Just a dreamer right now...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayaserrella

Reaction score
I started researching RV life for myself a little over 3 years ago.  It was induced by panic over an upcoming surgery and I wanted to run away (insert snort and eyeroll here).  I got the surgery(thyroid removed) but the RVing bug bit me, hard.  I started watching a lot of videos and slowly realized that I didn't have to necessarily buy an RV.  I blame(bless?) Mr. Bob Wells for cluing me into the fact I could do it in a van.  Much more in line with my frugal pocketbook.  Thank you, Mr. Wells.  You sir, are definitely an Earth-bound angel.

I am several years away from being able to tap my pension and retirement insurance, so for now I am going to have to slowly ease into it.  I already have taken a couple of steps on the journey.  In July, I am moving in with longtime friends and renting their upstairs rooms.  That will give me at least a couple of hundred a month to save and put into my journey.  As soon as I can save enough, I plan to buy an Astro or Safari van to convert for weekend/vacation trips.  I already have most of what I need for absolute minimums.  I like to car camp!

After I can receive my pension and tap my retirement accounts at 53(I'm 46 now), I can hit the road full time.  Yes, I am holding onto the lifeline/safety of having a guaranteed income, but I plan on retiring the first chance I get if I don't end up on disability(I have Rheumatoid Arthritis) beforehand. Once I can, I plan to travel in the Astro for a couple years doing the touristy things first.  I so want to see the great beauty of this country.  The flora, fauna and especially the people.  Once I have that kind of out of my system, I plan to purchase a larger van and convert it for the slower kind of travel.  

I think I got lucky on the family front, though.  My parents told me to chuck everything overboard, buy a van, hit the road and figure out how to pay for it as I go!  Eek! They live in a Class A mostly in Alabama, but do a lot of side trips in their SUV/hotels.  My sister in Michigan is the camp host at their local RV park with her husband.  They have a S&B in town, but live at the park during the warm months.  So it runs in the family. 

Sorry for the long post, but I have been lurking for about a year and decided to finally put action to words, instead of dreams.  

Blessed be, light and love.

Welcome Mayaserrella to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  hang in there you will get it.   highdesertranger

I reckon we are all dreamers and wouldn't have it any other way!

Mayaserrella said:
After I can receive my pension and tap my retirement accounts at 53(I'm 46 now), I can hit the road full time.  Yes, I am holding onto the lifeline/safety of having a guaranteed income, but I plan on retiring the first chance I get if I don't end up on disability(I have Rheumatoid Arthritis) beforehand. Once I can...

This is exactly why I decided to do the van dwelling thing as well! I will work for another year and then, hopefully, just jump! If I don't do it soon, I may not be able to later! Welcome to the forum!

I accidentally deleted a few posts when I moved this thread to the Newcomer's Corner so if you welcomed Mayaserrella already and your post has vanished please welcome her again. Thanks!!
(sorry about that Mayaserrella)

Hello and welcome!

Sounds like a quality plan. Some of us reach the point where we've played the working game long enough that there reward is too close to ignore, we are in the same boat, although I already took my pittance... just waiting for my honey to make the leap.

rvwandering said:
I accidentally deleted a few posts when I moved this thread to the Newcomer's Corner so if you welcomed Mayaserrella already and your post has vanished please welcome her again. Thanks!!
(sorry about that Mayaserrella)

That's quite alright.  You manage to fix my original boo-boo, so you did good.  Thank you.

Welcome aboard...the dream is where it starts:)