Just A Test Drive - Sleeping Without Being Bothered

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SinnTek

Reaction score
So, I recently decided I want to try this lifestyle. I am only 27 and to a lot of people that is young and to some that is old. To me that is the perfect time to just drop everything and start over.

I never thought I would still be working the same dead end job. I never thought I would still be living on the bare minimum and I feel that even living in my van with a payment of 300 a month and my insurance at 85$ a month, I could work at McDonalds part time with my girlfriend as well working and afford the van and any gas mileage we may need and eventually get where I want to be.

Anyways, last night I tested out my cargo van for the very first time. There is no insulation yet, there is no bed yet, just me and a beanbag chair...

I made it through the entirety of the night at the local 24 hour gym without being bothered once. I even took it upon myself to let the gym know I was going to be testing out my new RV in their parking lot. I guess they thought it would be an actual RV as they never once came looking for me or called me back.

The night was great and everything went through no problems.

I'll be updating this thread with my adventure. The goal is to eventually own a small home in the mountains or in a tropical environment outright.

Cool. To me a good bed and heat make all the difference in being comfortable in a van.

Also, its essential to block out any light people may notice when looking at your van. They see you in there then they call the cops. I learned that the hard way.

Just an update on where I am so far with the van....

As you can see I decided to go with Reflectix aka Aluminum bubble wrap for the first layer of insulation. I kept reading everywhere that this was a good first layer if done right.

Anyyyyyyways....

The entire back end of the van is now covered in the stuff. It is exactly 1 1/4 inch away from the surface of the van and I plan on using styrofoam on top of it and then bubble wrap *regular old bubble wrap. pop pop.* and covering that with an additional layer of styrofoam to keep out any unwanted noise / heat.

Once that is done, I plan on using shag carpet on the flooring of the van and industrial carpet... the black stuff... on the sides of the van. I know a lot of people say they have issues with this but I feel like using wood would have more of an issue of mold / mildew and heat.

Industrial carpet is the really flat black one that looks similar to warehouse flooring. Not really a fan of the wood idea.

Then its on to making the bed and living area!

Install Update :

Installed Insulation, the entirety of the van is now insulated with styrofoam and reflectix. The proper way as according to each manufacturers recommendations.

Installed tile flooring throughout the entirety of the back of the van. Mmmmm slip and slide in yo socks!

Installed a hippy tapestry... because why not...

0% Tinted the back windows of the van.

Planned Upgrades :

Bed around the wheel well. (Able to fit a full size but I am unsure about how to build the frame as of yet.)

Back wall to create privacy.

So almost done with the initial setups. Next up is installing the heater and solar panels.

good to hear that your test run was a success! :D

however, (and I think many will agree with me on this)...that shag carpet is not a good way to go.

the carpet will retain any moisture. (rain water from your boots & clothes, anything that gets spilled, and even just moisture in the air.) Even by leaving the doors open on a warm day, it'll still hold that moisture, as it cannot breathe.
Because of this...you're going to have serious mold issues (not healthy to breathe), and your van will have a constant 'funky' musty smell.

a treated wood floor will not do this, and will not retain any moisture. It's also so much easier to clean as you simply sweep out any dirt, and spills are simply wiped up too.

If you like the carpet idea for the warmth and 'fuzzyness' of it, then I'd put a wood floor in, (doesn't have to be a fancy one), and cut a chunk of shag carpet to size to put on top of it. That way, when the carpet get dirty, you just take it outside and shake it out, and you can leave it out in the sun where it'll dry out completely.

but, it's your van man...you do whatever makes you happy! :)

Patrick46 said:
good to hear that your test run was a success! :D

however, (and I think many will agree with me on this)...that shag carpet is not a good way to go.

the carpet will retain any moisture. (rain water from your boots & clothes, anything that gets spilled, and even just moisture in the air.) Even by leaving the doors open on a warm day, it'll still hold that moisture, as it cannot breathe.
Because of this...you're going to have serious mold issues (not healthy to breathe), and your van will have a constant 'funky' musty smell.

a treated wood floor will not do this, and will not retain any moisture. It's also so much easier to clean as you simply sweep out any dirt, and spills are simply wiped up too.

If you like the carpet idea for the warmth and 'fuzzyness' of it, then I'd put a wood floor in, (doesn't have to be a fancy one), and cut a chunk of shag carpet to size to put on top of it. That way, when the carpet get dirty, you just take it outside and shake it out, and you can leave it out in the sun where it'll dry out completely.

but, it's your van man...you do whatever makes you happy! :)

Sorry for the confusion but here is the build of the van thus far : 

1 Layer of Reflectix 1 1/3 inch away from the surface of the van walls.

2 layers of styrofoam insulation around the entirety of the van.

The walls are done in industrial carpet. This is the ones you can see in Best Buy or Radio Shack. The really flat carpet that is extremely easy to vacuum / clean.

The back windows are completely blacked out similar to cargo vans.

Looking at installing a space heater and the solar panels relatively soon.

The thing I am having a hard time with right now is building a wall for the back of the van since it is a circular shape.

Hard to explain.

Anyways, I was going to put up an additional wall and use insulation. As I do plan on being in a somewhat colder climate compared to most van builds that I have seen.

The additional wall was going to be placed towards the rear of the van thus creating the illusion that it is a worker van if I do happen to have to open it. However, I was also planning on keeping my clothes back there as well.

Planning on giving the illusion that I am a painter.

The van is almost finished being built.

Installed the bed today -

I also designed a custom tapestry from an old one I had using photoshop and my friends silk printer.

Sorry for the blur.

These were taken last night around 10pm. Last night was a busy day for the van.

Built a partition, put up curtains over the partition and got the tapestry fitted to the roof of the van.

Got the Mr. Buddy heater mounted to the partition with enough space as to not cause a fire / hazard.

Installed another layer of insulation around the entirety of the van. Insulation is now 2 inches including reflectix which is 1 1/4 inch off of the surface.

Looking into ventilation is proving to be a real nightmare... Any suggestions on ventilation through the floor as I would like to be 100% stealth most of the time?

I do plan on being on BLM land for the majority of the year however.

SinnTek said:
Got the Mr. Buddy heater mounted to the partition with enough space as to not cause a fire / hazard.

Installed another layer of insulation around the entirety of the van. Insulation is now 2 inches including reflectix which is 1 1/4 inch off of the surface.

Looking into ventilation is proving to be a real nightmare... Any suggestions on ventilation through the floor as I would like to be 100% stealth most of the time?

I do plan on being on BLM land for the majority of the year however.

I've seen floor ventilation done by putting in one of the marine units that are meant for 'thru-hull' applications. It had a screw in top and they had affixed window screening to the bottom to keep the bugs from getting in.

You just want to make sure that you've put it in some spot that won't be interfered with by anything under the van floor like exhaust systems and you want to make sure you close it back up before moving the vehicle or parking on hot pavement.

Almost There said:
I've seen floor ventilation done by putting in one of the marine units that are meant for 'thru-hull' applications. It had a screw in top and they had affixed window screening to the bottom to keep the bugs from getting in.

You just want to make sure that you've put it in some spot that won't be interfered with by anything under the van floor like exhaust systems and you want to make sure you close it back up before moving the vehicle or parking on hot pavement.

I was thinking of doing something like PVC pipes with a closing lid and mesh for keeping bugs out. Just an idea from someone elses post.

flailer said:
Won't solar panels detract from stealth far more than a roof vent? 
Won't said panels hide the roof vent? 
idunno, just asking

The solar panel is going to be installed under the ladderrack that I have on the van now, so not entirely going to give it away unless someone climbs on top of the van at which point I'd be awake. Ex-military so I tend to be a really light sleeper.

SinnTek said:
I also designed a custom tapestry from an old one I had using photoshop and my friends silk printer.

Built a partition, put up curtains over the partition and got the tapestry fitted to the roof of the van.
How did you attach the "tapestry" to the roof?  I'm planning on putting up foam board on the ceiling, and using pins to attach a covering, quilts or whatever I find at flea markets.  I'm thinking it will work good.

HarmonicaBruce said:
How did you attach the "tapestry" to the roof?  I'm planning on putting up foam board on the ceiling, and using pins to attach a covering, quilts or whatever I find at flea markets.  I'm thinking it will work good.

It's pretty easy actually.

If your roof is insulated with styrofoam / board use this -
http://www.zoro.com/i/G3218871/?utm...hopping_Feed&gclid=CNf8hu6ur8MCFQeKaQodnL0AKg

Home Depot has one that is 80+ so I would recommend going to them. I just can't find it on their site atm.

Basically, you spray the insulation / board and let the adhesive dry slightly. It does help to have some help though but once it has dried a good bit take one end of the tapestry and press it to the back of the roof, then slowly press it along the edges until it's even.

Kind of hard to do by yourself.

For a stealth vent use the space of your rear license plate. Thats what I am going to do. I am going to make a rectangle large enough to fit two 5 inch computer fans (hooked to dimmer switches to control their speed). This will enable me to suck air in or out... still have to figure out how to make them go in reverse. I am also going to put a 2 inch hole and pvc pipe somewhere else in the floor of van for cross ventilation.

One Awesome Inch said:
For a stealth vent use the space of your rear license plate. Thats what I am going to do. I am going to make a rectangle large enough to fit two 5 inch computer fans (hooked to dimmer switches to control their speed). This will enable me to suck air in or out... still have to figure out how to make them go in reverse. I am also going to put a 2 inch hole and  pvc pipe somewhere else in the floor of van for cross ventilation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: But if the fans are DC , can't you simply reverse the polarity to reverse the direction the fan is blowing?