raising a standard topper by building up the bed sides by standing a 2"x 8' lumber on edge and mounting the standard topper to it.  That way you could even use toppers not meant for your truck, sort of a wooden adaptor.  Yes I'm from eastern Kentucky where "Poor people have poor ways."  But it works and doesn't cost much to see exactly what fits your needs.  I see old toppers for cheap all the time on craig's list.

Would metal tubing work in place of the heavy 2x8s? Wood is so heavy, is there an equal substitute?

Depending on the weight of the camper 2" foam with PMF (see tiny trailers forum) could work using long bolts and tubing for spacers through the foam.

Latest posts